Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aristotle And His Political Ideas

Options
  • 27-11-2003 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Am seeking advice.

Have a presentation and Paper to hand in about aristotle and his political thinking
    Could anyone tell me where to start
    as i have'nt a notion where to begin.

I will scour the net no doubt about that
    but what should i look out for

Many thanks
    Ichiro

"Captain of Tom Doylery"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'd start with google, and a search on "aristotle political thinking" personally.

Unfortunately, I have no non-smart-ass or even vaguely useful comments to help you with...

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Well, uh, how about getting to your college's library.

Get Aristotle's 'Politics' (the revised Penguin editions have good introductions), search the library's catalogue for books on Aristotle and consult philosophical and political journals for contemporary perspectives, particularly good critiques of his ideas, the historical context, books about how those ideas have filtered through the centuries. Y'know, getting research material takes work too, you know.

But like, hey, it's Aristotle. It's not like it's gonna be hard finding out stuff about him.

Generally titles with the words 'introduction' in the title is an indication of an accessible text. This one is probably very good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0192854089/qid=1069937365/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_3_9/026-0564797-0653208 and probably anything published by Routledge.

For web references, this is a good place to start: http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/a/aristotl.htm , I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Thanks For the help People,
    Will do DadaKopf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Certainly reading Aristotle's Atheneia Politeia or Ath. Pol. as it is commonly called gives various insights into his opinion on democracy in the Ancient World. Reading some things by Plato would also be insightful since one derived from the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

here's an online copy of Aristotles Politics, everything you need is in there, it's just a matter of deciphering it with some introductory texts.

http://www.constitution.org/ari/polit_00.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Bloody hell thats a lot of writing
    gotta squeeze that all into 1500 words
    lucky me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

The subject of this thread reminded me of Eamonn Kelly, story teller (R.I.P.) who talked about the old fellows living in little places in Kerry who, knowing about the ancient Greeks and discussing the philosophers in their homely way, referred to "Harry Stottle".

Advertisement