Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best club in the world ?

• 27-11-2003 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

The best club in the world, according to themselves, were playing live on RTE last night. It was a terrible match. The reality is that Manchester United are the richest club in the world. They are far from being the best.

Imagine being one of the unfortunate supporters travelling all the way to Greece to
    see that.

Oh well I guess you don't get rich by being nice to people, even your supporters.

ABU you might say, AB who plays quality football I say.

Come on "The Reds".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

I wouldnt say they are far off the best team in the world whever that maybe . On there day they can beat anyone and the same could be said for possibly 4 or 5 other top sides around Europe.

It is very hard to say who si the out and out best tema but they are up there .Unlike anyone else in England but Liverpool fans would tell you they are in there somewhere (Yeah right )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Big Eyes

Greatest club in the world ;) . And those who travelled to see them in Greece last night are probably happy with the result.
    United get the same critisism every year. I'd be suprised if United don't go on a brilliant run after Christmas. Remember, they were unbeaten in the league from St. Stevens day until the Southampton match in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Tray

This could be the silliest thread I have ever seen...:rolleyes: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

the team might have been full of nobodys for lastnights match and that could have been an insult to some supporters but they have a big match sunday and alll bar 1of last nights starting team were full internationals,but also you could say a sh1t united player would get picked way before a good player from outside top5 teams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Tray

For the love of all thats good lock this thread before we have another ManU v Pool v everybody debacle:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It depends how you want to judge it. The most obvious way to do it would be to total up the amount of silverwear they have accumulated over the past 30 or 40 years. If that was the case, Real or Liverpool would probably be there off the top of my head. BUt that wouldn't be fair, you would probably have to give a greater weighting to silverwear over the past 10 or 15 years. Then United or Real would probably be there. So Real it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

but what else do we have to do? debating meaningless and unprovable things brings, er, meaning to my life.

Go on the pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Oh yes another meaningless thread.

IMHO I think Utd were at the top of their game the year they won the treble. So at that time I reckon they were the best club in Europe (and maybe the world). The team back then was practically solid all over and I think RVN is the only player I would put into that team in hindsight. However ATM they are not the best club in the world. Came across this analysis done lately on the best clubs of all time. Makes for interesting reading. And before I get flamed I am not trying to use this to spark yet another arguement. Just going on the facts :) because that seems to me to be th ebest way to solve an arguement.
    Liverpool Football Club has been voted the most successful British team in a new statistical analysis as published in Monday's The Times.

Marcelo Leme de Arruda is a contributor to the Red Sport Soccer Statistics Foundation and what he has come up with makes compelling reading. The rankings are taken from tournaments and titles won by clubs throughout their history.

Finishing second in the league or runners-up in a final are also taken into consideration in this poll and is worth half as much to a team as winning a competition.

By virtue of winning a record 18 top flight league championships and four European Cups Liverpool are the top British team, ahead of Manchester United. As far as the best in Europe are concerned, only six teams in Real Madrid, AC Milan, Juventus, Ajax, Bayern Munich and Inter Milan are ahead of Liverpool in the rankings.

Explaining in greater detail how De Arruda came to orchestrate his rankings he relies on two variables which he calls the "strength" of a championship and its "difficulty".

The strength of a competition is established by looking at the performance of teams from that competition in the immediately superior competition. The performance of English sides in the European Cup helps to determine the weight given to league championships, while the performance of European sides in the Intercontinental Cup and Fifa World Club Cup help to determine the weight given to the European Cup/Champions League.

The Top 30 greatest teams

1 Boca Juniors (Argentina) 21,029.35 pts
    2 Penarol (Uruguay) 20,747.21 pts
    3 River Plate (Argentina) 18,022.66 pts
    4 Independiente (Argentina) 18,015.68 pts
    5 Real Madrid (Spain) 17,883.97 pts
    6 Nacional (Uruguay) 16,995.40 pts
    7 AC Milan (Italy) 14,268.53 pts
    8 Sao Paulo (Brazil) 13,157.79 pts
    9 Juventus (Italy) 11,778.68 pts
    10 Ajax (Netherlands) 10,657.65 pts
    11 Santos (Brazil) 10,372.16 pts
    12 Racing (Argentina) 10,042.97 pts
    13 Bayern Munich (Germany) 8,813.24 pts
    14 Olimpia (Paraguay) 9,453.34 pts
    15 Flamengo (Brazil) 9,220.26 pts
    16 Palmeiras (Brazil) 8,852.16 pts
    17 Inter Milan (Italy) 8,488.38 pts
    18 Corinthians (Brazil) 8,137.00 pts
    19 Estudiantes (Argentina) 7,540.31 pts
    20 Gremio (Brazil) 7,149.16 pts
    21 Vasco (Brazil) 7,110.53 pts
    22 LIVERPOOL 6,638.82 pts
    23 Manchester United 6,464.41 pts
    24 Benfica (Portugal) 5,546.91 pts
    25 Velez Sarsfield (Argentina) 5,430.74 pts
    26 San Lorenzo (Argentina) 4,612.24 pts
    27 FC Porto (Portugal) 4,375.22 pts
    28 Feyenoord (Netherlands) 4,280.59 pts
    29 Barcelona (Spain) 3,998.82 pts
    30 Fluminense (Brazil) 3,726.00 pts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Oh yes another meaningless thread.

True, the place is full of them;)

Obviously Jonno is correct in saying that Liverpool have won more trophies than anyone else and so are the most sucessful English team of all time but I wouldn,t think even their most ardent supporter would claim the Liverpool class of 03 to be the best in the world as the 8 teams above them would IMO be more entitled to stake a claim.. As to which is the best team in the world at the moment I suppose the current world club champions would claim that title.
    Thats not Man U so obviously I wouldn't have a clue who it is.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

this thread is like a mouse-trap, ready to pounce on any bigheaded fans. at the moment the best team in the world is real madrid.

the likes of ac milan, juve, manu and arsenal could all beat madrid on their day so its tight but madrid are the best.

madrid at THEIR best cannot be beaten by anyone which is why i say they are best in the world.

best english club is manu. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I don't know, I think Arsenal at their best would beat United at their best.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think considering united make the most money in the world, they are the best club in the world. Maybe not the best team in the world at the moment etc. but when it comes to judging it ona club basis, the management structure etc. I reckon united are the team to beat. we saw that Real took advice from united on marketing strategys n stuff

I am a united fan

This is a silly thread.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

don't know, I think Arsenal at their best would beat United at their best.....

And both not at their best would beat liverpool;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

Best?

Cork City, without a doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Oh look I accidently closed the thread !!!

Gandalf

(my dick is bigger that your dick!)

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement