Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL connection sharing WOES - IOLBB

Options
  • 26-11-2003 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭

Woe is me! Ok I just got a D-Link DSL-504 for my home network to share the internet connection, IOLBB ADSL connection. The network works just fine but the connecting to ESAT thing is just not happening:( . I really can't figure out how it could connect to any network given the very few options given. They are

VPI = 0
    VCI = 38
    Encapsulation = PPPoE LLC
    User Name = XXXXXXXXXXXXX@iolbb
    Pass = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Authentication = chap
    IP Control = get IP from ISP

There are one or two other small things like idle time etc...but that surely is not enough for it to connect to a network I'm not giving it anything!. The VPI and VCI stuff I really dont understand and are just the default settings. the router is connected to the phone socket, so it's not the physical connection. Does IOLBB use bridging?? what is that?:p, has anyone got this working??.

I'm certain that there was a post here not to long ago about this router not long ago..or about IOLBB sharing. Whenever I do a diagnositic it always says there is a PPP problem. It says it can't find the PPPoE server, well Dah! how can it I dont think it's being given enough info to find a server!. Can anyone suggest anything?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Don't use this router or IOL, but your VPI/VCI values are wrong. They are the same for all RADSL users, regardless of reseller, and are as follows:

VPI = 8
    VCI = 35

See how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yep I'd gotten those values from someone on the broadband forum already and I've tried them and they work just fine!:D. I'm curious why not use the router??, what's wrong with it?. I suppose you think I shouldn't use IOL cause of there cap?, it's not a huge hassle for me and my download speeds can reach 54Kb so I'm happy with them, what's wrong with them?.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Sorry, Offler, I was being lazy. I meant to say

I don't use this router or IOL.

I have absolutely no problems with either, because I have no experience of either. I'm glad you're up and running. I'm on UTV myself, with my own "homegrown" Linux job handling the connection, and all I can say is - BB is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

One of the main reasons for me getting BB was linux internet connectivity for the last 4 years I've been trying to get the net working on one or another Linux distro:rolleyes:, but now I can finally trow away the shackels of a winmodem and use Linux for the net as well as programming:p!.

Advertisement