Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Utopia - where is it?

• 27-11-2003 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for reality here folks.....

A resounding theme on boards.ie is how crap it is in Ireland....public transport, public spending, prices of consumer products, prices of houses, gridlock on the roads and so much more.

So seriously post it up, where has got it going on??? If nothing more it will help me make a list of places that i could go. I don't really see myself spending the rest of my life burdened with a 300k+ mortgage and sitting in 90minutes of traffic on the M50 to get to work. (i don;t have any of these things as i'm still a student and have the rest of my life ahead of me, but i want to get it right the first time...no second chances)

I heara lot of people saying how great austrailia is and a lot of people that have gone to the US have come back with greeat things to say about it(other than the odd anthrax packet in the mail)... i suppose a lot of places come off very well when compared to ireland.

Also do me a favour and post why your suggestion is way better than Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Well im headed off to cali when i get enough moneys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Germany is pretty damn cool. Down in the Black Forest region. Lovely scenery, nice people (contrary to popular opinion) cool weather (hot summers, snowy winters, not grey 24/7!), great roads, unreal public transport, cheap accomodation, safe streets at night......... You see where I'm goin with this?:rolleyes:

Edit: Oh and the women are fuppin deadly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Originally posted by Don1
    Germany is pretty damn cool. Down in the Black Forest region. Lovely scenery, nice people (contrary to popular opinion) cool weather (hot summers, snowy winters, not grey 24/7!), great roads, unreal public transport, cheap accomodation, safe streets at night......... You see where I'm goin with this?:rolleyes:

Edit: Oh and the women are fuppin deadly!

Yeah, but they speak germainian.....Not to knock it. If i could get all those things in an English speaking country then i'd be all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i really really enjoyed a trip to new york at the start of the summer. everything is cheaper, public transport is regular and good, weathers variable. love to live there for a few years, they seem to have something to cater for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Galway, about two years ago. Simpler, happier days...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

America is a good place for public transport etc, but the best for all that kind of stuff would probably be Germany! So u can learn Germanian and you'll be sorted!!

Australia should be good aswell, cant wait to go there!

Plus anything compared to here will be good and a hell of a lot cheaper!

This country sucks ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

I love Ireland but I've heard nothing but good things about Canada:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

man i so don't love ireland i went to england and thought ireland was crap how bad is that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    man i so don't love ireland i went to england and thought ireland was crap how bad is that :(

So bad i don't know where to start....but compared to a lot of places Ireland comes off really bad. But we can take heart that we are the information hub of europe. Tell us about that one again Bertie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

yeah germany has a serious infrastructure.
    Trains go exactly on time. by the minute!!
    You gotta laugh tho.
    Germany getting bombed to s**t in ww2 and look at them now.
    Ireland no war and look at it now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thats why we should ditch our neutrality and declare war on the imperialist capitalist Americans!! :D We can order in a load of laser pens from Taiwan and we'll illuminate the skangers who will then be targeted by the laser guided american imperialist bombs! :D Result. No more skangers and then the Yanks can come in and rebuild our infrastructure. Hey, it worked for the Germans, it worked for the Japanese and it worked in that movie, "The mouse that roared"!! :D:D..................Errr actually, if I remember that movie correctly it didn't go exactly to plan :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

Originally posted by Calibos
    Thats why we should ditch our neutrality and declare war on the imperialist capitalist Americans!! :D We can order in a load of laser pens from Taiwan and we'll illuminate the skangers who will then be targeted by the laser guided american imperialist bombs! :D Result. No more skangers and then the Yanks can come in and rebuild our infrastructure. Hey, it worked for the Germans, it worked for the Japanese and it worked in that movie, "The mouse that roared"!! :D:D..................Errr actually, if I remember that movie correctly it didn't go exactly to plan :D:D

class i'm liking the this idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

depends on what your idea of utopia is , for me a few of my fav places in the world are

Sicily: chilled out , you can drive fast, lovely women, beaches, fanatastic food, good fishing, great climate, no bristish tourists in the summer etc. Perfect !!

Dubai, hot and very hot, lots to do, lots of nurses, good sailing , good restaurants, short flight to many interesting places, cheap to live in , no tax and no Fianna Fail.

California, perfect except for the natives who kinda ruin it !

Clare, if it wasn't for the weather and the price of a pint.

Tallinn, Estonia, lots of blondes, cheap to live in , lots of snow, lots of saunas, pretty chilled out place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by growler
    Tallinn, Estonia, lots of blondes, cheap to live in , lots of snow, lots of saunas, pretty chilled out place. [/B]
    Blondes in Cheap Sauna with snow outside. Sounds average! :D

Living just over the border from bavarian germany in austria and I can't complain.
    Hot summers, snowy winters, friendly people, relatively cheap and most government run things work.

And the german (officially that's the language, but it's like Kerryman's english to normal english type of german) isn't too much of a problem as they mostly speak english and they generally like the english speaking accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I lived in New Hampshire for a while(borders Maine, Vermont and Massachusettes).

Had brilliant time there, prob cos heaps of us went and met loads more Irish over there, lots of house parties and lived on beach, Heaven!!

Would have been worse if I had to converse with 'stupid' yanks. They did not know where England was, never mind little old Eire???

Is it not bad for the country when all the intelligent/educated peeps want to leave??

PS, Canadians have to be most Boring people EVER!!!

Nice clean country though, and free of fat 'birds'. :D:D:D

Originally posted by joseph brand

Is it not bad for the country when all the intelligent/educated peeps want to leave??

We'll leave the skangers and the conning corporations to ponder that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Has to be Lanzarote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Considering 'utopia' literally means 'nowhere place', I think you'll be hard pushed to find somewhere that ticks all your boxes OP. ;)

I moved to the Netherlands in 2010, and while it is a nice place with plenty of interesting things going on (especially for young families), it's certainly got its fair share of problems. For example, bureaucracy here is a nightmare - they're cutting huge numbers of staff in their public service, resulting in the introduction of automated systems to keep tabs on the populace, which in my experience often fails and messes people around. Next time I'm moving country, a sense of civil freedom will be high on my list of priorities!

• Advertisement

Please don't drag up 9 year old threads in an attempt to be funny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement