Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clint computer auto-dials connection??

Options
  • 25-11-2003 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

:confused: I have a 2 computer home network with a shared dial up internet connection. I have Zonealarm Pro on the host and the free Zonealarm on the client. Every so often for no apparent reason, the client dials up a connection but doesn't appear to launch any programs like Explorer or Outlook. Its a bit scary! Any ideas?

Thanks

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It could be spyware on yours or any other machine on the network, trying to access the internet. It could be legitimate software trying to access.

Best thing to do is to limit ICS so that you have to go to the gateway and manually dialup every time to want to access the net...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jorg

Thanks Seamus,

How can I restrict ICS to allow dial-up from the host only?

Joe

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Using xp, right click on your isp's icon in your network connections folder. Go to the advanced page, and de-select "Allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection".

Hope that helps...

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jorg

Thanks for the reply Mark. Unfortunately, I'm using Win98 and this option is not available.

Joe

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Really? Damn, I want my client computer to initiate the connection, but didn't think it was an option unless the host computer was xp. Download adaware, make sure your virus scannner is up to date and check that out too...

Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement