Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request for a Legal Board

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by crash_000
    It would be interesting (if it were possible) to implement a user rating system on that board only.

Thats anudder thing.

The famous 'karma' feature should be Board specific when it comes in.

JackoMickey may be a 5* on a For Sale Board and a minus rating in the personal Issues Board at the same time. The Humour Board should be a Karma feature free zone :D

It may wreck yer head Dev but Lawyers wreck yer pockets ....which is worse IMO

M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by Hobart
    When you gets advice on PI. You do not automatically assume you are conversing with a qualified counciller. Sam with advice on the motors board, one does not assume that one is talking to a mechanic. Advice is advice, and is mostly garnered through experience. What people do with that advice is their own business. Caveat Emptour(sp?) should apply in all cases. This should apply to this (proposed) board.

One does not assume, one may know that a certain poster is a lawyer, although I cant say speak for online issue in a real life situation a lawyer can not give out friendly adive because he is liable. Of course this is an extreme situation and will most likely never happen, but why put boards.ie and the Admins in a posistion they don't have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by Sangre
    One does not assume, one may know that a certain poster is a lawyer, although I cant say speak for online issue in a real life situation a lawyer can not give out friendly adive because he is liable. Of course this is an extreme situation and will most likely never happen, but why put boards.ie and the Admins in a posistion they don't have to be.
    If you look at the original request I have linked to some examples of where this board would be handy. The fact that "legal/advisory" topics are currently spread throught boards, at the moment, puts less control on what advice is given. The fact is these requests/questions are already coming up. If there is an issue the fact the new board does/does-not exist will have no bearing on your example above.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Sangre
    Oh btw Victor, im fairly certain a law student falls under the 'special knowledge' category.
    Nope, at least not from the point of view of "can't serve on /*(read as "can get automatically out of...")*/ a jury"

I don't know how many practising barristers/solicitors we have on boards (or even if we have any). There are of course a few "did law, thinks lawyers are evil corrupters of the law, wouldn't touch professional law with a bargepole" (and in my case, buggered off and started degree number 2 in something else) types though. If they're not practising they're not personally liable (as opposed to boards being liable) as long as they don't misrepresent themselves. IANAL can go a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

Nope, at least not from the point of view of "can't serve on /*(read as "can get automatically out of...")*/ a jury"
    Law students are not specifically mentioned as being exempted but all you have to do is say " I'm a law student and I feel that my greater knowledge on the law would influence the other jury members into following my way of thinking". Say this and you will be allowed to head off no questions asked;)
    I still think a board of this type would be good as a sort of general advice board for people rather than a place where practising solicitors or barristers answered all the questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Any news/decision on this?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I didn't decide on this because I'd only looked back through the previous month's threads. We'll have to think about this one.

Advertisement