Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

re: tyres and nct test!

Options
  • 27-11-2003 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

ok lads and lasses......

i am getting my much mentionded civic coupe sr tested 2morro. i havent done a thing to it, i just get it done for oil and thats all really, i expect it to pass, but the 2 rear tyres are pretty badly worn.

the front ones are fine, will this be a prob? the headlights are great, i had a colt before this, with spots. and the beams from this civic put the colt in the shade, you can adjust the beam from inside so i might point out that to the tester in case he got them in the wrong position? mmmmm

another thing that flared up pretty recently is the hand brake light comes on momentarilly whilst you accelerate (!) i mean when you start her up and drive off......i
    anyone know what this is about, ?

i dont think its nothing too major, i topped it up for oil a while ago and maybe put in too much, im getting the oil done this weekend anyway, but it wont be till after the nct......:) if that makes sense.

thanks guys

ezza

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

tyres dont sound too promising, they pick up on eveything in the test, weak suspension, cracks in lights, seats, even heard a them failing wiper blades!

so i guess they would definatly pick up on baldy tyres

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just because your beams are better than the Mitsibushi, doesn't mean they are aligned correctly! Adjusting them from inside just corrects vertical alignment (if there was a heavy load in the boot you could lower the lights for example). This doesn't correct them from pointing towards oncoming cars.

If your tyres are that badly worn then you shouldnt be on the road. Given the ****e weather we have had / will have for the next 4 or 5 months you are a danger to other road users - your stopping distance will be reduced. I for one don't want you reshaping my boot when Im heading to work!

Putting too much oil in the engine can result in excessive oil pressure and thereby adding to the strain on seals etc.. It could even feck up your emissions tests.

Handbrake light coming on is probably caused by the switch at the handbrake lever.

Lastly, you cant talk to the tester! You get to speak to a receptionist - not the person who checked the car (possibly don't even speak english).

Let us know the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Minimum tyre dept is 1.6mm mate just measure them if they are ove you are grand if not get new tyres
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

the nct does not pick up everything!!!
    they pick up on eveything in the test, weak suspension, cracks in lights, seats, even heard a them failing wiper blades!
    my dad car went for the test and failed on the cluth peddle rubber and something small aswell!!! but the 2 links were worn to nothing and they didnt pick up on them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

nah, i wont be rear ending anyone.....the brakes on this car are **** hot anyway!

the rear tyres are not that badly worn, its too late to do anything to the car now, so i will just have to hope for the best,

im sure the rubbers on the paddles are worn a bit as well, as for the hand brake light, i dont know.

why does it come on when i accelerate, so weird.

im only a student, and cant afford this car, let alone get parts for it:rolleyes:

i will let ye know how i get on with her.......

go on ye honda...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Handbrake light coming on is probably caused by the switch at the handbrake lever.

It could also happen leve of when brake fluid is low. Check the level before doing anything.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by x in the city
    nah, i wont be rear ending anyone.....the brakes on this car are **** hot anyway!
    Brakes will only help to a certain extent. If you have inadequate tread on your tyres, stopping distances in the wet are hugely increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    the nct does not pick up everything!!! my dad car went for the test and failed on the cluth peddle rubber and something small aswell!!! but the 2 links were worn to nothing and they didnt pick up on them!!!

sorry meant to say they can be fussy about anything, as you say the clutch peddle rubber

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    the nct does not pick up everything!!! my dad car went for the test and failed on the cluth peddle rubber and something small aswell!!! but the 2 links were worn to nothing and they didnt pick up on them!!!
    I got failed on the brake pedal - once you see any metal under the rubber you fail., later on that afternoon and €7.19 poorer yer man had a quick visual inspection and the cert was ready by the time I had driven round the back...

Also check your indicatiors - if they use Orange bulbs make sure the [RANT] PAINT [/RANT] has not flaked off - that too is a fail. - yeah lights are a fail - so do a walkaround first..

Havent' they done away with fail advisory ?

The long and short of it - if you don't have major problems I'd nearly recommend getting the NCT to look at car before going to a garage per-test. So that if you go to a garage you will have a Measure of how well they fixed things..

Have to agree that some of the checks could be better and more thorough - maybe a campaign for more tests and more discretionary powers to the testers to fail cars ??? (In my case engine mounting brackets were worn - car passed OK two years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Well , x in the city ?

What's the story ? Did the Honda pass or fail ?

I've got mine coming up on my Accord Friday week and am gonna replace two tyres (Not just for the NCT but for my own peace of mind too) .

I've just called an old classmate who's a mechanic , he told me he didn't really want to anything to the car unless there's something I think needs doing.

He said he doesn't want to put needless expense on me in case it's fine .

He also mentioned something about what it says on the reg plates ? What needs to be present ? The Irish spelling of the county ?

• Advertisement

I've just seen your other thread now !!

I've got that SRS light on too but I'm fcuked if I'm giving the Honda dealer €70 to turn it off , will they fail me for it ? I'm guesiing they will ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

hi mate

my tyres were pretty bad in the back, not bald, but they are good quality tyres and i can get some more mileage off them.
    the air bag light came on in my car cos i jump started it, and upset the electrics.

i took it to a fiat dealer (!) andgot it reset for about 30/40 euro.

i would advise you to sort out the srs light, if a truck crashes into you, yer air bags wont work.......

why did the light come on?

i dont think the srs light will fail the test, im not sure, but i dont think it will.....

as for the plates, theres scores of stories about reg plates, you need the eu logo and also the place of registration in irish i think! so balile stha cliath, ciarrai, or what not, in small letters below the actual number.

its all a load of shyte, but i heard of failed ncts over the number plate.

i want a personal plate.

EVR-70N anyone?????

or xx KY 1878 would be be nifty........!

what year is the accord?

It's a 1997 2.0 Litre .

Fcuk that I'm not changing the plates just so it has Dun Na Gall on it. The dealer I bought the car off earlier this year put his own plates on the car , you know with his name and number but no Irish !!

Anyone is this a "def" failure ?

plates are definite failure!

What a bloody joke !!

I'll be getting the black permanent marker out or maybe you can but stickers from a motor factor ??

font size and type has to match regulation.

Label from the motor factor should do the trick.

I got the label from Calbro Motor factors on the Tuam Rd.

I had the test this morning , a friend covered his SRS light with a cloth before he did the test and got away with it ( I did the same) it worked !!

NCT man says "The car is fine Sonny, I just want you to do one thing for me , three of your indicator bulbs aren't the right colour . Get them changed, call back with the car and one of us will have a look and give it the thumbs up"

I was watching the test and the back two certainly were more white than orange .

Is it the bulbs that need changing or the actual housing though ? Any ideas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 steeo

Go into your local motor factors and pick up 4 new orange indicator bulbs and replace them all at once, it will only cost you a few euro and will take about 10 mins to replace

Done it all on Friday evening. At a cost of just €3 for the three bulbs .

Brought it out and got the Cert at 4.30 , job was oxo !!

Advertisement