Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook Express prob

Options
  • 26-11-2003 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

So my prob is that i can't send email using outlook express but i can recieve it fine. I was onto eircom technical support and he just pointed me to this Windows help page. Mine is the last symptom. The info on the page doesn't really help much as i have my firewall set to allow it to send and norton anti-virus to. Anybody any idea how to fix this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

What r ur incoming and outgoing server settings? Outgoing should be mail1.eircom.net assuming you r dialing up on eircom (ie 1892150150)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Make sure you dont' have any of the security (SSL) options ticked, and that your outgoing port is 25 (account properties - advanced)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

If you're sure all settings are ok then something else must be causing it (possibly some security app) I had a similar prob to this before caused by norton (which i believe there is a patch for)

Try disabling email scanning on smtp outgoing and see if it makes a difference, otherwise disable the entire antivirus and reconnect to the internet. This is just for troubleshooting purposes. If all works then you will know it's the antivir and can either reinstall or reconfigure it. Also try this with the firewall program to rule it out as the cause.

If possible try using the ip addresses for the mail servers.

If it IS mail1.eircom.net or mail2.eircom.net then try entering 159.134.198.135 as the server instead. This seemed to work for me ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Well i got BB so i'm on all the time. The email account is my parents and its an esat on so i have the mail coming in from the esat server and have the outgoing one set to mail1.eircom.net. I had a problem sending before and i changed it to mail1.eircom.net and it worked fine for awhile(like a 1 week and a half or so, maybe more) but then just stopped working. As i said the guy at €rrorcon tech support just told me "well yeah outlook just does that sometimes for no reason". Wtf like, i didn't spend about €5 just to hear that fs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Can you telnet to mail1.eircom.net on port 25?

• Advertisement

i don't really know how to use telnet

Start - Run

Type in telnet mail1.eircom.net 25

Press the Enter key.

You'll get a box up with some text in it... what's the text?

when i type that i it just says invalid command.

telnet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by suppafly

telnet.jpg

when you click on START | RUN ... a RUN window will open, type CMD in there ....

press ENTER and a black window will open ... a command prompt, that's where you can type in what was posted above

stick up another image of what it says when you do that :)

Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by suppafly
    Type that in from the run box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

does it matter?? :s

If you're on that screen in your screenshot, use open mail1.eircom.net 25 instead :)

nothing really happens when i do that. I type open mail1.eircom.net 25 and then it connects and says telnet mail1.eircom.net across the top of the window and says press any key to continue.... so u press a key, nothing happens, press a key again and then it says connection to host lost? so is it a problem with outlook express and now eircom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

depends on your account, try mail2.eircom.net

mail1 is for paying punters

mail2 is for freebe punters

Advertisement