Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC upgrade

• 26-11-2003 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

Evening,
    I know this has been done to death - but i'm going to ask anyway........

I've currently got:
    Athlon 700mhz
    SD-RAM 448mb
    Philips DVD-ROM
    SONY 50x cd-rw
    19" monitor
    Geforce 4 with 128mb
    150gb of harddrive
    This is an already upgraded Gateway pc (select 700) from 2000.

I'm going to upgrade as much of this some more
    I'm going to get a new CPU, which needs a new motherboard.
    This new mb will need new ram too.
    I plan on keeping the dvd/cdrw/gfx card/harddrives.

118692 Asus A7N8X-X mainboard for Socket A- nForce2 400/MCP,ATX,ATA133,USB2.0,LAN
    €83.91

116244 AMD Athlon XP2500+ 1.833 GHz 333 MHz bus- Socket A (Barton) processor, 512 kb. OEM
    €90

113548 TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5 RAM 184-P (for DDR-PC333MHz)
    2 x €85.49

117894 Cooler Master AERO 7+ AMD- ASB-V73 til AMD XP3000+ CPU and Higher
    €37.53

117899 Q-Tec Power Supply ATX 550W Gold PFC- Power supply PIII/AMD/P4, Dual Fan (UK)
    €59.87

Total price: €442.29 + del from komplett.ie
    (just used as an example)

I'm just guessing that i'll need a new psu - ditto with the fan.
    This system isn't going to be overclocked, and will be used for Office/Net and games.

Is there anything i've left out?
    Will i need a new case?

Any thoughts/suggestions/changes?

Thanks,
    MiCr0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

your new system looks good

but most people here know me as the Q-Tec hater.
    i got one once to power a avgerage p4 system and it failed while installing XP Pro

now i know Q-tec are cheap and fair play to them but you don't want to skimp on price on one of the most important part of a pc.

pick a PSU from Here
    or from Here

they are expensive but it might be the difference between your psu frying your cpu, motherboard.

you will more than likely need a new case

can i suggest these here Antec Cases

don't buy case from komplett cos they reef you for delivery

where as with elara it's €9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

do you plan on overclocking it? thats important for the components you wanna pick

Whether you need a new case will depend the size and insides of your old case, if its micro-atx for example say three pci slots you'll need a new case.

The bartons a good chip for the price. If you don't plan on overclocking just buy the retail version and use the fan that comes with it, it will save you a bit and you will haev a 3 year warranty.

take a look at abit offering for nforce 2 boards also they are very good. There is also a deluxe version of the asus board you are looking at which is 30-40 euro dearer which may be more suitable for you.

as Cr3mo says don't skimp on the psu i've heard bad things about Q-tec also and personally went for an antec one also. Don't look for high wattage over quality. a good 400W antec would be better then a poor 550W for some other manufacturer

If you don't plan on overclocking pc2700 ram is suitable and twinmos ram is respectable if but not up there with the other manufactureres such as corsair, ocz and mushkin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    don't buy case from komplett cos they reef you for delivery

where as with elara it's €9
    yes, komplett well and truely shaft you for that extra 99 cents, don't they:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Are you absolutely certain you want to stay with Socket A

I was planning on upgrading, and i am looking at the Asus P4C800E Deluxe, with 2.4ghz P4 800mhz FSB, and some winbond RAM. Its a bit pricey, but its worth it.

119311 Asus P4C800-E DELUXE mainboard S478/800
    €214.64
    118498 TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB Dual Pack
    €194.21
    117320 Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GHz Boxed PC800
    €201.8

Total: 610.65

Thats a beast of a system, and the P4 overclocks really well, but it might be a bit pricey for an upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

this is just going to be a standard install.
    i'm no power user and i'd perfer guarnteed uptime rather than an extra 150mhz (which i'll never notice anyhow)

i'm not set on any specific chip set...
    ^^ that was just an idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Why is the ram you get with a dell pc so expensive? Its about €290 for 512mb. Is it cause its a lot better or are they charging you because they know you nothing about pc and are too lazy to go hunting for individual components?

its the latter.

Micro with regards to a power user or if you overclock a 2500+ you likely get an extra 400mhz on top of the 1.833Ghz you have which is a very nice improvement and gives you a chip worth a couple of hundred more the xp3200+

As Drazhar says the pentium 4 is a nice option at the moment and you could probably save some money on the motherboard. Abit do there range of IC7 mb's based on the canterwood chipset

The IC7 clocks in about €140 also if you get the retail pentium 4 it comes with a fan which you won't need. If you need to save some money at the moment why not just get 1 stick of 512mb ram for the moment and you can upgrade with another 512mb (and go to dual channel) when you have the cash to spare that would save you another hundred or so

i'm not to pushed about saving money on this.

i don't really need 1gb of ram - who does??? - but it would be nice.

basically i just need to move on and up from this ath700 and i'd like to do as much of it as possible in one jump

it will prob be another 2 years before i buy any new bits for this pc

well perhaps you could let us know how much you have to spend on it and we can see what we can do then?

• Advertisement

around 400 euro :D

Originally posted by tman
    yes, komplett well and truely shaft you for that extra 99 cents, don't they:rolleyes:

cool i didn't know komplett have new shipping choices.

i retract my last statement

€400 no overclocking can do but think it puts pentium 4's out of your price range if you need a new psu

-Socket A

cpu: xp2500+ oem €90 or xp2600+ oem €104

m/b: brand new: abit AN7 €117 (out early december haven't read any reviews yet, bastards i just bought an nforce 2 board :) )

or Abit NF7-S v2.0 €110

ram: many options here something like this will be good
    corsair xms2700LL 512mb (1 stick) €119

or if you need to save a bit of money twinmos CL 2.5 pc2700 512mb €85

psu: antec true power 430W €100 (from www.overclockers.co.uk)

hsf: coolermaster Aero 7 lite €21

With the cheaper ram and dearer processor and abit nf7 thats about €425 + delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you can wait a week, get this
    heatsink+fan. Its really cheap, quiet ( due to the 80mm fan ), and does a fine job of cooling an xp2500+, even when overclocked to 2.3ghz. Just finished a machine with this heatsink, highly recommended.

off topic

what type of load temps are you getting with that overclock Gerry? and what type of vcore did you have to put through it? and is your barton one of the new ones with the locked multi?

Advertisement