Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1 banknote ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by sceptre
    Shade smaller than the old (larger) 10p coin if I remember rightly (I've one here somewhere but I'm too lazy to look for it)

Worth about 40p - and the 1000 notes were still around fairly recently (Montassori was on it) - In Italy they really want a €1 note

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by oneweb
    You'd think with all the planning that went into the things that they'd have covered them from the offset :( Perfect opportunity missed.
    I've found it's the fivers which take the worst battering, the rest are never a problem. People have put notes throught the washing machine and they survive.
    Originally posted by De Rebel
    Sometimes I worry about the company you keep..... :eek:
    Nah, just read and know too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Victor
    Americans are notorious for giving and receiving the wrong change because all the notes had looked so alike (all same size, all green and white).

I am sick of hearing about how hard US money is to copy all this guff you hear about getting the paper right. - it's dead easy all the counterfieters do is print on bleached one dollar bills..

But can't remember if it is 40% (maybe up to 60%) of US notes are held by foreign nationals - so scope to pull the plug on offshore deposits by changing the currency and use eurpoean rules when they try to change back again.

BTW: if you want aluminium money - the old Ost Phennig (1% of an east german mark) was about 1cm across...

and in the same way that the old 5p was the same size as the deutschmark, one of the italian coins was the same size as the euro (thinner - but you could still use for shopping trollies) 200L or 400L.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I find its fairly common now for shops (especially the chain convenience stores) to ask you for another €5 note if the one you try to pay with is in tatters. So I now make a point of examing any €5 notes they give to me in change. There has been loads of times I have handed back one they gave me and demanded a better one. On one occassion this girl refused to give me a different one, I asked her would she accept it if I tried to pay with it, she said no.

The problem is particularly bad in pubs/clubs, where the afformentioned wet bar / wet hands comes into play. They tend to throw your change at you, and before you have a chance to examine the state of the notes, they are gone pulling pints for the next person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Originally posted by PPC
    They'd want to change the material of the notes if they're going to make a €1, the €5 are bad enough as it is.
    Something like the Australian notes, they're a plastic paper kinda thingy, they dont seem to wear too much.

They're called Polymer notes apparently. And the Northern Bank introduced a £5 polymer note in 1999. Feels almost impossible to tear (well, it's money, so you're not going to try *that* hard). And most people between 16 & 35 like it apparently.

The really white parts on the note are actually see-through.

IEN-203-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Originally posted by Victor
    Americans are notorious for giving and receiving the wrong change because all the notes had looked so alike (all same size, all green and white).

And the big 1, 5, 10, 20 etc in the corners....:rolleyes:

I actually like the all the same size, colour...it actually works instead of those damn fivers that end up in every crease of me trousers..

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

The new $20 bill incorporates some color (peach & light blue) to combat confeiting

20_front.jpg

As for shops not accepting tattered fivers - surely a €5 note is legal tender and the shop has to accept this. I'd be on to the consumer affairs office about that...

Advertisement