Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Out Picket

Options
  • 26-11-2003 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

when a companies staff decide to take an all out picket, do they apply to the union?

or does the union apply to the irish congress of trade unions. and is there anywere i mite find more info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

If a group of workers wishs to go on strike it must be in relation to their work. Unfortunitly General Strikes were made illegal back in 1990.

If you wish to picket/strike you must decide by secret ballot and give your employer 7days notice.

The Business only has to recognise one union so you better go through the one represented by all the workers...

Not sure where to look for further info.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

well, say, im a member of a trade union and my fellow workers have been hard don by, and have decided to strike, we told the trade union, who then told the company, and 7 days later we picketed outside the factory, what power has the company have? can it prevent this picket taking place, can they let us go because we picketed?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The best route to take is through the Labour Reconciliation Committee or the Labour Court.

Note that stike action may affect apy rises under the "Sustaining Progress" agreement (not sure on this, but a strike will definitely affect benchmarking).
    Originally posted by wild_eyed
    well, say, im a member of a trade union and my fellow workers have been hard don by, and have decided to strike, we told the trade union, who then told the company, and 7 days later we picketed outside the factory, what power has the company have? can it prevent this picket taking place, can they let us go because we picketed?
    You really need to talk to your union (or a union) about this. But generally no, your employer cannot fire or harass you for going on strike, if you do so legally.

Flip side. You need a properly organised secret vote in favour of a strike. You must picket on the "public" (see below) road. You cannot trespass on the employer's or anyone else's site. You cannot invoke secondary picketing (i.e. people not involved in the dispute). You must walk up and down while picketing - there are fuzzy bits in the law seeing as most companies will own the land under the public road.
    Originally posted by wild_eyed
    my fellow workers have been hard don by,
    What do you mean by this?

ok, say, a few members of staff looked the wages of others in similiar jobs, and they realised that the majority of other employees had between a 10 to 15% wage increase in the last few years, so the trade union investigated this, and a meeting was held to discuss a wage increase, but the managers said that the company cud not afford this wage increase at the moment due to the markets etc, this was found out to be a huge lie,the company has been increasing its profites everyyear and the company deals in a growing market. during the next meeting, i want to know what to be prepared for, i.e. what cud the company throw at us, what will their next move be, now that they know, that we know, they can afford the wage increase!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

any more college projects the guys from boards can help you with, gwan post up your Year Round Project - A N O N I M I T Y on teh intarweb :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dont be a dick bazH. if u can help, help.

Advertisement