Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRMA trying to close down cd wow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Here's the mail I just sent IRMA :

I read with great disappointment today about the action to be taken by IRMA against cdwow.ie

No doubt I'll receive a carefully worded statement explaining how this is all in the interest of preserving the Irish music industry.

I respectfully suggest that IRMA would serve the industry better by dealing with the cartel and closed-shop that prevents independent Irish artists from selling their CDs in retail outlets. Your organization would also better serve the industry by dealing with the disgraceful treatment of independent Irish artists by our indigenous distribution companies.

Somehow I don't think that's going to happen though - today's news only confirms what I have always suspected about IRMA.

The only people that will benefit from this will be UK-owned multiples - that's your friends in HMV and Virgin.

I'm a commercial recording studio owner and I run an independent record label.
    I'm an artist too - I don't see where IRMA is supporting me in this action.

I await with interest your next step in supporting the Irish music industry - mandatory miming and dancing lessons ?

Sincerely Yours,

take a look at their membership list (they have 39 members).
    If you want to you could email these members and indicate how you won't be supporting their business.
    I note that they state on their site (although contradicted elsewhere !) :
    Membership Criteria:Only Irish record companies can become members of IRMA.

and at least one (Record Services) of the members listed is not a record label - they're a distributor.
    Nice cosy cartel they've got going there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Doctor J
    IRMA can stick it up their ass. I saw a Ween cd, manufactured in the USA, on sale in HMV for €44.99 last night.

Yeah, I saw that same CD and I just walked out of the store.

This is really ridiculous: it just screams greediness, and I bet HMV persuaded the IRMA to do this. Does this mean the end for anything I order from non-EU countries? For Gods sake.

On a side note, seeing as this has come to the attention of the IRMA, I'm really glad that CDwow (and Play) have become this successful and that Irish people feel the same way about the high street prices. I had lost all faith in buying music until these two websites came to my attention; I would have mostly stuck to online downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Something that struck me (bong!!! :D) about this is that cd-wow sell a variety of items, and IRMA dont represent those copyright holders .... so would cd-wow have a case against IRMA if they were closed down?? (unfairly stopping their legitimate sales of games and DVD's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

There are similar copyright issues against DVD's unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Im sending this email to all my mates. what do ya think?

Subject : Music Industry trying to shut Down CD-WOW (no more cheap cd's)

Hi,

Just thought Id mail you and see if you knew about what the Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA) is trying to do to one of the best websites for buying cheap cd's, dvd's and games - WWW.CDWOW.IE . IRMA are suing cd-wow in Ireland in a bid to stop them shipping cheap cd's in from abroad, thus forcing us consumers to pay the extortionate prices of their friends in the music retail business. This is just the tip of the iceberg - it could happen all over Europe.

Well I don’t know about you but I think this stinks, if they are allowed to get away with this we will either be forced to pay rip-off prices or use software like kazaa to download music illegally. I am sending the below mail to the IRMA (info@irma.ie) or pasting it at http://www.irma.ie/contact.asp and also to my local TD and to my MEP - Can I suggest you do the same?

TO IRMA
    info@irma.ie
    or
    paste it at :
    http://www.irma.ie/contact.asp

Dear Sir/Madam

RE : IRMA actions against cd-wow.

I would just like to share my anger and outrage over the actions the Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA) are taking against the website www.CDWOW.ie If the IRMA are allowed to get away with this it will usher the yet another example of the consumer being ripped off.

The IRMA have seem to have forgotten that it is because of us consumers that your members make all their profits - if IRMA's members stop attempting to rip us off we wouldn't feel the need to use a website that is massively cheaper than the retail stores (and their websites).

I suggest you put your resources to better use and actually try to get your members to lower their extortionate prices - after all that would be better in the long run for Consumers, Artists and the Record Industry.

Please halt this abuse of your industry position.

If you succeed in your action against CD-WOW I shall do my best to make sure I never buy music in Ireland again.

Yours Sincerely

Secret squirrel.

To your local TD/MEP/MP

Dear Sir/Madam

RE : IRMA actions against cd-wow.

I would just like to share with you my anger and outrage over the actions the Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA) are taking against the website www.CDWOW.ie If the IRMA are allowed to get away with this it will usher the yet another example of the voting public being ripped off.

IRMA are suing the website www.CDWOW.ie to prevent them from selling cheap cd's to the Irish market. This is just another case of the Irish consumer being ripped off.

I would ask that you contact them and ask halt this abuse of their industry position, before it results in the Irish music buying public boycotting the music industry completely in this country. It is a case of the music industry trying to maintain an outdated monopoly at the expense of the Irish consumer. Please join your voters and help us express our anger at IRMA.

Yours sincerely

secret squirrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

*long sigh*

This country is run by the bloody mafia as far as I'm concerned, **** em in the goat ass.

Only thing I see happening on a daily basis anymore is the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, mainly because FAT CAT CORPORATES keep ****ing us for every penny we're worth and as soon as we find an alternative to save a few penny's from FAT CATS, they catch on, slap us on the wrist and do everything within their power to revert or convert us back to the old ways.

