Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL DNS breakdown?

• 25-11-2003 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

i couldn't use the internet from 6pm today 'till now.(26/11/03)

no working IE, no working telnet, not any other kinda connects either.

the only connection alive is by typing IP address in the brower.

i reckoned that it might be the dns prob.

then i manually changed the DNS server address from control panel.

now everything works fine.

just wondering if any other NTL users are experiencing this difficulty?

p.s. i'm a ntl home600 user based in tallaght!

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ro_G

i am on ntl600 in Tallaght as well. No problem on HTTP tonight, but can't seem to do any FTP or pings?

I am using proxy 62.254.96.5 with 8080.

Been ****ng around for an hour with passive, port 21, cmd line ftp but nowt.

When I take it off the above proxy I get nada. it is definatley having dns problems but the ICMP and FTP thing is more troublesome. i am having to webshell up a site or go back to dial-up. Bleugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The secondary (194.168.8.100) is back up for all it's worth, I ran NTL's business line support a few hours ago and they had no idea when it would be solved - I'm using Eircom's DNS at the moment.

This has happened several times over the past few months. It's getting a bit ridiculous now.

Edit 00:30 or so: the primary DNS is finally back up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

It was something to do with some isp failure in the UK, guess ntl's routing in Ireland was affected too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

NTl broadband was attacked tonite ,

seemingly a possible DOS (denial of service) attack, this comes from the network

boyos in the UK,

as of now its back up, seemingly they just put more filters on the servers, If you

were connected to say like me an online game you were ok as long as you didnt log

off,

i found that out myself.. Logged of didnt I.

Have to say for an event like a Possible DOS attack they were back up pretty fast!

good job NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ro_G

yeah back up for me now as well. at least http wasn't down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

just use any other dns server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

Leap customers were affected as well, it seems Leap use NTL's DNS servers also??? strange that? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

both of NTL's dns servers 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 were down alright.
    They still were as of 0900 this morning for me. Couldn't get on the net at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

I had the same problem yesterday here in Lucan. Switching to a proxy address worked fine but I couldn't play any online games. Checked this morning at 9:30am before heading to work and everything was working fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by X4
    i couldn't use the internet from 6pm today 'till now.(26/11/03)
    .p.s. i'm a ntl home600 user based in tallaght!

sound like a fishly story, but it seems this is the reason for your problems...

Damaged undersea cable blamed for UK Net problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

i have been using my own DNS servers for the last few months. i had problems with their 194.168.4/8.100 numbers for ages though. its giving me that breakour.ntli.com page for ages. im just using a squid and bind server at home for speed of internet and its working grand. theres a tip for ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm on virgin.net dsl and they use NTL's dns servers 194.168.4/8.100
    Yesterday the connection was a little flakey, then went down completely about 10pm. They got hit with a massive DOS. My dsl only came back up around 10am today.

not only that but theres a link between the US, uk and mainland europe that was hit. Read it here. thats causing havoc as far as i can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Chada

Hey,

my (and my housemates) have been experiencing nothing but constant aggreviation at NTL 1mb cable service. At first, we couldnt get a decent game anytime it was always spiking and lagging all over the place. Next we rang NTL and they sent a guy out to supposedly fix our box at the end of the street.

After that, all pings were grand up until last nite where the network mysteriously shut itself off:(

then we got it back online by fixing our DNS and ip addresses manually, but now when i go online we are getting download rates of 0.7-1.2kb/s and our pings in steam are spiking from 20-200 constantly with a sharp spike to 1000 or so every 20seconds or so.

Tbh im getting quite fed up with NTL and thinking of changing, so is any1 else experiencing these problems and maybe have a solution? (We are in Belfast btw)

Cheers,

daN^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Really? I have a few mates in Belfast with NTL cable and they get a great connection...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Originally posted by Emboss
    just use any other dns server

Excuse my ignorance. I'm not too knowledgable about this stugg. How does one do that?

Originally posted by BendiBus
    Excuse my ignorance. I'm not too knowledgable about this stugg. How does one do that?

in the tcp/ip properties of the network card

change it from automatically obtain dns servers

to use the following and pop in the dns server of your choice...

i generally use 1 from ntl and 1 from eithier eircom/iol/esat

Originally posted by Chada
    Hey,

my (and my housemates) have been experiencing nothing but constant aggreviation at NTL 1mb cable service. At first, we couldnt get a decent game anytime it was always spiking and lagging all over the place. Next we rang NTL and they sent a guy out to supposedly fix our box at the end of the street.

After that, all pings were grand up until last nite where the network mysteriously shut itself off:(

then we got it back online by fixing our DNS and ip addresses manually, but now when i go online we are getting download rates of 0.7-1.2kb/s and our pings in steam are spiking from 20-200 constantly with a sharp spike to 1000 or so every 20seconds or so.

Tbh im getting quite fed up with NTL and thinking of changing, so is any1 else experiencing these problems and maybe have a solution? (We are in Belfast btw)

Cheers,

daN^

never had a problem great service

1mb cable? where is this being offered? im on 600k in dublin, but if theres a 1mb connection, im upgrading!

I heard about a 1MB line coming out at the start of 2004. You can read about it here. Don't know if it is true or not ??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=124328

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

must be in the north

it would be nice and i have to see if they will do it, but the pain in the ass in the 1gb cap a day. i have gone over mine in the last 6 hours and thats now kind of screwed. thankfully i have only used about 16gb this month, so i download a lot till aboutr monday.

I rang to complain about the cap and was told that they are not inforcing it !! Has anyone gone over and got a slap from them?

Mostly I'm under the 1GB limit about sometimes I go over a bit. 1.57GB is the most I've been over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by carrotcake
    must be in the north
    Unless he was talking about some other Belfast.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Originally posted by Chada
    Hey,

Cheers,

daN^

We have the exact same problems, they're redoing the fiber ring in Belfast ATM, so things are up and down. Also, if you have a STB, you can sometimes help the connection by unscrewing the cables from the splitter box and rescrewing them, nice and tight.

Hope this is of some help.

Civilian_Target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Unless he was talking about some other Belfast.....
    wow, you're so cool :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by GerardKeating
    sound like a fishly story, but it seems this is the reason for your problems...

Damaged undersea cable blamed for UK Net problems

I'm not sure how likely that is tbh - to the best of my knowledge the NTL DNS servers are located in London, and the cable ring was apparently damaged just off the US coast and near France, presumably leaving the connection between Ireland and the UK intact; although that would depend on where exactly on this line we fit in.

I'd find the DOS idea to be more believable, but apparently other UK ISPs had similar problems. So either there was some sort of wide-scale attack on UK ISPs :ninja: , or the line fault was in fact to blame.

Here's a good site to check for any NTL problems.

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp

Read the posting for the 25th !!

Advertisement