Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card

• 27-11-2003 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I want to change my graphics card (at last), I have a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64 32MB. I want any advice to get a decent card, budget allowing.

Cheers in advance

AL.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

post up your budget and we can then decide on a card

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭alanc

Not sure maybe up to €150 - €200!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

What's the rest of your specs? I presume it's an AGPx4 mobo but AGPx8 cards should run fine.
    Switcging to ATI, the Radeon 9600XT is a good mid range card.
    Staying with nVidia, the GF4Ti series are still great cards and will play anything available (I'd avoid the newer FX5200-5600 range though)

i agree what sir random says whole heartely

i myself have a gf4 and they are great card.

also the 9600XT is a cool card for what u pay for it and it comes with you guessed it... Half-Life 2 (whenever it comes out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I would advise going Redeon if you want any decent DirectX9 performance. The 9600XTs can be found from as little as €200 and out perform the Ti's and FX's particulary in DirectX9 and smooth textures.

I'm going to try and save for a 9800 ... :)

• Advertisement

winters have u seen the silent sapphire 9800 pro

it made me wet my pants i'm getting one of them they sell them on komplett 430 euros approx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

I have to say that the 5600 is pretty good for the price, however the 5200 is pile of c$%p.

Originally posted by hertz
    I have to say that the 5600 is pretty good for the price, however the 5200 is pile of c$%p.

eh both FX cards you mention are crappy poo. If you wanna buy a card and not have to replace it by april next year go for Ati Radeons. NVidia just cant get any decent DirectX9 performace out of it when compared to the ATI's.

Go ati, rar.

Cr3m0, im looking at those Radeon 9800. Pity i dont have enough to get it yet. Damn specials keep on comign and I just gotta buy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

If you want to shop in a shop and not online then get the nvidia 5600 ultra. Or wait another few weeks and get the 5700 ultra which is supposed to beat all competition in mid range cards including all ATI's mid range cards.

Originally posted by Adrian
    If you want to shop in a shop and not online then get the nvidia 5600 ultra. Or wait another few weeks and get the 5700 ultra which is supposed to beat all competition in mid range cards including all ATI's mid range cards.

Already seen reviews with thr FX5700, it only performs as good as the 9600XT on small resolutions and with AA turned off and VSync turned off. Put any sort of quality on the graphics and the nvidia fps drops. Radeon is supiorer on high resolutions and on quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement