Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How easy is fitting a laptop HDD...?

• 26-11-2003 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I already posted this query on the tail end of another thread, but haven't had any feedback yet ("Patience my ass...!" :))

I've an old Compaq Presario notebook which came with a 4Gb HDD, which is forever 80% full. I've already increased the RAM to 128Mb — a piece of p*** since you don't even have to open the casing — but is fitting a new HDD as simple? The machine still runs Windows 98 SE reasonably well (for an old Celeron 333Mhz!) — and if I could just get a little extra HDD space I'd hold on to it as a 2nd machine. Compaq tell me the BIOS will recognise a new HDD up to 10Gb, and I see these going on Ebay for as little as Stg£30 plus p&p.

So what should I look out for? Do I just remove the old drive, connect the new one and reinstall the OS? Should I be wearing one of those anti-static wristbands? Avoid doing the job when the moon is full? Chant backwards in Latin as I remove the screws? (etc., etc.) As you can guess I'm a complete 'noob' at this, so would appreciate any advice anyone can offer...!

Cheers,
    peckerhead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I'd say if you can replace the ram and are capable or reinstalling the OS (Inc. all the drivers) then you are capable of replacing the HDD. It is as easy as replacing the Ram. Just plug and play.

Cal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Usually very easy to install.
    You normally unscrew a cover on the underneath and the drive simply clicks out and you click the new one in.
    Techincally, you should always wear an antistat strap but I never have. Just don't poke around in there with a battery.
    Best way to find out is to open up the compartment and look!
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Cheers, Cal & Kananga,

I'm only a bit nervous 'cause I made a complete haimes of trying to chip my kid's old PsOne a few weeks ago and ended up having to buy him a new PS2...! :(

PH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Would you like to chip my old PSone? *innocence*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Hey, I can sell you one already chipped..! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I'll take what's behind door number 2 please Bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The only thing you have to be careful of is the adapter that may be used for the pins on the drive. You will have to remove it from the old drive and put it on the new one. Not much too it really.

Advertisement