Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Parking and Damage

Options
  • 26-11-2003 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

I parked my car in town yesterday...and came back to the car park (a relatively big one in Dublin) to find some nice person had dented the entire side of my car and had driven away. The passenger door and side are badly dented but the paint as such hasn't split so I don't know how back it is. Don't want to claim on my insurance........any one know any good panel beaters in West Dublin/Meath/Central Dublin.

I rang the car park - and this surprised me. They don't have security cameras on the levels of the car park, just on the entrance and exit. Isn't this a bit lax?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Basturds!!!
    I feel your pain, buddy. See me having a bit of a rant about something much less here!

Hopefully someone else can help you with the panel beaters info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I got my car fixed [panels replaced & beaten & re-spray] done by Frank Geddes ... He has a garage just off the south circular road [close to Synge [sp?] Street]

His office number is 01 - 4752626

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by query
    I rang the car park - and this surprised me. They don't have security cameras on the levels of the car park, just on the entrance and exit. Isn't this a bit lax?
    This is why they put the onus on you to have insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    I got my car fixed [panels replaced & beaten & re-spray] done by Frank Geddes ... He has a garage just off the south circular road [close to Synge [sp?] Street]

His office number is 01 - 4752626

how much was that out of interest?
    im gonna have to get the same done....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Exact same thing happened to me last year too, except it was the car park at my old apartment. I hated all my neighbours after that. Still haven't got the stupid thing fixed, I'm afraid of the cost :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭kensutz

almost the same happened to me this day last week, but in work. someone decided to drive so fast into the space next to me that they put a massive dent in the wing of my car. she went in so fast that there was a 6 inch gap between the 2 cars and she couldnt get her car out until i moved mine. I count myself lucky that i did happen that way. I am now claiming on her insurance so does anyone know how long it should take after her insurance company sends someone down to look at the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've seen a few incidents where people have whacked their cars off other vehicles when parking. Sometimes people drive off even though the car they hit is clearly damaged. A couple of times I have written down the reg number of the offending car and have left a note under the wiper of the car they hit. This may seem like a busybody thing to do but I know I'd like someone to do that for me if they saw someone damage my car and drive off.

I've also had a jeep reverse into my car while I was sitting in it (result was a mangled grille and bonnet)

One common theme in all the incidents I've witnessed - WOMEN DRIVERS!

The worst scenario is when you get a woman driver trying to park a large MPV or even worse a large jeep. It's worse again if the jeep has bullbars and/or towbar. A lot of the women that buy these vehicles haven't got the skill to maneouvre them properly. They often have large families and need a large car to carry all the kids, but unfortunately their baby making skills are way better than their parking skills :D And when the inevitable parking knocks happen, they do a LOT of damage, esp. with bullbars which will destroy another car in even a low speed bump.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by BrianD3
    I've seen a few incidents where people have whacked their cars off other vehicles when parking. Sometimes people drive off even though the car they hit is clearly damaged. A couple of times I have written down the reg number of the offending car and have left a note under the wiper of the car they hit. This may seem like a busybody thing to do but I know I'd like someone to do that for me if they saw someone damage my car and drive off.
    Heh, I was parking once and it was tightish. I went in pretty slowly, and saw the big white van in front of me move very slightly while I edged in. I'd touched it at the very least. So I got out, took a quick gander at it, I was so close, that I had taken the dirt off it, but not actually scratched or dented the door in any way. Phew!
    Anyway, while I walked off, I saw some guy staring at me, big dirty stare. He waited till I was about 200 metres away before he shouted after me "I saw what you did!". So I had to go all the way back, bring him over the van and show him I hadn't done any damage. Twas lucky too, cos van drivers are **** for "I'm going to need a whole new respray on that door now, and it'll cost me €500 plus loss of earnings while it's in the garage!".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Anyway, while I walked off, I saw some guy staring at me, big dirty stare. He waited till I was about 200 metres away before he shouted after me "I saw what you did!".

That's a pretty funny image actually. What does a big dirty stare look like? :)

If that had been me that "caught" you there would have been no stares or shouts. I would have just taken a quick look at the van once you'd gone. If there was no damage or very minor damage or if the van was in bits anyway I would have let it be.

However, it'd be a completely different story if I saw some bullbarred jeep smashing into someone's pride and joy, doing a few grands worth of damage and driving off. I'd record registration if I could and would probably report it to the gardai as well. That sort of sh1tty behaviour just isn't on and as I said I would like someone to do the same for me if they saw someone destroying my car and taking off.

Anyway in your case, the way you showed the witness that there was no damage was fair enough. Good job.

BrianD3

Advertisement