Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Question

Options
  • 26-11-2003 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Im buying my first car (privately) and have found a car I really like - 1999 Mitsubishi Colt - the only porblem is that it is due its NCT in 2 weeks and Im a little worried...

The person I might be buying it from has kept it in really good condition, there is only 33k on the clock. She said that she got it serviced a couple of weeks ago to see how much work it might need to pass the NCT and the garage said that it would fly it!

Im a little weary about buying it and getting the NCT done in case something is wrong with it - but I really like the car!!

What are my options here?

How much would the NCT cost and how do I go about applying for it?

Anything else I should think about or any advice you have for me?

Thanks again Boards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

If you are concerned, tell her you want to take it to a 'pre-NCT' centre (something like a kwik-fit, or a local garage that knows the NCT) for an inspection before you buy it. When you bring it to the garage, ask them to perform the test, but not to make any repairs. It will probably cost you a few quid, but only a fraction of what you are planning to spend.

If she doesn't agree or tries to fudge it, then don't buy the car. If she does agree, then you can even decide whether you want to do it at all (if she readily agrees then this might be enough for you to trust her).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

most new cars - do fly it- just get the lights checked and make sure the tyres are not going bald.........but a pre nct would be a good idea...........i recommend auto city just off the kylemore rd, do a good job and relatively cheap, personally i find places like quick fit etc are more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Thanks lads - good idea - do you know anywhere around Kildare that would do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

pre NCT test is total waste of money. Run the car through real nct and you will get exact list of faults if any. None of them companies will guaranty 100% pass.

Price of the car should reflect lack of the nct test anyway. If owner claims that car would pass it anyway, then she should have no problems with putting car through the test.

Do you know how long of a waiting list there is for the NCT?

I mean - if I buy the car and the NCT is up on it - do I have to wait a month or that to get it done? or can I continue driving it until I get the NCT cert?

• Advertisement

Just call 1890 412 413 from 8am to 8pm and check availability. I think that they actually are OK with numbers and you should get one within 2 weeks .

Give them a call anyway.

Garda will not chase you if you just bought the car .

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Don't touch the car unless you put it through the NCT. The NCT can be done up to 3 months in advance for this age of car so it's a little suspect that the current owner can't be bothered to put it through if they are trying to sell. That said, even if it does pass the NCT it's still no guarantee that you're buying a good car. Always be careful buying a second hand car - bring a mechanic with you to give it a look over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Do you know how long of a waiting list there is for the NCT?

i just put in for a test yesterday and got confirmation of a test for the 9th dec. - although im sure theres a variance from centre to centre...
    Gmodified is right - apparantely its silly season at the nct centres again - it cant be predicted what they will fail a vehicle on - best to put it in for a test and then work off the snag list they give you if it fails.

It means forking out another few yoyo for the second test but then i think thats the way they want it:mad:

The car test fee is €48.40 and a re-test costs €27.20

Guy at work send the car through pre test including service costing him 270yoyo's

and car failed NCT

on lights and registration plates.

Magic, it's good that they do check this on pre test

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Buying the car before NCT when it's so close is a bit silly. You could be buying a turkey. Hold your horses ;D Make your offer conditional on it passing the NCT.

Also AA do a check; they've been doing this for years. Info here

-ao-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

As a_ominous said, get the current owner to NCT it, and then buy it when it has passed. Selling it this close to the NCT without actually putting it thru it is a bit cheeky...

The person Im buying it from has already bought a new car and doesnt want to go to the hassle of bringing it in for the test, she is also heading off on holiday on Saturday and is so looking for a quick sale.

She said that she would bring it for the NCT if I wanted her too but it would take her another couple of weeks coz she'll be on holidays - she i also asking for an extra couple of hundred euro if she does get the NCT done herself.

She said that when she got the service done a couple of weeks ago - the garage told her it would fly the NCT test. I might ring the garage myself or else get her to confirm this with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Garage owner may be her brother or something ...dont consider them to be experts either, manys a car has failed the NCT after a heap of cash was spent fixing it up in garages ...

She is trying to pressure you into buying it, laying it on a bit heavy too ... dosent want to do it, holidays, cost more if she tests :rolleyes: .... this would have alarm bells ringing in my head anyway ... I'd advise against buying it just for that reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Who's to say she hasn't done the NCT already and failed?

Reading a second hand car mag from teh UK the advice was to never buy a vehicle that is close to it's MOT / NCT limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

does sound a bit dodgy, if ya know anyone who is a mechanic ya should get them to check the car out, see what they say, have you took the car for a test drive?

I got two cars without any NCT and didn’t have any problems with the test.
    It’s note like she is trying to hide that the car is without NCT and I would be the same and asking for more money when NCT’d. If the car went through NCt and failed that’s even better as you can get print out of little things that are actually wrong with the car which will save you doing any of this pre NCT stuff.

If the price is right get some local mechanic that you know to have look before you buy .

Cheers lads - good advice.

Im going to have a look at the car this Saturday - if I can I will get a mechanic to have a look at it too.

She said that she has all the service receipts and the last one she got done the mechanic wrote down all the things he checked as per the NCT test.

I think I'll take the chance.... I'll let you know how it goes =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by draffodx
    does sound a bit dodgy, if ya know anyone who is a mechanic ya should get them to check the car out, see what they say, have you took the car for a test drive?
    a friend of mine checked out a car for someone before and was treatened to be brought to court because he said that the car was a piece of ****!!! so he wont do it anymore

Advertisement