Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRMA want CD-Wow Shut Down

• 27-11-2003 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

You can tell IRMA what you think of them by clicking on This and typing your thoughts.

I suspect they wont answer too many of these 'submissions'

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Web firm sued over cheap CD imports

THE Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA) is suing the website cdwow.com for alleged illegal supply of cheap CDs from the Far East to Irish consumers, using the so-called grey market, writes Aideen Sheehan.

They are taking the action under "Parallel Imports" legislation which forbids the distribution of goods into Europe without the permission of the copyright owner. The CDs are not pirated copies, but legitimate versions released in Hong Kong at much lower prices than those charged within Europe.

IRMA Director Dick Doyle said that they are suing cdwow.com and its founder Philip Robinson personally and the company is also being sued in the UK and Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

A step backwards for the irish consumer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Never used them myself, always used Play. Though I do know many people who use them and it is a big set back. Stupid copyright laws, only thing they protect are the fat cats. Doesnt anybody think of the consumers :confused:

Pity they were shut down, though ts the kind of law someone would/should have looked at before setting up a business importing cheap CDs from the far east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

"which forbids the distribution of goods into Europe without the permission of the copyright owner" - Is the permission of the copyright owner required to export the goods outside of the EU?

The last time I bought something from cd-wow the cd and packaging were produced in Germany & Austria!

The question has to be asked. Why is it cheaper to buy a product manufactured within the EU, exported outside of the EU and then imported rather than a product which was not exported? The exported product is in no way inferior and in most cases the exported product is more expensive to manufacture due to the extra copy protection put in place for the Asian market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

From listening to them defend their position on the Radio (Morning Ireland) their defence is that they do not in fact import into the EU. They sell from Hong Kong, and the buyer (ie consumer) brings them in which is quite legal. Or at least so they say.

This baby's got legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Jesus, how many bloody cdwow threads do we need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Inquiry into CD sales - 9 February, 2001

Record sales for 'cheap' albums - 19 August, 2003

EMI 'blocks' Adam Ant charity CD - 17 November, 2003

Money, money, money ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by eth0_
    Jesus, how many bloody cdwow threads do we need?

aye, was just about to say the same thing.

Why doesnt a moderator use their super human powers and do a merge and make one super dooper thread (/me nudges eth0_);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Scruff
    aye, was just about to say the same thing.

Why doesnt a moderator use their super human powers and do a merge and make one super dooper thread (/me nudges eth0_);)
    Move em all to Music/Radio and do a super merge :)

/me pokes DeVore

Advertisement