Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it legal to ask for a refund?

• 26-11-2003 1:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

i bought a toy from forbidden planet, and it was faulty(broken arm), i went to exchange it, they did it, when i got home opened the box damn! broken leg, it was broken in the place where i didn't notice it in store, now i just want to return and get my money back, can i get it back? i mean the product was faulty 2 times!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Yeap, if the product is not of merchantable quality you can ask for a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

thanks BoB!

gonna go tomorrow to ask for the refund, oh God i hope everything will go ok and without a fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'm not sure whether they have to give you an actual refund (although if they're reasonable people they will) - they could just give you a credit note to the value of the toy.

The best thing to do would probably be to get one of the staff to inspect a third figure for damage, and if it's in perfect condition, to swap it for that - that way you get your toy in the end!

well if they won't that means - war! calling manager and stuff..., plus legaly i'm right, and they didn't notify me if they have any special rules there

i already went twice, i wanted to make a present for my friend but i've had enough with this sh*t, it's better i give him money and he buys what he wants himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Consumer rights that priority over any store policy - if the store cannot replace the broken product with a perfectly working one then you have a case to get a full refund. You are not obliged to take a credit note - as you didn't get what you paid for. If you are unhappy about the replacement or any store policy just refuse and say that you will be in touch with the Consumers Assoc. or some such body - I'm sure you will get what you want then.

Be prepared before you go in - most shops do not know the law and being better prepared than them can be a great advantage.

Hyzepher

Thanks!

Great advices!

i won't accept anything but my money, no credits, no exchanges

gonna go today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Most shops out of goodwill will give a cash refund for products that are unwanted but some (namely HMV) will insist on giving credit notes.

Wheres products that do not fit their discription, not of merchantable quality or unfit for the use they were bought for I'm almost sure your entitled to a full cash refund or a replacement product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

they don't have to give you a full cash refund, they can give you vouchers or the option of an exchange. but forbidden planet are good people so you should get your money back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You're certainly entitled to a full refund at this stage.
    You would only (legally) be offered only a credit note if you returned the product purely because
    "you didn't like it"
    or
    "it didn't suit the room" or whatever.

If you've bought something and it broke, you then went back to the shop and got a replacement and it broke forcing you to go back again, you're definately entitled to a refund. As others have said "not of merchantable quality"

Insist or threaten them with reporting them to Consumer Affairs & the small claims court (although a dolly is hardly worth that hassle!)

• Advertisement

nah it isn't worth the court(that of course if it won't get personal and out of principle - which some shops usually make happen with their attitude), but i just will say(if i need) it to scare them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

the piece is obviously broken so i doubt there will be any problems

Hey guys!

i came back

before i went into the shop, a prepared my left for a war but to my surprise the guy took the toy without problems, of course he checked that it was really broken, while he was checking it, he almost broke it himself lol!

the salesman was very polite,

so all in all

i like Forbidden Planet! i'll recommend them to all my friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭oneweb

It often depends on the salesperson you go back to. And the sort of day they're having. Regardless the store policy, they could be up their own arse trying to make themselves feel important. (I know some ppl like that)

Always linger for a second to see who's in good form.
    And be nice about it. Say you got it but you're disappointed. Don't go screaming THIS IS A FUPPIN OUTRAGE!!! WHAT A DISGRACE YA SHOWER O WANKORS!!! :p;)

Full refund. And the store should investigate the batch of stock. (But don't tell 'em that bit)

It is what it's.

And the sort of day they're having. Regardless the store policy

OH yeah! the customer is always wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

If it is faulty they have to give you a full refund, you do not have to accept a replacement or a credit note. That's the law

leonotron - does that apply to the products that i just don't like and want to return or to the damaged ones only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    leonotron - does that apply to the products that i just don't like and want to return or to the damaged ones only?

No it would only apply to products that are damaged or faulty.
    Some retailers will give you a refund if you don't like what you bought (such as Dunnes and M&S) but others will just give you a credit note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

If you buy an item and it is not faulty you have NO rights at all.

