Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free ! 3.0 Ghz from Dell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Humphrey

I rang Dell Customer Service.

She knew nothing about it but said there is definitely some error as it was only 21 euro. She is sending an email to the internet team and then she said she would ring me back. But it is close of business now so it will be tomorrow.

Humphrey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

So how does glutton boy-Disco Stu's order for 3 PCs fit into all this!? :D

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

They said that i had ordered a pc which was advertised with an incorrect price on their website. While many people had tried to take advantage of them they did acknowledge that soem people acted in good fait. They imediately dismissed the ones that were sold for negative amnounts. Because of this they decided to honour 26 (not 10) of the transactions picked randomly(my friend probably did the picking :) ) by computer and that mine was included. I do have to pay for delivery though and the order will be as i ordered apart from the monitor being a 17in CRT only.

Now i can get rid of my crappy pc at last.

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    They said that i had ordered a pc which was advertised with an incorrect price on their website. While many people had tried to take advantage of them they did acknowledge that soem people acted in good fait. They imediately dismissed the ones that were sold for negative amnounts. Because of this they decided to honour 26 (not 10) of the transactions picked randomly(my friend probably did the picking :) ) by computer and that mine was included. I do have to pay for delivery though and the order will be as i ordered apart from the monitor being a 17in CRT only.

Now i can get rid of my crappy pc at last.

What was the price on the invoice of your system? I have to say, your info is a bit suspect. I mean, 26, why 26, not 27, 25? Why none from the north? How long was the pricing oddity known before it was posted here?

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Why 26 transactions? Seems very suspect to me, I still think that they should honour either all the transactions or none of them :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Mine was 194.
    I got an email first thing this morning at work and ordered then.
    How would i know why 26 (one for every county?, the number of hairs on the back of your hand?, Half the number of cards in a deck?)
    Anyway, enough from me on this. I'm not here to prove anything, just to let people know whats going on.

bah, I'm getting a headache :mad:

Stupid Dell, if they can't manage their website properly then they should have to pay the consequences.

Anyone who ordered a machine for a negative sum really deserves to be slapped silly - whatever about getting one for cheap they're not in any way going to give you one and give you money too.

As for this honouring of 26 orders malarky, if they do that then really they deserve all the hassle that they're going to get off the public, because it'll seriously piss people off.

Originally posted by moridin
    Why 26 transactions? Seems very suspect to me, I still think that they should honour either all the transactions or none of them :ninja:

The difference between honouring 384 systems sold at an average of €40 a piece and 384 sold at the current price of €599 (no inc Vat) is around €210K. :ninja:

Matt

So you honour none if you can't afford to cover the cost of your cock-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i wonder what would happen if we showed dell this thread?

• Advertisement

We at Dell Corporation Inc Ltd International would like to say "Haha, we screwed up but we're not responsible" and laugh at you.

Thank you for your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

luckily boards is blocked by their websense proxy so nobody in dell can see this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

Lucky for DaithiSurfer's friend ;-)

*bounces*

Ok, time to start an anti-Dell movement. Lets call it Lled *sigh*

I'm so going home now. cYa! :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slowjoe

In my humble opinion.... under Irish consumer law, if they accept the order (ie take the money from your credit card) then they are obliged to supply you with what you ordered, or evavelent (by specifications etc) or better. Payment is a proof of order dispite what the T&C's say

If you cancel the order, then they can charge you an admin fee, but not if they cancel the order.

If the other was the case when you hired a car under a special offer, and went to the fire place they could say sorry no car... and not have to give you anything they have.

So check your credit card statement and see if they take payment - if they dont then they are right and not accept your

I could be wrong.... but worth checking..... as the more people getting together the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    Got the call :)
    I've been told not to tell anyone else who ordered. oops.

I don't believe you one bit!

