Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webcasts

Options
  • 27-11-2003 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some information on how to set up webcasts

i.e. server requirements, hardware, software, etc

I know this question has a highly unlikely answer, but for example if you are running a webcast 24/7 - would the only serious issue be with bandwidth or are there other factors consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

What exactly are you hoping to show?

Is it a webcam, concert, radio station, tv channel????

Bandwidth will obviuosly be an issue, but everything depends on what you are tansmitting!

Gis more info so we can help you a bit more!

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

it would be kind of a tv channel - we people would be paying to place a video advertisement on a website.

now the stream can be live or created and just upload - either way. But we are talking about full audio and video.

I am just looking for the best way to do this and what I need to do it right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

OK

For streaming live content you have to think about what hardware you are going to need to get the content into the machine so you can encode it. You will obviuosly need a machine fast enough to encode the media to your chosen output on a continuous basis.

I would start by deciding whether I'm going to be streaming live content or is the content going to be static. The I would try and estimate how many people I expect to be viewing the file at one time.

Once you have decided on these factors, you can then start thinking about whether or not to use a streaming server or simply just stream a file.

Obviuosly the more people viewing the site, the higher the server load and the higher the bandwidth usage!

It may be an idea to outsource this work too, to someone like www.servecast.ie

Advertisement