Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Protection Act & Phone Details

Options
  • 26-11-2003 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is it against the Data Protection Act for someone to obtains your personal details when all they have is a copy of your mobile number?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

yes
    if they retain it without our promission...

but just try and enforce that hey...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So, if someone obtained your name and address when all they had was your mobile number then they have broken the act?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by jester77
    So, if someone obtained your name and address when all they had was your mobile number then they have broken the act?

No, I don't believe so.

Given that phone numbers and addresses are published in a public directory, the information is not private in any way unless its an unlisted number...although I could be wrong there.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Is there a public directory for mobile numbers? If so how does one access it?
    I know with land lines one can go through the freely available phone books but I never came across one for mobile numbers.

If I was to ring one of the mobile providers and ask them to give the details for a number, would they do that? I'm almost sure they cant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Did you ask them /how/ they retrieved your personal details? Presumably they got them from your mobile service provider, in which case you need to take it up with them.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As best I know, reverse directories and not kosher (or even halal!) you can ask for the number of the person at such and such an address, but cannot ask the name of the person at a certain number (unless you have good reason to - e.g. Garda, courts, etc.)

Advertisement