Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP troubles with Lite-On CD-ROM drive

Options
  • 26-11-2003 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

I recently upgraded my OS to XP from NT on my work machine. However, since I did this, the CD drive is not working. It is a Lite-On LTN483S model, but it is not displayed in the crives in "My Computer". However, when you look at Device manager, it is present, but you get "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I have spent a while looking for updates for this drive, but it is fairly old at this stage and the most recent updates I could find deal with fixing a skipping problem. No mention of XP.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Have you tried removing and reinstalling the original driver (physically remove the drive and let xp find it when you boot up) Worked for me on a similar problem a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm afraid I have. I've uninstalled it, and then let Xp reinstall it. But i get an error message along the lines of Xp doesn't have a suitable driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Does it not prompt you for a driver when you do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No, it doesn't. It seems content to leave it be. And even if it did, I can't find anything on the net about an XP driver for this drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

you shouldnt need to load any device drivers in windows. is it detected in your system bios/dos etc? if not make sure ur cables are in the right place, properly plugged in etc and check sysinfo for any conflicts.

oh ya, also.. search for a firmware upgrade if available, flash the drive and reboot

• Advertisement
Advertisement