If a shop does offer you ANYTHING it is in addition to your legal rights. It is also good customer care.

• Advertisement

If you buy an item and it is not faulty you have NO rights at all. - i wouldn't agree with that

what if go the store and want to buy a DVD player that plays divx files too, i myself don't know a thing about technology so i trust the sales person(which i never do, cause in Ireland 95% sales persons don't know what a hell do they sell), who of course he/she doesn't know anything him/her self, he/she recommends me something, i go home, unpack find out that it doesn't play divx files, what now? is it my fault? i think i have a right to go back and ask from a refund!

and the incompetence of the sales person cost me time! which is money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

@ CyberGhost

In that case the goods wouldn't be fit for the purpose for which they were sold (ie being able to play mpeg4/divx files) and wold fall squarely within the remit of the 1980 Act. The difficulty would be in being able to prove that the guy said it could play divx. Either way, a half smart shopkeep would offer an exchange.

"The difficulty would be in being able to prove that the guy said it could play divx"

well that's the whole fecking problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It /is/ the whole problem yeah.

Say I went into a leccy shop to get some device for warming bread (we'll call it a toaster). I speak nicely to a store clerk who recommends the latest offering from Philips. I take it home in its box to find that the plonker has managed to sell me something that seems to be a device for heating water (we'll call it a kettle). I take it back to the shop, say there appears to be nothing wrong with it and that I want an exchange. I only want an exchange because yer man isn't going to give me a refund (which I should be entitled to - I asked for a bread heater and got a water heater). If he tells me to take a running jump the only thing I can do is argue. Which I really shouldn't have to do. You could make the case that I should know the capabilities of the device but I relied completely on the advice of the store guy. Am I an idiot. Well no (not even if I got a kettle instead of a toaster).

It's a problem, trouble is there's no way around it unless I get a signed note from the store guy saying it's a bread heater (or a divx player).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

uh, playing dvix with a toaster ? are you mad ?!?

My experience has been that in situations where you need to revisit the store it's always easier to catch flies with honey. Store employees are, by and large, just regular people like you and I.
    It's amazing how far a smile and hello will get you; phrases like "hello <insert name from namebadge> - how's your day been ?" will get their attention and works better than ranting. If they're obviously hassled (i.e. there's dozens of customers and the manager has phecked off for an externded lunch) then a bit of sympathy for their situation and acknowledging that they need to hear a complaint like they need a hole in the head.... usually works for me. I've managed to get goods exchanged and refunded when I probably had no right to do so.

Example : yesterday my wife bought a dress (for a christmas party next weekend) and arrived home to find that the security tag was still attached. removing the tag would destroy the dress and there was no way she could go back into town this week (and why should she?). A polite call to the shop with no ranting and they immediately apologized and offered a 25 euro voucher if she came back in to the shop. After explaining that it really wouldn't be possible they offered to send someone out to our house to remove the tag. Obviously much more convenient but my wife suggested she go to one of their partner stores near our home and save them a journey - no skin off anyone's nose. The store was delighted and insisted on giving her the voucher anyway.

....flies with honey....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Spacebutler™

Yo i work in Forbidden Planet and damn straight, we are a cool bunch of people. lol
    thsi boards.ie thing is cool. I just registered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Forbidden Planet sucks !

yea, it usually takes just a smile but in some cases, you have to shout and complain so they take you seriously

as for sucking - it-direct REALY SUCKS! i hate that shop and everyone there! especially one guy!

Spacebutler - cool man! what is your job in the shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by shabbyroad
    uh, playing dvix with a toaster ? are you mad ?!?

http://www.casemodgod.com/kitchen_toaster_pc.htm

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Spacebutler™

Thanks guys, well im nice and try to help anyone in any way i can. The one guy you mention......i know who you are talking about. lol. Ive delt with costomers bringing stuff back and i allways offer them straight away do they want to swap for a new one. But a refund requires the manager, and it depends what manager is on and like one of you said what mood he is in ect. i only work at weekends!

Advertisement