Guess what? It's not gonna happen and I'm nearly considering getting a billboard and going out to stand in front of HMV/Virgin shouting "VISIT WWW.PLAY.COM or CDWOW.IE and compare the prices for yourselves, don't support english companies ripping us off to fill their own greedy pockets and a few greedy Irish ones that are comparable to thiefs.

We are all being ripped off left, right and centre and it's just gone beyond sickening at this stage, in fairness, wtf can we do against these pricks?

IRMA - you got mail and NO, it is not about love.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

My god. How many CDWOW threads must we have?!?? Why aren't the mods merging and closing the excess ones?
    Think of the signal to noise ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Why, in the interview on Morning Ireland, was IRMA's Head of Anti-Piracy Operations, Sean Murtagh representing IRMA's views?

Surely this isn't a piracy issue since CDwow sell genuine legitimate cds?

viking

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

And my little contibution...

Hello,

I think it's terrible that you are bringing a lawsuit against cdwow for selling cd's originating in Hong Kong, even though the recording artists have received their fair share of the profits, as these are legitamate cd's.

If the cost of cd's and dvd's wasn't so grossly inflated in this country then you might start making some decent album sales in bricks and mortar stores. I've just bought two DVD's from a similar company (play.com), The Lord of The Rings extended versions (Fellowship of the ring and Two towers) Cost me 60 euro incl shipping, as opposed to near 50 euro for one of them here. I'm sure the artists / copyright holders aren't the ones getting the extra money, so i've no sympathy for you saying that cdwow are egaging in profiteering. If you do succed in shutting down cdwow i'll go to their replacement, and then their replacement.

Mark

Darn spankers of monkeys....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I just can't understand why the IRMA in particular are against this.
    They represent Irish artists right?

The artist get's the same amount of money from the retailer (HMV, play, CD-Wow) regardless of how much the end-user pays.
    So why are they up in arms about it?

If I go into HMV and but one U2 album for 25 euro, U2 get 3 euro for that.
    If I go onto CD-wow I can buy two U2 albums for the same cost.
    But, U2 get twice the money.

So why are they so pissed off?

Of course, it the HMV's of the country that are pissed off really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

From ENN on the 15th Sept 2003:
    The paper also says that the Irish Recorded Music Association (Irma) has blamed a decline in recorded music sales on piracy. The association, which represents the Irish music industry, says sales in the first half of 2003 are down from the same period last year, although official figures will not be published for another three weeks. "It's almost entirely attributable to piracy, between people downloading off the Internet and people burning CDs," said Sean Murtagh, Irma's head of anti-piracy.

So in two months Sean Murtagh has decided that it is no longer piracy that is mostly causing a decline in record sales but in fact CDWOW's "importing" of genuine legitimate CD's which is causing the decline in sales.

I have a feeling that IRMA and the members it represents got a bit peeved at the European Consumer Centre's survey which showed big savings to be had when shopping online. The survey was published in all the major newspapers and highlighted the fact ten random CD's could be purchased on CDWOW for €128.50 whereas these CD's would cost €213.90 at Virgin and €187.90 at HMV.

Good man Sean! By the way, you came across rather arrogant and patronising on the radio, that won't do your cause any good. I for one wont let this issue lie.

Finally, anyone sending emails to IRMA should also CC them to the editors at Irish-Times and Independent - no harm in letting them know the volume of emails being sent to IRMA about this

viking

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What are the legal issues with handing out fliers showing cdwow prices over HMV right outside HMV's door? Do they own that piece of pavement? If it's done quietly then it's hardly a crime. I would live to post a banner right there - be better than picketing IRMA HQs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Richieh

Just listened to the interview. How arrogant is that p*i*k Sean Murtagh! Let's hope they leave court today with their tails between their legs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

where can i listen to that interview? presuming its on the interweb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Originally posted by ixoy
    What are the legal issues with handing out fliers showing cdwow prices over HMV right outside HMV's door? Do they own that piece of pavement? If it's done quietly then it's hardly a crime. I would live to post a banner right there - be better than picketing IRMA HQs...

Now there's an idea :D

Of course a small sticker on each cd saying "You could get this at www.cdwow.ie for €xxx" might also work :D

not that I'd propose anyone do that though

just heard the interview. he may as well have just come on an said. "hello im a cnut, im being bent over by hmv at this very moment and im determined to do everything i can to make sure the irish consumer continues to pay higher prices "

he had a great arguement when presented with the cdwow guy making a lucid sensible arguement: "its absolute rubbish" "its a red herring" "we have anicdotal evidence".

just out of interest. what sean hughes said was that high street business is down. so what. this does not affect the musicians? i thought that irma were there to protect the musicians not the retailers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Richieh

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    where can i listen to that interview?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/1127/morningireland/morningireland7a.smil

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Right!, I’m extremely pissed off now. I went to buy Ray D’Arcy and Today FM’s new CD that was released today, “Even Better Than The Real Thing” (Great CD btw, it’s worth buying if only for Rosey’s version of Blu Cantrell’s “Breathe”)

I work around the corner from the Square in Tallaght so on my lunch break I went around to HMV to buy it. I was surprised to see that it was priced at €16.99 which I think is a bit expensive for a covers CD but it’s for charity so it’s for a good cause. Before I bought it though, I thought that I’d go into Virgin just to see how much they were selling it for and was absolutely gobsmacked to see that they were selling it €19.99!!! The robbing bastards!!!

