Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1 banknote ?

Options
  • 26-11-2003 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

http://kurier.at/bilderdestages/405665.php/picture/2

found this while surfing the web i dont speak german so i dont know what it says,but it looks like they may be introducing a €1 banknote(i dont think the greeks, italians etc like having large coins)

does anyone know anything about this, also will the front of the euro coins be changing next year to represent all the new members

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I'm not sure if the coins will change?
    But when the eastern block countries do join, do they join the euro-zone immediately or is there an extra period before introduciton of the euro into these countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

They'd want to change the material of the notes if they're going to make a €1, the €5 are bad enough as it is.
    Something like the Australian notes, they're a plastic paper kinda thingy, they dont seem to wear too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

But when the eastern block countries do join, do they join the euro-zone immediately or is there an extra period before introduciton of the euro into these countries?

as far as i aware they have to be in the erm for 2 years before they join the euro (not 100% sure) but they do have to eventually join the euro

the reason i ask about the coins is at the moment they just show 15 countries which wont be correct from may next year, as there will be more countries in the eu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are the €1 notes definitely coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭asmith

Try google's translation tool http://www.google.com/language_tools to translate the url in the original post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I'd rather see them remove the 1/2 cent from circulation. They aren't really good for anything and some shops already only give out the 5cent as the lowest coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Looks like this is the winning design in a competition and not in fact a 1 euro note whos introduction is impending.

It and LOADS of other designs can be seen here:
    http://www.banconote.it/main2.php?p=euro

I think this is a rough translation of the text on that page: (could be wrong)
    The judge in the Banconote.it competition for designing a 1 euro note has chosen the winning sketch. The winner was the design by Antonio Carafa, 40 years of age, from Montelupo, Fiorentino. The winner will receive as a prize, one rare 40 year old 1000 Lira banknote. Here, with Antonio Carafa's entry - to which the prize is awarded compliments of all the staff of Banconote.it - are the other sketches which were voted on by visitors to the site.

PS: I believe the translation of the german text on the original page is:
    If it were up to the Italian Website www.banconote.it this would be the new look 1-Euro-Banknote. The draft shown above came out as a winner from an international competition.

asmith that is a really useful link

cheers,

its a really nice design just a pity it doesnt look like it'll be introduced, but with all the east european countries that are going to be joining the euro they may lobby for a €1 note, i personally think it would be great, and would cut down all the change in your pocket

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

What bout 2euro note?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And a 10 bob (€0.50) note? :rolleyes: Move on people!

The EU+10 countries have been told the are unlikely to be in the Eurozone before 2008. Think of it - Irish prices are 4 times higher than Polish prices, putting them in the Eurozone next year would lead to hyperinflation in most +10 countries.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by rcunning03
    i dont think the greeks, italians etc like having large coins
    But it means you have taxi fare after a nights drinking! I think the Iralian 1000 lira coin was as big as an Irsh £1 coin, but in aluminium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

The Australian notes are also made of a flexible plastic and are waterproof.
    The also last for around 20 year's I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

There'll ever be a €1 note. Such a thing would be absolutely [Dustin]brutal[/Dustin]. Look at how many times you get and give a €5 note. It passes so much in circulation that it almost merits being a coin in itself.
    Plus imagine trying to pay for parking/toll bridge/cans from a machine using €1 notes :confused: It's bad enough the phone credit machines (cool idea as they are) have trouble paying out the amount you put in (They don't just -not take non-crisp notes-, they swallow them pretending you didn't put anything in!)

It'll never happen. It was just an artistic competition (some nice, some awful, plus the theme of the actual €uro notes is famous architecture (not having a €uro coin printed on a note, let alone another country's old coin ffs!)) And if it does indeed happen, let me be the first to eat one!

It is what it's.

Originally posted by conZ
    The Australian notes are also made of a flexible plastic and are waterproof.
    The also last for around 20 year's I think.
    I've seen some of those. Beautiful designs too. Pity the EU didn't go along the plasticising route :(

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Originally posted by oneweb
    I've seen some of those. Beautiful designs too. Pity the EU didn't go along the plasticising route :(

I have one, it's 5 australian dollars, very nice designs and I like the waterproofness of it, pity I can't use it though :D

It'll never happen. It was just an artistic competition (some nice, some awful, plus the theme of the actual €uro notes is famous architecture
    None of the structures on the notes actually exist, the design merely draw inspiration from existing designs and styles (bridges and doorways).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

...Look at how many times you get and give a €5 note. It passes so much in circulation that it almost merits being a coin in itself...

