Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Hip Hop?

• 26-11-2003 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Don't look at me like that.
    I'm being serious.

I only really got into it over the past two months (after watching La Haine and desperatley searching for Nique La Police by Cutkiller & NTM)
    Despite not having a clue what any of them say, there's no way I can argue that by far the French emcees have the best flow in the world.
    I'm not sure if its the language itself, but the way some of those guys flow over a beat is just incredible.

So...anyone else a fan of French hip hop?

If you haven't heard anything, I'd recommend most of Supreme NTM's stuff. Song specifics, Le Police, Paris Sous Les Bombes, Pass Pass Le Oinj and Back Dens Les Back. Also, if you can find anything by Rockin' Squat hes a pretty amazing rapper too.
    And of course, MC Solaar.
    DJ wise, Cutkiller needs to be in your collection. If you don't have Nique Le Police, shame on you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Havent heard all that much of it.
    Fonky Family are pretty good and MC Solaar as you said.
    I think one of the reasons their flow is better is because they can rap faster. It seems to roll off their tongues more naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

The french Film " Le Haine" is full of french hip hop. its pretty good. i was looking for the soundtrack to it but it doesnt seem to be available in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

or on amazon
    iv been trying to get that soundtrack for ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I dunno, i can't really see myself being that into it if i don't understand it. On the other hand im doing honours french lc and i guess anything that gets me listening to the language... but then again i don't suppose a french person would benefit much from listening to a bit of Twista

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I have a few grench hip-hop albums, its all about the beats / basslines and flow, The Taxi movies sountracks all have some excellent instrumental stuff. Great for cruising about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

french hip hop rocks, solaar is a poet, he's almost beyond being an mc, though prose combaat was his lyrical best imo, alliance etnik are good too, ntm are cheesy but paris sous les bombes is a deadly one. if you can find an album signed to virgin france by akhenathon then get the one with bad boys de marseilles on it.; deadly tune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bettyboo

there are a couple of great hip hop collections known as Le Flow Vol 1 & 2 - which collects all the best artists - MC Solaar, I Am etc on one disc...

Its got some great stuff on it and makes for a good intro ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I don't trust compilations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Yeah I got both of the Le Flow's.
    The first ones alright, I prefer the second one really.
    It did get me into Assassin, just can't seem to find an album anywhere in Dublin yet.

How come you don't trust compilations?
    Some of my favourite albums are compilations, Lyricist Lounge (Number 2 was crap mind you), Soundbombing, Def Jux Presents..list goes on and on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Ah Lyricist Lounge 2 isn't that bad.
    Better than a lot of the crap floating around.

Advertisement