Apparently they were talking about it on Today FM this morning.
    Did anyone hear it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by slowjoe
    In my humble opinion.... under Irish consumer law, if they accept the order (ie take the money from your credit card) then they are obliged to supply you with what you ordered, or evavelent (by specifications etc) or better. Payment is a proof of order dispite what the T&C's say

I love all these pseudo lawyers on boards, really, I do.
    Ever seen 'E&OE'? Errors and omissions excepted? That means if they DO make a mistake in pricing or specs, they're not obliged to honour it.
    If you see something mispriced in a shop, the shop is not obliged to sell to you at that wrong price.
    I could well believe a company like Dell would honour a few orders for good PR, but they're as aware as I am that y'all are just out to scam them :-)))))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

I got a call saying my order had'nt been accepted :mad:

I gave them the consumer rights spiel but it got me nowhere. Did'nt hear anything about a cancellation fee though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The company I used to work for do a lot of outsoruced call centre work for Dell - this happened before last year with 17inch flat screen monitors that went on sale far too cheap.

Dell got us to contact everyone and tell them they could have it at full price or not at all, the terms of sale on their website are legally watertight, so they can increase the price at any stage. The cancellation fee was never mentioned before though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by s8n
    I got a call saying my order had'nt been accepted :mad:

I gave them the consumer rights spiel but it got me nowhere. Did'nt hear anything about a cancellation fee though.

I don't see how you could have a right to bitch about consumer rights when you were deliberately, knowingly trying to rip them off. I don't think Dell should have honoured any of the scammers - I don't believe that there would be so many people that could be so stupid as to order a PC for €30 or whatever "in good faith".

I wouldn't be surprised if some would-be thief tries to sue Dell for not honouring the order - further proof that we're catching on to the American Way of sueing your way to success. Chancers be buggered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Sico
    I don't see how you could have a right to bitch about consumer rights when you were deliberately, knowingly trying to rip them off. I don't think Dell should have honoured any of the scammers - I don't believe that there would be so many people that could be so stupid as to order a PC for €30 or whatever "in good faith". Chancers be buggered.

I'm with you on that one...btw, why did Woooooooo get banned from here? What did he do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I have to agree with Sico.
    We were all chancing our arms on this one. I don't think we can shout about 'rights' when everyone who ordered one (including myself) knew we were trying to rip them off.
    It was worth a shot but really Dell shouldn't (and don't) have to honour it. The poor sod who screwed this up in Dell is getting a right panning I'm sure and we just tried to take advantage of his or her mistake.

We don't have the right to these machines and we won't be getting them.

And I REALLY don't believe for one second that Dell are honouring 10 as DaithiSurfer has said. That's just bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by eth0_
    I'm with you on that one...btw, why did Woooooooo get banned from here? What did he do?
    For the trolling earlier in the thread I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Sorry if this has been posted already (there was only a page full in this thread the last time I read it) and I didn't "back-read".

http://www.electricnews.net/frontpage/news-9383151.html
    Word of the pricing gaffe spread quickly over the Internet. Several visitors to on-line bulletin boards claimed that they had ordered machines with some individuals claiming they had ordered several machines.

:D

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

im famous :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by dazberry
    Sorry if this has been posted already (there was only a page full in this thread the last time I read it) and I didn't "back-read".

http://www.electricnews.net/frontpage/news-9383151.html

I like this bit:
    The company said that the error was quickly identified and rectified by its pricing monitoring team
    90 minutes+ that's an interesting definition of quick.
    I managed to get mine for €21 don't know where they got the 28 from :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

it really bugs me that they can just walk straight back out of this error. its just a clever form of publicity

And you really believe they want such negative publicity, appearing incompetent two days in a row?

Not all publicty is good publicity..

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Humphrey

My dell machine was 21 euro. I just rang dell customer service and they said my order is in a pending state and i will be contacted within the next 24 hours.

Anyone get their orders cancelled or accepted!!!!

Humphrey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Still waiting to hear.

Advertisement