Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband sharing files ?

Options
  • 26-11-2003 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭

Hey all

my brother just got eircom broadband. I'm in college and I'd like to be able to get at files that he has on his computer. What would be the best way of doin this and the cheapest ??

Any suggestions would be great!

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This belongs in Broadband imho.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Set up an FTP server is one possibility....

It's just a piece of software that you put on the computer with the files you want to share. Set up your username and password on it, and then you'll be able to get at it using FTP client software on the other computer. You should be able to find everything you need on download.com or webattack.com.

You'll also need to get a dynamic DNS address for the sharing computer... no-ip.com provide this for free. Everything you need to know about it should be on the website.

hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Heres a few links too....

Ftp Server: Guild FTP

Site for getting you a "static" ip...: DYNDNS

Any probs, i have used (or know people who have used) both of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Since your on Eircom broadband your using dynamic IPs. You could take the time to configure dynamic IP DNS addresses for the boxes, but thats a pain and can fail from time to time.

What I would do - download MSN Messenger (http://messenger.msn.com). It's free, and all you need is a Hotmail or Yahoo email account to use it (also available for free).

It's a nice IM (instant messaging) client that has all sorts of great features.

The new version has 'folder sharing' built-in. You can share a folder on your hard drive, and anyone you choose from your friends list can access it. You can even share it with multiple people, so everyone can put files in it or get files from it, depending on who you give access to. It's quick, simple, free, and very reliable.

Advertisement