Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stolen scooter

Options
  • 25-11-2003 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

2 weeks ago today my scooter was stolen in waterford , thursday of that week i put up reward signs for its return . A group of guys rang me and brought me to an estate where it was , well bits of it anyway . I rang the guards on the spot and they refused to come out to me claiming the bike sounded like too much of a wreck to do an investigation on , i soon realised the guys with me were the guys who stole it as they knew my name and address and all my college gear had been in it when it was robbed but then wasnt there when i got the bike back.
    the bikes a right off i had to get a loan for a new one and since then these guys have gave me prank calls , seen me in the area and hurled abuse at me , and also ive found out there naames and been to the guards AND NOTHINGS BEEN DONE, just today i saw the guys trying to steal stuff from the shopping centre ,is this right??i know there names , why cant i sue there parents for the money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I'm so sorry babe...

The gardai not been much of a help in Waterford is no surprize to me...

I might know a few people who know these punks in town and if not we'll intorduce Bozzie to them :D ....

You have meh number and I'll be in college all week if you want to talk about it...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

what can you do?
    The gardai are and will continue to be useless (unless you [being law abiding] put a foot wrong).
    In terms of taking legal action, tbh there is nothing you can do. You have no way of proving in front of a contrary old judge that these scumbags did this to your bike.
    Basically it comes down to the fact that there is sweet FA that you can do (excluding baseball bats).

"it would have been worth them doing it if i could have caught them doing it"
    vincent vega. pulp fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Can you not make an insurance claim? I know nothing of scooters, except that I hate them, but I would've thought you needed minimum insurance, ie 3rd party, fire & theft. And your's falls into the theft bracket...

I went to college in WRTC myself (10 years ago; best days of my life.... sigh) and I'd say you're maybe talking about one of a couple of estates quite close to the college ;-) We were broken into twice during my 5 years there, and I must say I found the local cops to be excellent by comparison to anywhere else I've lived.

However, as I found out when my someone tried to steal my car a couple of years ago, the laws regarding theft of a vehicle are completey moronic: The cops told me at the time that if they caught the scumbag(s) responsible that they would get max a £50 fine, as it was classed as a motoring offence! And if they're on "the social" they'd even get free legal aid! So, in other words, not worth the cops' while persuing it.

Make a claim, and buy a push bike, and spend some of the change in the Dome (or any one of the fine pubs in the city). And get a cheap one, as that'll probably be stolen too...

(BTW, I'm not running Waterford down: I even got married there in August. Great spot, but like any big town/city bad stuff happens... )

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you not make an insurance claim?
    because of the crap insurance industry and the fact that only one company will cover the OP and they generally only offer third policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Oh right, fair enough.

Push bike and no pints it is then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Sorry to hear about that.

There was a gang operating here in Dublin who were stealing bikes (usually expensive machines like R1's etc) and holding them to ransom for a few grand. If you called the cops you got kneecapped, end of bike + biking career. The main man is a relative of a crime boss. The police knew what was going on but nothing was ever done about it. They were too busy catching "speeding" motorists around the corner.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Hey there,

Sorry to hear about your scooter being stolen.. but alas there isnt much you can
    so and to be honest the cops in waterford arent the most helpful at the best of
    times... believe me, im from the place and the amount of times ive heard of them being called for one reason or another and they not even bothering they arses to
    come is unreal..

But thats not really what you need to hear. The fact remains that there isnt a lot u
    can do unless u put in an insurance claim.. as for the crank calls, changing your
    phone is maybe an option there as with these scum, they look for easy targets and
    they see a female as a easy target..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I saw your posters up in the college- miserable luck. As Searrard says, it's no surprise that you got no help from Waterford guards, that's nothing new.
    Hope you get something sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sniffler

Sorry to hear that about your scooter. It might be a coincidence, but I saw a stolen silver scooter being picked up by the guards that weekend on the outskirts of the city. By the time they'd picked it up it was in a bad state as most the plastic bodywork and lights had been broken off it. The scum who was on it at the time hid among a nearby crowd and the guards still picked him out and had a few words with him so he must have been well known to them. It didn't lead to much though as they put the bike in the back of a garda van and left the skanger behind. I assume the bike went back to the station and isn't yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    the bikes a right off i had to get a loan for a new one and since then these guys have gave me prank calls
    Make a complaint of harassment - they can trace the numbers. Eircom have a harassment hotline (check phone book).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

the next time they abuse you go to the station and report them and if he says theres nothing they can do then ask to make an appointment with the super intendant and see what happens!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    the next time they abuse you go to the station and report them and if he says theres nothing they can do then ask to make an appointment with the super intendant and see what happens!!!

If its the super in waterford, it wont make much of a difference believe me.. he's as useless as the rest of them... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

hey i jus got back to reply today , i see there aint much faith in the waterford gardai.....................im not surprised . yeah i cant ring eircom because they were ringing me off a private number , seems to have stopped now but i cant go near lisduggan because i know them to see em and they know me and they keep roaring at me and jeering and i could do without tthem following me and doin me new bike in.
    yea the insurance was third party only , ,, its just not fair , like they had the cheek to ring me for a reward and they knew my name and everything they had obviously burned all my college gear .
    hey thats cool that u saw my sign at college , one girl rang me and it turned out there was a good possibility a guy in a school in lisduggan was selling it but alas i told the guards and surprise surprise nothing they could do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

The gardai are and will continue to be useless (unless you [being law abiding] put a foot wrong).
    In terms of taking legal action, tbh there is nothing you can do. You have no way of proving in front of a contrary old judge that these scumbags did this to your bike.

So if he can't prove how are the Guards to prove it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

im a gurly, guess what ? yesterday evening my sister came out of work near AOL in waterford her car had been brikon into and an attempted hot wire job , my sis is only driving two weeks , the guards came down said they had a fair idea who done it but could nt prove it , showed my sis how to hot wire it and told her to take ti to a garage to get sorted out . that town just gets worse , i cant believe how much people are getting away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I dunno if anyone saw that nationwide program recently where they followed around scum from the estates in dublin. Jesus H christ, i've never wanted to kill them more than after watching that program. Some of these pr1cks are walking around still robbing bikes and phones with 60 and 70 + convictions to their name. And what do the government have to say about this, seeing as the deterent of juvenile centers isn't working,.....**** all really, new stupid child acts.
    Its gone beyond a point now, with 70+ convictions its time to throw them in a cage and lock it indefinetly.

I'm really tired of driving into dublin or any town and leaving my bike, and having to spend the day wondering if its going to be there when i get back despite the amount of locks i put on it.

Advertisement