Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver

• 26-11-2003 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Got Clicksilver from UTV today after only ordering it 4 business days ago and so far I am very impressed Here's why.

- Speed is 481.2kbps according to bandwidthplace.com
    - Pings are under 40ms
    - I setup the modem and software within 10 minutes of receiving the box.
    - 4 business days is pretty impressive IMO
    - The line has never been dropped/disconnected.

So far I am very impressed. Just like to post a positive thread about UTV after hearing all the negative ones.

By the way, my exchange is in carrigaline (021-437....) .

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

- Speed is 481.2kbps according to bandwidthplace.com etc etc

Methinks you should buy a lottery ticket immediately.

This is indeed good news coming as it does just when the UTV support group and all the other news groups (not many!) that they supply vanished for a while and we are beginning to wonder if there are any staff left as there has been only one response from the UTV side to the newsgroup since the weekend.

They even lost a great opportunity to bash Eircom for the weekend disruptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Ive been using Clicksilver since August and ive never had any problems

Im on Ballincollig exchange

Think maybe the problem is mostly with contention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Squall

Think maybe the problem is mostly with contention
    The carrigaline exchange has only been live a couple of weeks, so I would suspect that contention may become a big factor in the future, but at the moment I'm enjoying it while I can :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

I'm in the finglas exchange or whichever one does finglas south and it working great

Just a quick question does anyone know if the 8gb cap includes downloadds and uploads or just downloads?

• Advertisement

Just a quick question does anyone know if the 8gb cap includes downloadds and uploads or just downloads?

'>I know that the Cap is 8Gb download, But does the amount you upload make any
    >difference?

Not according to our current T&C's.

Carl.'

That's a direct copy of a query that was on the UTV support group and the reply that Carl gave.

Originally posted by dub45
    '>I know that the Cap is 8Gb download, But does the amount you upload make any
    >difference?

Not according to our current T&C's.

Carl.'

That's a direct copy of a query that was on the UTV support group and the reply that Carl gave.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Paul-UTVI

Yea, just to confirm: the 8GB cap is currently only for downloads.

Good to see happy customers!

Regards,

Good to see happy customers!

Paul,

You are being a bit optimistic there! Whats happening (or not happening more correctly) with the support group? I mean the actuall group vanished!! Now surely that initself calls for some response? People are getting restless.

And even though it would seem that the serious disruptions to service at the weekend were not UTV's fault the failure to answer legitimate questions about it seems to confirm again that UTV are paying less and less attention to cusomers concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Paul,

You are being a bit optimistic there! Whats happening (or not happening more correctly) with the support group? I mean the actuall group vanished!! Now surely that initself calls for some response? People are getting restless.

Urm, it disappeared for an hour didn't it....? It was explained what happened, they had to renew the licence on it.

And you're right about lack of response, I stopped using utv dial up before I got dsl because the pings and speed were so bad, it's never been addressed and is as bad as ever. I posted about it on another utv thread which paul acknowledged but there's been no response or improvement according to friends of mine who use utv :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by eth0_

And you're right about lack of response, I stopped using utv dial up before I got dsl because the pings and speed were so bad, it's never been addressed and is as bad as ever. I posted about it on another utv thread which paul acknowledged but there's been no response or improvement according to friends of mine who use utv :-/

If I was a friend of yours , I would report the same thing to you .:D

any of these friends on clicksilver ?

John

'It was explained what happened, they had to renew the licence on it.'

No one from UTV has explained it as far as I know. I think one of the contributors to the group may have made that assumption based on the messages that the news server was giving out when you attempted to join the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Paul-UTVI

Hi,

Yeap, the license had to be renewed. The groups were not deleted, but outlook express will automatically remove the group you tried to view when it encounters an error.

Apologies for not making this announcement on the boards, but we've been extremely busy with other issues recently.

Regards,

'It was explained what happened, they had to renew the licence on it.'

No one from UTV has explained it as far as I know. I think one of the contributors to the group may have made that assumption based on the messages that the news server was giving out when you attempted to join the group.

