Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

partitioning perils!?

• 26-11-2003 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

for a while ive been having a spot of bother installing linux.

basically it was down to the fact that i couldnt partition my drive. i now have partition magic but am now a bit reluctant to use it.

i have a 60gig with a lot of stuff on it. i wanna partition a 5-10gig chunk but dont wanna loose any data. i know that most peoples response will be to just backup but i have some progs that i cant get again and i dont want to loose them (in the event of something going wrong)

my question is this. how safe is it to partition a drive that already has a lot of data on it??

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I hope that it's pefectly safe as I need to re-install XP Pro because it got corrupted. The corruption is in my CD-RW so I can't even backup data! :( I assume Partition Magic can do it's job and shift stuff around as needed. I've about 20gb free of 120GB drive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

let me know how you get on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

It's simple to partition off 5-10 gigs.
    I've done it a few times to install Linux.
    Make sure you set the partition to be linux est3 iirc.
    Also if you're getting rid of Linux for some reason be carefull getting rid of the boot loaders. (screwed up my system.)

P.s. 99% of programs can be obtained again.

Advertisement