I heard a while back that they were thinking of introducing a €5 coin as the current fiver notes are in tatters. Although apparently Irish people are much harder on notes than most Europeans, the way most of people don't have wallets and just shove them into our pockets which then goes into the wash then the clothes dryer etc...

do americans have $1 notes and coins both in circulation, or are they gradually replacing the $1 note with the $1 coin

do americans have $1 notes and coins both in circulation, or are they gradually replacing the $1 note with the $1 coin
    There have been previous incarnatiosn of the $1 coin, but yes I imagine the will gradually phase out the €1 bill. Americans are notorious for giving and receiving the wrong change because all the notes had looked so alike (all same size, all green and white).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Victor
    There have been previous incarnatiosn of the $1 coin, but yes I imagine the will gradually phase out the €1 bill. Americans are notorious for giving and receiving the wrong change because all the notes had looked so alike (all same size, all green and white).

If they replace the $1 bill with coin, it would cripple all the black market ecomomies which the $1 is important.

The Yanks wont want to give up the $1 bill. They have tried as recently as 2000 to bring in coins but these have largely failed. Most vending machines dont accept the $1 coins but all accept $1 bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Michael Collins
    I heard a while back that they were thinking of introducing a €5 coin as the current fiver notes are in tatters. Although apparently Irish people are much harder on notes than most Europeans, the way most of people don't have wallets and just shove them into our pockets which then goes into the wash then the clothes dryer etc...
    I never heard about the 5€ coin but that thing about the note being in tatters was said long before they ever were in circulation. Alot has to do with it being placed on wet bars and people with wet hands handling it.

As for machines which take notes they are all over europe at least and they work fine.

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    If they replace the $1 bill with coin, it would cripple all the black market ecomomies which the $1 is important.
    Actually drug dealers hate $1 bills and such is the demand to change them to higher denominations that some shops charge 6 x $1 for a $5 bill. Who would have thought of it? Mom and Pop shops laundering money for drug dealers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I think the Iralian 1000 lira coin was as big as an Irsh £1 coin, but in aluminium.
    Shade smaller than the old (larger) 10p coin if I remember rightly (I've one here somewhere but I'm too lazy to look for it)

Actually drug dealers hate $1 bills

poor buggers as if they havent got enough hassle, what with the police and all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Originally posted by PPC
    They'd want to change the material of the notes if they're going to make a €1, the €5 are bad enough as it is.
    Something like the Australian notes, they're a plastic paper kinda thingy, they dont seem to wear too much.

as far as i know there is a plan in place to bring those platic-ish notes into the euro in the future

Originally posted by project-mayhem
    as far as i know there is a plan in place to bring those platic-ish notes into the euro in the future
    You'd think with all the planning that went into the things that they'd have covered them from the offset :( Perfect opportunity missed.
    [Edit: I seem to imply otherwise but I like the €uro]

It is what it's.

You'd think with all the planning that went into the things that they'd have covered them from the offset

the wearing of notes seems to be only a big problem in ireland cause we are so hard on notes. europeans (belgians anyway) will count out all the change required for a drink at the bar whereas we tend to just hand over a €5 note (or in some places €10). probably because of our closing times we dont want to waste precious seconds counting change, but in europe you can drink round the clock if you so wish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Actually drug dealers hate $1 bills and such is the demand to change them to higher denominations that some shops charge 6 x $1 for a $5 bill.

Sometimes I worry about the company you keep..... :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

...europeans (belgians anyway) will count out all the change required for a drink at the bar whereas we tend to just hand over a €5 note (or in some places €10). probably because of our closing times we dont want to waste precious seconds counting change, but in europe you can drink round the clock if you so wish

Probably because pints in most other countries don't cost a fiver each. Isn't it in Prague you can go out with a tenner, come home drunk and STILL have change? Actually, i know some people who can do that here too :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You'd think with all the planning that went into the things that they'd have covered them from the offset :( Perfect opportunity missed.
    Indeed. It's about 20 years since I saw the things on Tomorrows World.

Advertisement