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not a penny pincher or anything like that, after all the CD is for charity, but it really annoys me when you can see blatant profiteering like this and in the name of a good cause too. How can they justify charging €3 more than their nearest rival for the same product when both shops are in the same location, the CD is an Irish CD which means the same suppliers and it’s released on the same day!!

The really ironic thing about all of this is that the charity that the money is going to is The National Children's Hospital Tallaght which is within walking distance of Virgin!!! Nice to see that they're supporting local causes!! :rolleyes:

B.

Are these the people that you’re trying to protect IRMA????
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

what sean hughes said was that high street business is down. so what.
    High street business is down because of the deterioration of the quality of music, the cost of music, and the attitude of the larger companies towards consumers. The internet is a red herring, being blamed for their shortcomings.

Sure, what was it said, only 30-odd% of Irish people had actually ever used the Internet, and only a further 50-odd% of them use it for any sort of online shopping? How many of them shop at cdwow is a mystery, but it could hardly be any noticeable impact on music sales.

Originally posted by seamus
    High street business is down because of the deterioration of the quality of music, the cost of music, and the attitude of the larger companies towards consumers. The internet is a red herring, being blamed for their shortcomings.

Sure, what was it said, only 30-odd% of Irish people had actually ever used the Internet, and only a further 50-odd% of them use it for any sort of online shopping? How many of them shop at cdwow is a mystery, but it could hardly be any noticeable impact on music sales.

but my point is, it shouldnt be any corcern of irma's if high street sales are down as long as the same revenue is being generated overall for artists. so what differance does it make to an artist if this revenue is generated via high street or internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

but my point is, it shouldnt be any corcern of irma's if high street sales are down as long as the same revenue is being generated overall for artists. so what differance does it make to an artist if this revenue is generated via high street or internet?

*C(artel)ough*

that's what I can't understand.

If I go into HMV and but one U2 album for 25 euro, U2 get 3 euro (approx) for that.

So why are the artists so pissed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Kananga
    that's what I can't understand.

If I go into HMV and but one U2 album for 25 euro, U2 get 3 euro (approx) for that.

So why are the artists so pissed off?

Because U2 get a smaller cut in Hong Kong, than they do in Europe, in order to keep the price lower in Asia. Presumably to try and stimulate demand in a tough market. Europeans like european music, so the record labels can charge more because people will buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The only CDs I buy in HMV & Co. are Irish CDs that can't be bought easily online (e.g. "Even Better Than The Real Thing" which I bought in HMV this morning). I buy the music to suit my weird taste online because some of the CDs aren't even in HMV.

So I'm supporting Irish Artists, and lining HMV's pockets at the same time. Why reduce my choice and make me suffer?

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

The artists aren't complaining - that's the point. It's this nice little cartel that's complaining...

In my opinion, IRMA is a cartel of retailers, distributors and others with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. If they truly want to beat cdwow.ie then they should go about it by direct competition.

Of the members listed on the IRMA website those members that are recording artists themselves have nothing to fear from cdwow.ie because their releases aren't stocked by cdwow.ie

I'll bet you haven't gotten a reply from them yet... me neither? :eek:

Originally posted by seamus
    Because U2 get a smaller cut in Hong Kong, than they do in Europe, in order to keep the price lower in Asia. Presumably to try and stimulate demand in a tough market. Europeans like european music, so the record labels can charge more because people will buy it.

Ah ha, received and understood.
    Still,.........bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭manic_monster

www.layoyo.com

Not free delivery but works out at just over €5 for 2 cds. prices similar to cdwow.
    That showed up in a quick search of www.google.com.hk. I am sure there are similar online stores in singapore, thailand etc.

They might get cdwow - but there will laways be another one to replace it

Originally posted by shabbyroad
    Of the members listed on the IRMA website those members that are recording artists themselves have nothing to fear from cdwow.ie because their releases aren't stocked by cdwow.ie

so y dont cdwow just hit IRMA with that. surely if none of their members products are stocked then they have no case what so ever?

• Advertisement

Everything you need to know about IRMA can be learned at their annual "music awards"...

Let me summarise:

Pretty Boy Bands

Pretty Girl Bands

Pretty Boy Singers

Pretty Girl Singers

and a bunch of token awards for the above, back-slapping those who have sucked the integrity out of music.

May they fail in everything they do.

Advertisement