Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galactic Civilizations

Options
  • 26-11-2003 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Any body played this yet, I got it a week ago and cant get enough. ITS GREAT

Galactic Civilizations Home Page

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

this looks like a civ3 type game (same maker?).
    Must take a closer look and probably buy it at some point.

Thanks for heads up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

its very like the civ series, havnt played civ3 however. Couple of points I noted was that its just as easy to by any method, ie military might is not the justifiable end to win the game, research, economic might, cultural influence all can lead to victory. Aswell as that the military section can be totally espionage, deigned to destabilise the oppostion. The research is good to, your options change depending on the cultural choices you make, eg just finished researching the dark side:)
    God help me I am going to fail my exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Your chances of passing your exams just got worse. There's an expansion pack on the way.

Played the demo and thought it was pretty good. Very in depth tho, so I'm waiting till I have a good bit of free time before I pick it up.

I dont believe it the expansion pack is free to those who bought the game, although it is really more of a patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

looks cool how much of a download is it if you buy it over the net ?

• Advertisement

dont know got it in GAME for 30 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yeah its a nice little game - you can get it off play.com for cheaper than 30 euro i reckon if you dont mind a weeks wait.

Its fun though - you really need to play it in a fairly small galaxy or your games get uncomftably exspansive - but I guess it floats someones boat:)

The AI is quite challenging - I dont know if i believe the hype about it playing like a human player, sounds like the same bull**** you see in every game tbh and i imagine the AI knows the best planet locations automatically for a reason - but in the early game of my last try I was happily laying claim to 4 or 5 decent star systems thinking I was doing great and how my poor neighbourly oiks ( who only had two worlds i think) were going to get dominated by me in 50 turns or so - once i got my planets I started looking for intergalatic resources and found that my neighbourly oiks had claimed just about every single one within reach - cue tantrum:) I still have a slender milatary and a definite production lead with my number of planets but it will have to be an early war before they strangle me with their resources....

And this is on normal, before I even encountered the other races...its just far trickier than what I expected from playing games like Civ 3 which arent half as challenging. Its also got a neat little morals test - seeing if youre willing to go the easy/evil route over the good/harder route which feeds directly into your technology tree. Id certainly reccomend it to anyone looking for a good 4x game.

do you think the tech tree ever ends?

Advertisement