Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Cayman MODEM - Help.

• 26-11-2003 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

just curious about this Netopia Cayman modem that EIRCOM are giving out with the BB package.
    It has USB and Ethernet connection ports.

Thus, how do you go about connecting two P.C's to the same modem (one on USB and one on Ethernet) or say, a P.C and XBox, on the same BB line, without having to buy any new equipment. I know it can be done. Just don't know HOW.

Any solutions?

Thanks.
    Visi.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by visigoth
    just curious about this Netopia Cayman modem that EIRCOM are giving out with the BB package.
    It has USB and Ethernet connection ports.

Thus, how do you go about connecting two P.C's to the same modem (one on USB and one on Ethernet) or say, a P.C and XBox, on the same BB line, without having to buy any new equipment. I know it can be done. Just don't know HOW.
    According to some other posters here, the box arrived confugred as a router, providing DHCP and NAT on the internal interfaces. This means that anything that you plug into the ethernet or USB port and set to "get address automatically" gets a 192.168.0.* address, and points at the address of the Netopia box as it's gateway.

Obviously you have to load a USB driver for the machine using the USB port, so that it looks like a network device, but apparently it's pretty much plug and play once it's set up, and it actually works this way "out of the box".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I have my xbox hocked up to it and the Pc and I can use both at the same time which is grand saves a lot of arguements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭visigoth

so it's just a matter of changing the settings on the DSL modem, to allow for two devices to share the same connection?
    Brill.

Thanx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by visigoth
    so it's just a matter of changing the settings on the DSL modem, to allow for two devices to share the same connection?
    No, you don't even have to change the settings on the modem. From what various people have posted here, it appears that eircom ship the Netopia configured in such a way that you can use both interfaces at once "out of the box". (And, presumably if you plug a hub or switch into the ethernet port, you can connect more than two devices).

Advertisement