Well if it was THAT self-evident, I don't see why it was so important for UTV to reiterate it! You're SF, aren't you :-))))))))

jonski - no, XL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Say thank you to the nice man now dub45.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

Well now, here's a suprise

410.1 kilobits - better than I expected - considering it's been a bit slow over the last couple of evenings. Wonder what the Cabra exchange is having to deal with as regards connections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

after what seems like years of waiting (that estimate wouldnt be too far off either) it's hard to believe that theres finally dsl in carrigaline. It's all a bit emotional. My silent campaign finally pays off. What to say at times like this? *wipes a tear of happiness from his eye*

Originally posted by rymus
    after what seems like years of waiting (that estimate wouldnt be too far off either) it's hard to believe that theres finally dsl in carrigaline. It's all a bit emotional. My silent campaign finally pays off. What to say at times like this? *wipes a tear of happiness from his eye*

Yeah I know what you mean, I watched as towns with populations of only a couple of thousand got enabled while Carrigaline with a population of 15,000 lagged behind. I might be wrong but aren't you the person who was sending around those leaflets about setting up wireless broadband in Carrigaline (we exchanged emails a couples of months ago, I think). I have been ringing up eircom every other day and sending letters and emails, finally we have broadband (13 months after it was supposed to be here).

edit: btw currently downloading a file off bit torrent at 50kb/s while surfing the net. Sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    I might be wrong but aren't you the person who was sending around those leaflets about setting up wireless broadband in Carrigaline (we exchanged emails a couples of months ago, I think).

Yeah that'd be me alright. Went by the wayside really after a bit of market research indicated that out of about 400 people, there were 2 interested. Not exactly what you'd call profitable or even break-even(able). It was a nice idea at the time, just a pity the level of techno-capable people in Carrigaline is depressingly low.

On the other hand though, that statistic means that your dsl connection will more than likely never be contended as I would imagine by the end of the year there wont be more than 20 people with dsl installed in Carrigaline.

Same story in Douglas. Bigger population I know but my clicksilver dsl hasnt dropped below 50/55k downloading since I got it.

It is bloody nice to see Carrigaline finally catching up with all those little towns that eircom saw fit to upgrade months ago, even though as you say, the population is far lower than Carrigaline. After barking at eircom marketing people for months, grappling with biddies and anyone that would listen, it's nice to see it has finally been done. Enjoy your dsl, you know you've earned it :D

Yeah that'd be me alright. Went by the wayside really after a bit of market research indicated that out of about 400 people, there were 2 interested. Not exactly what you'd call profitable or even break-even(able). It was a nice idea at the time, just a pity the level of techno-capable people in Carrigaline is depressingly low.
    Only 2! It's a pity that Carrigaline is such a backward town, perhaps if a couple of the businesses we're to sponser it, then it might have got somewhere.
    On the other hand though, that statistic means that your dsl connection will more than likely never be contended as I would imagine by the end of the year there wont be more than 20 people with dsl installed in Carrigaline.
    Hope so! although I already know 3 people at school who have it here and at least 5 more who are planning to get it.
    It is bloody nice to see Carrigaline finally catching up with all those little towns that eircom saw fit to upgrade months ago, even though as you say, the population is far lower than Carrigaline. After barking at eircom marketing people for months, grappling with biddies and anyone that would listen, it's nice to see it has finally been done. Enjoy your dsl, you know you've earned it :D
    Thanks. In a way the wait has made it all the sweeter.

• Advertisement

Methinks you should buy a lottery ticket immediately.

This is indeed good news coming as it does just when the UTV support group and all the other news groups (not many!) that they supply vanished for a while

Jesus. They disappeared for an hour or two. Stop crying about it. If you had a life you wouldn't have bloody noticed.

If you had a life you wouldn't have bloody noticed.

Have you looked at the UTV support group in the past day or two? Oh and is freespeech dead in here? can one only praise UTV? Have I to conform to some definiton of 'a life' that you might consdier acceptable? And again I have to point out that stating that the groups disappeared for a while is a matter of fact hardly crying.
    If anything it is indicative of the strange state of affairs at UTV at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Calm down Joanne and SF!! :D:D

ethO_ = Joanne ? :eek:

that would explain why they are always having a hop off each other:D

John.

ethO_ = Joanne ?
    that would explain why they are always having a hop off each other

this is the first time we have crossed swords on here:)

Mike Nesmith wrote a great song bout a girl called Joanne!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i am after doing a speed test on your www.bandwidthplace.com

got 35.8 kilobits per second!!! :mad:

i ordered clicksilver 2 months ago and wish utv would hurry up:mad :mad:

this is the first time we have crossed swords on here:)

Mike Nesmith wrote a great song bout a girl called Joanne!

So it is then , ah this is great , Trust me guys this is better than watchin telly ........and goes on later into the night:cool:

Advertisement