Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN & Packet Loss

Options
  • 16-11-1999 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Is there something generally up with connections to the UK atm? I have a pIII 500, 192 megs o RAM and a Zyxel Omninet isdn TA. Conns to quake.ie are perfect, but connect to a uk server and its ploss and jerking all over the shop.

I've already disabled FindFast and all that other crap that Win98 loads on startup, is there any other things i can try or is it just the crappy Irish phone system as per usual?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

CT, can you give me the low down on isdn pricese from eircom incl. installation fee and all that crap. I am seriously thinking of getting it installed and since it takes a few months may aswell start saving up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

348 + vat usually, they were running an offer when i got mine put in about a month ago for 128 pound off that price, dunno if thats still going on now, give em a buzz.

The modem is around 100 for an internal card, or 200ish for an external. Line rental is 29 a month.

Waiting time is prolly around three months these days, so i'd order it now if i were you smile.gif

Yea just rang them there and gave them my details. So it takes two weeks in order for them to ring me up to tell me whether I can get it or not, that's nice isn't it ? My dad knows one or two people in there fairly high up see if I can get him to pull a few strings for me. And Conor, what about telephone calls is it the usual 11.5p for 15 mins off peak ? Krash says he's paying 58p/min but sure ringing Australia is cheaper than that. ?

I think Krash prolly meant 58p an hour. its the same as phone i.e. 11p for 15 mins or so, so it would come in at about 58p odd an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

But is it not connected through 2 lines, meaning double the cost??

• Advertisement

Nope, you get two lines, but a 64k connect only uses one of them. You can use the other one as well if you like, and would then be paying for two calls, either for the 128k connect, or for two comps to use each line seperately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

and a 64k connect gets you?? 70 ping maybe??

in q2 on one of the quake.ie war servers, 55-60 with the server empty, 80-110 when its full and you're moving and shooting. No packet loss whatsoever tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

So can you choose randomly whether you wish to use 64 or 128...ie big game switch to 128 for 30 minutes or so required?

Well you would need a 128k dialup account with Eircom or whoever (i heard that they suport 128k isdn on the free access scheme). and the relevant software to use both lines of the TA at once instead of the one. I'm just assuming the software bit cos i've not tried a 128k connect.

• Advertisement

Does the TA modem take care of the two lines or do you have to get a second one ? Also, which one is the best to get and where do you get them from ?

Castor...me is thinking about getting it. All in all ...is it worth it ?

Creative: definitely if you do a lot of online gaming or browsing etc. the difference is mad. 1/3 the ping, basically no phonejacking unless the server is b0rked, downloads at 7-8k a sec, rock solid connection.

All this for an extra 20 a month for the line rental seeing as calls cost the same. Right, i'm off to get me brown envelope from Eircom now smile.gif

btw, i sorted out the ploss prob to some extent, just switched to the Indigo 6047000 number, hey presto its as smooth as a jellied eel in a tub of lard.

indeed

afaik, the one TA and RJ45 cable will do for the 128k connect. I have a Zyxel Omninet ta which was 200 quid about eight months ago.

However you can get internal isdn modems dead cheap now, try www.scan.co.uk they have Eicon Diva's for 40 quid sterling plus VAT. The uk lads seem to think they are the bee's knees.

I got mine in a small computer shop in Parliament Street, cant remember the name, and i dunno if its still there, have a look if yer passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

that would have been IT Direct.
    Its still there smile.gif

They got a webpage up any where ?

Just rang them to see if they had Eicon Diva's, lo and behold they do them but they dont have em. Ordered one and he said it should be in next tuesday or so. 70 pounds is the price.

I heard that the internal ones are better because you dont have the cables and such into the ol com ports, the direct connection via pci slot is better.

Advertisement