Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake III: Arena has gone gold

Options
  • 22-11-1999 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Apparently so folks, the announcement is on Blue's, no details on when its out yet, perhaps we may see it December 3rd for that good ol decision of whether to buy it or UT. Or just buy both of em & play til you puke smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if i buy ten pints and then puke and then use your copies id save about 70 quid smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Perhaps the 26th of Nov like I predicted

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

What does it matter a fu(k if it's gone Gold. It can go platinum for all I care. Bleedin PR scam.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Urr.... No, Monty smile.gif

Four days lead time off going gold? Not a hope matey smile.gif

Shame GAME went to the bother of printing out a squillion flyers for it with Nov 26 written on 'em smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

fun n frolics with the lads from game in newry yesterday. I wanted to know when opposing force expansion for half life was out. Ahh half life they chuckled, thats been out ages, its over there they smirked. Ah no i said, what i'm asking about is the mission pack, opposing force ..... blank stares ...... followed by .... half lifes over there .... smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Ignorant Newry Ba$terds. Opposing force is going to rock, I read a review on PlanetHalfLife so it must close to release. On another note, what does "gone gold" actually mean ?

Slán,
    jAH

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It means Id have made bagfuls of money without any proof that the game is any good. Let's face it us sheep will buy it anyway. It mean pre-orders have exceeded a certain amount.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

My little brother won a copy. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Means the gold master CD has been done and its off for duplication and boxing, then selling natch.

I think Muso is off on a different tack altogether here smile.gif

"Going Gold" in the computer game industry means a completely different thing to the music industry, where it implies that you've sold a certain number of copies.

To us lot, "gone gold" means that it's finished, 100% done, and is off to be duplicated.

In Quake3's case, it means that Id have panicked to get it out for Christmas so you may start warning your modem about the mad big patch you'll need in about a month's time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

I read John Carmacks .plan today and It never mentioned q3a going gold.

Another thing, if they did actually go gold then I'd imagine they fixed the net code for a final release and the server overheads.

Thats good, but what really concerns me is the other stuff, ie. weapon speed, damage, switch time, air control, etc.

Have they released a version which is truely gonna be crap? If they do, I swear i'll give it the same regard i gave q2, ie. a waste of valueable diskspace.

I Donno, I kinda feel disappointed that there gonna release it with all those 'weird' things in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Carmacks plan mentions **** all most of the time smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Well Eric, I'm afraid it's true.

Hope the muppets (id) haven't messed it up like the last time. They're still living on their rep from Doom 2 & Quake ffs.

Al.

.plans:

Name: Christian Antkow
    Email: xian@idsoftware.com
    Description: Level Designer
    Project: Quake 3 Arena

Nov.21.1999 @ 11:17pm

Gold!!!! ph34r!!!!!!!!

-Xian

Welcome to id Software's Finger Service V1.5!

Name: Kenneth Scott
    Email: kenneth@idsoftware.com
    Description: Artist
    Project: Quake 3 Arena
    Last Updated: 11/21/1999 22:08:05 (Central Standard Time)
    11-21-1999

We're Gold!

I love you sweetpeach. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

Shinji writes:
    >In Quake3's case, it means that Id have >panicked to get it out for Christmas so you >may start warning your modem about the mad >big patch you'll need in about a month's >time.

hehe, it amuses me that the people who have a big stake in unrealtournament.co.uk (suds and shinji) are the most vocal critics of Q3... unbiased reporting lads? :^)))

Personally, I'll wait until I have a release copy of both on my harddrive and ...wait...for...it... I'll *PLAY* them.

All this supposition and political negativity is annoying in some ways.

I like UT, its fun.
    I like Q3, its fun too.

Do they both have to install on the same sector of your harddrive or something???

DeV.

Heh Dev,

Maybe they have some anti-"each other" code build in. Load q3a and it checks and deletes UT and visa versa!

Maybe some people forgot that both games can/are/could be quite good and people will play both. Then again..

Personally, as a quake head, Id love q3a to be what I want it to be. It's like when half life came out, the game rocked, I played it, and went back to QW. I dont knock it, cos its a great game, so I wont knock UT either.

