Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q3demoTEST Servers?

Options
  • 17-11-1999 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Who has 'em? Could some people give me afew good servers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

hmmmm all the gamespy servers in my gamespy say like ping:999999 and like none of them are there... is this something to do with 'firewalls' and 'being in the office in work' and all that malarky? how do i get around it?

oh and when i try to enter a server from q3 it goes 'Awaiting CD Key... 1' and it keeps couting up from 1... someone get me on the right track...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Damn Firewalls, if I only I knew how to get through them ....

"I am connecting from behind a firewall and was having the CD key check problem. I could ping and resolve the authorize.quake3arean.com address and I still got the CD key message. If you pull down the console you will notice that it resolves the authorize to an address on port: 27952.
    I opened up that UDP port on my firewall and can now connect and play with no problems.
    Hope this helps some people!!

Happy Fragging!!! "

_______________________________ _ _ _ _

just saw this on some message board... how do i open up that UDP port on my firewall? whats he talking about? help...

Also, if you don't have NT unlike me you can try this to get past:

http://www.hostclub.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000175.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Vor,

do you have security access to open the port on your firewall? Unless you're admin you won't... nothing can be done

The "Hosts" file in NT is in "c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" on NT, you can just add in the "192.246.40.56 authorize.quake3arena.com"
    after localhost there in a text editor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

Looks like Voro wont be playing Q3 at work smile.gif

get back to work!

We had one up, but like most other server providers found that the server code was downright disgusting and we downed the server (as have BW)- ID had better pull something out of the bag here, because that server needs a LOT of work, every so often it would send the scsi HD mad....

[This message has been edited by Suds (edited 17-11-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

Funny we've run it in Spinsol and it was fine...
    :p

DeV.

Indeed strange, it also seems to mess about with the active DNS settings on the machine, Carmack has said he has dealth with some of the issue for next release, but even wireplay are considering re-upping 1.08 which did not have these issues.

hey you, gav, stop reading the boards! this is my own little private world here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

trojan!
    What does adding that ip to the hosts text do?
    I have access to ours so im just curious biggrin.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    ps? 0wns U

First time i read them in ages.

oh yeah - the fact that q3 server uses nearly 4 times as much resources as UT server may also a negative impact on thge number of servers up. 18 v 70

and dont worry, I havent read the boards in so long and wont again, was checking feedback on q3demotest.

chaos!

ya big muppet!

The hosts file contains mapping of IP address to hostname so that the TCP/IP stack on your machine doesn't have to try to resolve the hostname to an IP address by contacting a DNS server.

The idea is to avoid looking up the IP by explicitly giving it.

Jazsus that sounds good smile.gif
    What are you up to man? How's the craic?

Take it easy.

Al.

--

PS: Vorosha: a message board may not be the best option for you to maintain your "own private little world. I suggest you rethink your strategy. smile.gif

Id have a loss maker in that game. lack of servers will kill it VERY quickly -

UT all the way home lads smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

both games have major multiplayer problems it seems. i can see major patch release frenzy after both go out smile.gif

as its a long un i stuck it on quake.ie news

I think ID would know better than to release it early with tonnes of patches required - after the farce that was Q2 release. What's Q2 up to now? v3.476.343?

ffs they better not pull that **** again!

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Q3 client-side networking is okay, but the server is a piece of sh1t. 70Mb of physical RAM for a dedicated server? Messing with things it shouldn't? Fvcking with certain SCSI controllers?

I can't see many ISPs running that...

Note he said it was going to *up* in the next release.

And thats on the normal dm maps. What about the 32 - 64 - 128 - player maps? What'll they need, a gig of RAM?!? :|

Looks like we're in for an expensive christmas in terms of h/w...

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

I agree

that kali is gay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I agree

Q3 has major server issues = fewer servers by a LONG SHOT!

UT has some issues, most of the server ones have been solved in a private testing circle of server admins.

q3-DEMO-TEST has server issues, not q3

O.K. cool enough,

So what do you think of Q3DEMOTEST?
    Do you have it up there on your machine?
    Afew lads down here have it.

Advertisement