Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP or ASP?

Options
  • 27-11-2003 7:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm looking for an unbiased opinion here.
    I'm going to have to implement a project that I'm working on at the moment, which will basically involve accessing/changing etc an online database from a website which we will create.

At the moment, the database is being created in MS Access. I'm just wondering whether to use PHP or ASP for the implementation of the project.

Could anybody give me reasons why/why not to choose either of the above?
    I have worked with either before, so maybe which is easiler to pick up etc? Or any other suggestions.

Cheers,
    Sinecure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Well i've done some asp programming, nothing in industry i just learned a while back for ****s and giggles. It was good.

I think the easiest answer is which are you most comfortable with yourself. If you know VB then you know ASP tbh.

But i've never touched PHP myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by Peace
    If you know VB then you know ASP tbh.
    Or if you know Javascript (which ASP also supports out-of-the-box as the scripting engine).

Beyond that, I'd recommend you take a quick look at both and go with whatever you feel you are going to be more comfortable with from first impressions. Not a very technical answer, but the technical answer means examining a lot of minutiae that probably aren't going to affect your first few projects, and either will "grow with you" for some time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The only thing I would mention is portability.
    PHP runs on most OS
    ASP only runs on Windows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

But its not a problem if you know you are running a windows server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

But is a problem if your next project is on a linux server.

• Advertisement

So if you want to be able to work on either .. ..

Originally posted by blacknight
    ASP only runs on Windows

Not strictly true: <http://wwws.sun.com/software/chilisoft/>.
    That said, while it's not impossible to use ASP with other systems PHP is more portable.

Chillisoft ASP is not full ASP, so you would be a lot better off running something under PHP or Perl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Greggy

ASP = Scripting Language
    PHP = Programming Language

I have used both in commercial projects and to be honest I would go with PHP all the way.

ASP Syntax = VB
    PHP Syntax = C/Java/Perl Combination

From the off PHP & ASP are very similar, with things like string functions etc

Here is a microsoft comparison, a little biased but some good points (& few bad ones)
    Microsoft Comparison - ASP/PHP

Here are some other useful links:
    http://www.geocities.com/ewmpsi/aspvsphp.html
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=asp+vs+php&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&start=20&sa=N

Hope that helps,
    Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Asp in the main implies using an IIS Server.

Doing that is always a bad idea.

For example I recently registered a new box with a domain name.

One of the first things that happend during domain name propigation was a machine/person somewhere who was looking out for newly registered domain names.... and attempted to run a Windows-IIS server exploit, against my Linux-Apache (LAMP) server.

That in itself speaks volumes.

Personally I'm quite fond of php, it's pretty powerful, with all the bells and whistles that lazy programmers generally love, probably ASP is exactly the same way.

Go, write your entire site from a CGI proggie, that you've written in GAS syntax assembler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

if your project is only in access then ASP is the way to go but for implementing bigger, better, more efficiant projects in the future then PHP is worth the time and effort

Originally posted by Greggy
    ASP Syntax = VB
    I wasn't playing a practical joke on Sinecure when I stated that ASP doesn't have to be done with VB earlier, it really is true you know.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Originally posted by Talliesin
    Or if you know Javascript (which ASP also supports out-of-the-box as the scripting engine).

JScript, not JavaScript

if you're sticking with .mdb i'd recommend sticking with ASP-it makes life easier (Better documentation/documented examples, etc.).
    PHP & MySQL wouldn't be too much of a stretch and would be more portable/robust/secure. The cost in time&money to run ASP on anything other than IIS is too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 joemomma

One important point in PHP's favour is that you can do a lot of stuff with a standard installation that would require add-on components with ASP, many of which carry a fee. PHP also has a lot of add-on modules, but generally these are free and of good quality.

Whether this is an issue for you depends on the scale of your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

And if you're going down the Windows path anyway, consider ASP.Net over ASP....

but that's probably just confusing things :)

jc

Originally posted by Karoma
    JScript, not JavaScript
    Well, ECMAScript then (as if I care whose trademark I'm infringing) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

i was just hilighting that there's (minor) diffierences between (old) javascript and ECMA(-262) (JScript) - nothing personal.
    :)

Advertisement