I have noticed alot of UT players knocking q3 tho, havnt seen many q3'ers knocking UT. It's just a trend I've noticed.

I'm a vocal critic of Q3, yes, but purely because I don't think it's as good as UT, and in fact I don't think it's as good as Quake2 or Quake1 either. It has NOTHING to do with my role in Unrealtournament.co.uk - and I should point out that there is a Q3A site in development as well, although Id have been infinitely less helpful than Epic have.

I like UT, it's fun.

I like Q3 in ways as well. It has some cool stuff, and it's nice and familiar. But I just don't like it very much, and I would play Q1/Q2/UT in preference. I'll still install it and probably play it a fair bit, but I do think that anyone who buys Q3 on the Quake name alone is going to be disappointed, and will probably have walked past a much better game on the way to the counter, namely UT.

Amp may well be right... we should all play glMineSweeper smile.gif

BTW, in response to Eric's post, probably the reason for the Q3-bashing from the UT fans is because the Quake dynasty is much more established, and Quake3 is getting all the support from retail, and from the various tourney organisers. The UT scene feels that it needs to be louder just to be heard at all... This is true of any upstart against an established regieme smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Shinji (edited 22-11-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

Good point dev smile.gif

Anywaay, in terms of gameplay, we all know that QW rules both games hands down.

Mind you - all the signs are that Q3 will sell like, loads more than UT (or any other game next year). There have been 1.4 MILLION downloads of the Q3 demo since last week. Check out sCary's messageboard on the announcement - about 1500 comments to his announcement this morning. (by comparison UT's gold announcement got 103 comments over the past week and a half).

From the look of Q3, I reckon they are majorly aiming at the massive console/manga market (i.e. Japan).

This games industry is getting huge. If you consider that there are about 10 times as many people who will buy a cd in a shop than go to the effort/expense of downloading a demo, and multiply that by the cost (about £30), you get a figure between £>45 mill and £500 million pounds worth of sales. That's like hollywood blockbuster proportions.

Like I read somewhere, Carmack and the boys must be standing around the office right now with their little fingers at their mouths going "mwwuahhaahhahaahh!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

:BTW, in response to Eric's post, probably the reason for the Q3-bashing from the UT fans is because the Quake dynasty is much more established, and Quake3 is getting all the support from retail, and from the various tourney organisers. The UT scene feels that it needs to be louder just to be heard at all... This is true of any upstart against an established regieme

Nnnghhh... UT players *are* just like Linux frothers - c'mon guys, how long till Epic GPL it, and Eric S Raymond starts evangalising the Enforcer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

I Feel I must comment smile.gif

Q3 has issues which afaik have not been addressed by ID - server wise it will be scarce. Epic on the other hand have been actively testing server improvements via server admin mailing list. The improvements are quite staggering from the original beta long time ago. ID have that road to cross now. At a guess its 4-8 weeks development work. Therefore shortage of servers will be an issue up to and over christmas imho.

On the other hand q3a will be a decent game evntually, with a systematic patching program (like Kingpin is stil being patched - though getting great community support too).

Of them all I will play both, somewhat, but primarily UT as the clan I am in has gone over to that side. Fun games ahead.

so be it smile.gif

Thats exacly my point from my first post. I have to agree with sudsy there.

If they have release q3a gold, with their current problems/ errors/ crappieness, etc, Im afraid i'll be rather dissapointed in their release version.

Although better in their previous tests/demos, I still think there is a few major improovments that should have be addressed before it went gold.

Silly old me, I guess It'll be QW forever smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Predator

Ehhhh
    does neone know why when u hit someone with a weapon they make a little pingy noise
    is that gonna be in the final thing?
    please say no.
    And since i only got it today q3atest demo ( tongue.gif)
    i have to say all ye q3ers have gone and freaked over nuthin
    ye sed the lg was amazingly better and cooler
    it still drags like a piece of spaghetti though not as much
    and is NO way as cool as the q1 one
    and i have a problem with blood
    ie U cant seem the damn thing
    u dont know when ure hittin em unless u here that stupid pingy sound
    look at q1 and even q2 u know when uve hit em
    ok so strafe jumping is back
    BUT thats a q1(qw) original thing
    and one other thing
    where the **** are the new weapons
    i was just lookin at list
    wheres grapple and supposed flame thrower
    its all ***
    q2 weapons with the q1 lg
    cmon

But i bet ill still end up playin it as ye'll all move to q3 and ill be left behind on the qw servers
    BOO to ye all for cashing in on ids plan to get money and not make a good game
    OH yhea
    The models are all too q2ish they all look likee q2 guys and u cant tell em apart unless their on top of u or u take the time to read there name in ure crosshairs
    some one sed it looks like manga
    yes it does and why ?
    hmm to even maie it run fast u turn off all that crap neway and it looks brown like q1.
    End of day
    its still the same game i played in 1.06 1.07 and 1.08 with a bit of tweaks
    G.
    To hell with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

suds , if people just went for the best gameplay 1.4 million of them would still be playing quake, people dont care what game they are playing so long as they are having fun, and people dont have fun when they are being beaten 80 - 0 in 10 minutes(except for a small minority who dont give a ****e and will play you repeatedly,until they get bored)
    its because of the huge difference in skill between people who have just started playing quake and the rest of the players that people leave, they see no point in continuing to play a game where they think they could never reach the top, or even beat SOME people at.

try it out sometime, join a duel server and give yourself a "disability" like setting v_kickpitch, v_kickroll, and v_kicktime really high so that you lose in EVERY fight(make sure of this), you will play a few games but you will soon get bored and leave, because it does get boring (you cant get better if all you are doing is pressing fire to spawn, and dying)

both quake3 and unreal tournament are good enough so that a lot of people are going to play them, but then apparently tomb raper or something was so good that they made three of them, and there are a lot of people who play that too

oh yeah, quake3 is a good game on a nice machine on lan

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

in your humble opinion of course..

im going to get both.

on a more serious note.
    i have to go to work sad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Q3 -pour hommoes.
    UT - pour femmes.

However for shear gameplay doom gets my vote. Think about it , these days you could pick up 4 PC's that could play doom very nicely for less then the cost of one PC that could play UT or Q3. Now that you have your own little LAN you can have your friends over as often as you like for big old fashioned doom shoot - outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

ignore,

duplicate post

[This message has been edited by ste (edited 22-11-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

I'm an 'expect' who doesn't talk sh1t {!}

as if ...

BTW ...
    UT is pretty good
    Q3 is alright

QW RULES!

[This message has been edited by ste (edited 22-11-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Firstly do we have to bicker like childern about this, most people will play the game they like best be it glminesweeper or whatever.

Secondly I'd like to who whare this magical fig of 1.4 million comes from (and how real it is) as UT got 350,000 downloads in 10 days from 3dfx alone, this sounds more realistic to me to be honest! (if its worldwide UT is not far behind IMHO)

Mybe I've been asleep here but I have not seen much slagging from either side, everyone is giving their opinions about either game, I thought it had not really started to be honest. People are allowed to say what they think are they not

Dev your some man to talk about vested intrests and only saying and doing because you own or have an intrest in something.. :@)

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 22-11-99).]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The way I see it, I've played both and really enjoyed both. Anyone who was talking to me at dubLAN know's I was mostly playing UT - reason being, I'd only leeched it on the Saturday and it was a new game to me. I thought it rocked - it was pure fun.

I've also played the tests of Q3A - I've not got the demo release yet, but I plan to soon. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. I've not been online much in recent months (work constraints), but I'm looking forward to getting into it in a big way again.

I'm (like several of the prevous posters) gonna wait for the shop release until I start passing judgement. There's no reason you can't like both is there - it's not gonna be one of those blur -v- Oasis things is it??? sunglasses.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

you are a right muppet Waldron ya know that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

ha, you think the Q3/UT debate has some vocal participants here?, read the 3dshack board smile.gif

I was frankly amazed (which is difficult smile.gif) by the amount of die hard Q3 and UT fans on those forums, and the lengths they were prepared to go to to defend their chosen game.

Advertisement