Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolermaster Confuzzlement

Options
  • 26-11-2003 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Im building a new pc based on a barton XP2500 and am likely to overlclock it a little.
    The coolermaster fan I have got - a CP5-8JD here doesnt have any thermal compound with it, but I noticed it does have a tiny pad thingy where the h/s would touch the cpu. The installation pdf here (you can see the pad in the second pic ) also makes no mention of thermal paste.

so my question is does this h/s not require thermal paste?? or should I slap some on anyways.

Since this pc is for a friend I want to avoid any of those future 'support' calls. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

The pad is supposed to take the place of paste. If you were serious about your cooling you'd take a good solvent to it, lap the metal base, lap the core, then use the tiniest drop of Arctic Silver or something. Running within spec though it should be fine as-is.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

You can either use the pad that's on it OR remove it completely and use thermal paste.

I'd advise removing the pad and using Arctic Silver 5 or Silver Grease. Cheaper pastes are no better than the supplied pad.

NB removing the pad can void warranty!!

Warning: Once you use the pad, the compound will melt and fill the grooves in your HS making it very hard to remove afterwards without actually lapping the HS. Therefore, decide before trying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

thought that might be the case - cheers folkies. Will prolly run with the pad since its not for me :)

Advertisement