Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a table: Help required

Options
  • 26-11-2003 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Has anybody bought a decent pool or snooker table recently?

I'm looking to buy a good table after Christmas, but I'm not sure what type to buy or where to buy it. Sizewise, I'm thinking in the range 7 to 9 foot long. I initially fancied a 9-ball table as they look great. But they are a bit on the expensive side and the pockets would probably be too big to play snooker on (whether I get a snooker table or a pool table, I want to be able to play both snooker and pool on it).

Anybody got any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Tupelo

There is a place on Abbey St. Just across from the theatre (I think it's called the periot club) where I get my cue repaired, they have all types of tables on display so you might think about checking that place out. They also have a great selection of cues for anyone interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Check out Riley they've got nice tables and at pretty decent prices as well

I myself am preparing to buy my own full sized bad boy of a Snooker table which is €4000 fully assembled and leveled, clothed for ya.

just have a bit more clearing out of the side garage to do is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

It must be some garage! A full table is 12 * 6 isnt it. You`d want about 5 Ft/6Ft either side of it and all. So the width in total wud need to be 16Ft. Maybe even 18Ft.

And you`d want about 22Ft in length room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

The Rooster. Buy an 8x4ft slate bed snooker table. Then just buy a set of pool balls. Try and get a 2nd hand one and get it re-surfaced and maybe new pockets, should work out cheaper.

thegills

_raptor_ You lucky B**tard. I have been dreaming about buying a full-size for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Tupelo

I have a 3ft by 2ft mini pool table, I had to clear off my kitchen table to be able to fit it in, it was quite the squeeze!!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by thegills
    _raptor_ You lucky B**tard. I have been dreaming about buying a full-size for years.

well TBH it's taken me a few years of nagging (begging) to be allowed get the thing in the side garage and its only very reluctantly that I was allowed to

I'll never EVER leave the room and theres only gonna be 4 ppl including me who will be playing on it and even then they all gotta give 250 each to pay for a re-cloth every year some say its mean I say they are saving money cos think of how much you would pay to a club each year

anyway gloating over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Originally posted by thegills
    The Rooster. Buy an 8x4ft slate bed snooker table. Then just buy a set of pool balls. Try and get a 2nd hand one and get it re-surfaced and maybe new pockets, should work out cheaper.

This is the best option of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'm in the process of buying an apartment with my girlfriend. I reckon you could have a pool table which, with the help of an appropriately sized bit of plywood, would double as the kitchen table.

She's not too impressed by the notion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

As has been suggested, buying a table second hand and getting it re-clothed etc is probably the best option. A snooker club near me closed down there recently, I could have taken a full size table (12') in pretty good nick for £200. Don't have anywhere to keep it though, so couldn't go for it. The re-setting and re-clothing will probably be the most expensive bit.
    I really don't see the point in getting a new one, unless you're intending to make money from it, or just for the hell of it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

How do you all have such big rooms :-(... I'd LOVE to get a snooker table but I don't have a room big enough to put it in as anything smaller than 8 x 4 feet would be a bit of a waste...*sigh*. You'd need a room about 16 X 12 for that size of table.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Michael Collins
    How do you all have such big rooms :-(... I'd LOVE to get a snooker table but I don't have a room big enough to put it in as anything smaller than 8 x 4 feet would be a bit of a waste...*sigh*. You'd need a room about 16 X 12 for that size of table.

in my case it's a back garden where the table is going it was too small but me and my mates invested in bricks and mortar and made it that bit bigger for nice and comfrtable cue action as well as room to sit down. granted ive practically no back garden anymore but it was well worth it

god i am one sad bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

How much does it cost to have a full size snooker table re-clothed?

full sized snooker table is €500 odd

Pool sized I aint got a clue

A snooker table (dunno about pool tables) is supposed to be re-clothed every year if it is a commercial table (to account for the crazy amount of play the table would get in a snooker club) a private home owned table does not have to be re-clothed for up to 3 years depending on condition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭The Rooster

thanks for the advice lads. An 8x4 slate bed snooker table seems to be the best choice.

Raptor, do Rileys have a place in Dublin?

Finally (a stupid question) I presume good tables would come in more than one piece, i.e. the table and legs would only be assembled once in the room?

As far as I know a table is a table is a table and I dont think your gonna find anywhere that will sell ya a full sized one piece snooker table because of the difficulty in transporting and if the table warps you can say "bye bye table"

Rileys do indeed have a place in Dublin but I'm **** with road names so I'll give directions instead.

When your walking up Talbot street you'll see an arcade (red windows outside) it's on that road oppostie the theatre by the quays.

OK OK very vague I know but do you know where Im talking about? Can someone look up the address in a phone book for me (Im in town at the mo bored in a net cafe waiting on her to get her hair done for her 21st)

Oh yeah, if / when ya find it just bluff and say your a member of the Racecourse Inn and they'll give ya a 10% discount and if they ask who sent ya say either Liam or Brendan (ssssshhhhhhh I said nothing)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by _raptor_
    Rileys do indeed have a place in Dublin but I'm **** with road names so I'll give directions instead.

When your walking up Talbot street you'll see an arcade (red windows outside) it's on that road oppostie the theatre by the quays.

OK OK very vague I know but do you know where Im talking about? Can someone look up the address in a phone book for me (Im in town at the mo bored in a net cafe waiting on her to get her hair done for her 21st)

It's on Marlborough street. (Just across the road from The Abbey Theatre) ;)

More info here: http://www.rileyleisure.com/

thats the one three cheers for celticfc hip hip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

The Rooster,
    In a full size 12ft table the slate bed comes in 3 parts usually and they are sort of gelled together. I think an 8x4 could be a single slate.
    You should call into a few halls in town and check out the tables. They usually have a labe on the side with contact details. Most suppliers would also sell re-furbished tables.

If you are getting it re-clothed get the rubber on the cushions replaced too as they die quite often.

_raptor_ How much did the shed cost to build?

Advertisement