Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Application blocks" - what and how

Options
  • 26-11-2003 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

When does something become an "application block" - is there a special requirement or test? In fact any documentation on this that I should read before I go off pretending I know what I'm talking about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

What do you mean by an Application Block in the first place?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

There's a few examples at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/architecture/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/logging-ch03.asp

Basically it is a framework (or perhaps a set of interfaces?) that you build use a particular functionality into your application...one of their better examples is the application logging thingy that allows you to add logging to your apps.

What I want to do is make a "genetic algorithm" type application block as follows:

A sample evolutionary computing framework

To understand how evolutionary principles may be applied to a computing problem a framework is needed to define a set of roles:

1. The environment

The enviornment defines the problem that the evolutionary computing application is trying to solve. It is responsible for calculating the fitness of an individual and assigning the problem space meaning to the members of the gene set and for setting the constrainst such as the baseline rate of gene mutation. Additional real-world constraints such as the control of the population size to optimise the use of the computer hardware are also supplied by the environment.

2. The population

The population represents a set of potential solutions to the problem. It can be created from a randomly generated, or seeded by a predefined set, of individuals

3. The individual (aka The genome)

The genome defines the number of genes a member of a population has and their explicit locations2. These locations have an explicit meaning in relation to the problem being tested by the environment and are not interchangeable

When two individuals reproduce the new gene set is populated by genese selected from one of the parent individuals at random. There is also the chance (controlled by the environment) that the genes themselves may be subject to mutation at this stage.

4. The gene

The gene holds the current value for an individual variable that is used to compute the gene set's fitness to solve the environment's problem

FYI: The application block will be hosted (and hopefully grow into something useful) here on this GotDotNet workspace

Advertisement