Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tractors, JCB's, etc

Options
  • 27-11-2003 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

As we all know, slow moving vehicles like tractors and JCB's can be hazards on the road - especially at night.

I have always thought that it would be a good idea if such vehicles (and any trailers/equipment on tow) were obliged to carry "Slow Moving Vehicle (SMV) Emblems" like in the U.S and Canada (and possibly some EU countries?).

It's basically a reflectorized advanced warning sign to let other road users know that there is a slow moving vehicle ahead. (Many of the tractor trailers on our roads look like trucks from behind).
    These emblems can often be seen on newer excavators (like the machines working on the Luas line)

Slow Moving Vehicle (SMV) Emblem.

Click here -
    smvphoto.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I reckon most drivers wouldn't recognise the emblem anyway and it may not be much use when you are going around a bend on a country road at 3am and some gob****e driving a tractor, with no lights & is on his way home from the pub, and you smack into them.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I definitely think it would be a good idea. People would learn what the signs mean I'm sure. Or else something like a Speed limit circle like what's on the back of some caravans (a 50mph) except maybe 15mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

If these emblems were officially introduced they would have to be part of the theory and driving test examinations (and notices put in national papers to make people aware of their meaning).
    - Whenever they were introduced in the US and Canada, they must have done likewise.

I also believe that ALL such slow moving vehicles should have a flashing orange beacon when on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Silvera
    I also believe that ALL such slow moving vehicles should have a flashing orange beacon when on the road.

I HATE orange flashing lights at night - nothing more distracting esp when trying to peer past a slow yellow
    lump into the dark....this evening at about 5.30 on the road between Carrick on Suir and Portlaw (southside of River Suir) I came across a JCB and a tractor with a flat bed parked at the side of the road (i.e. blocking my lane) lights-a-flashing. God only knows why ppl cant do heavy work in daylight...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by mike65
    I HATE orange flashing lights at night - nothing more distracting esp when trying to peer past a slow yellow lump into the dark....

this evening at about 5.30 on the road between Carrick on Suir and Portlaw (southside of River Suir) I came across a JCB and a tractor with a flat bed parked at the side of the road (i.e. blocking my lane) lights-a-flashing.

God only knows why ppl cant do heavy work in daylight...

Mike.

Maybe they were working all day?

Point is, when they go driving home, perhaps a couple of hours after you got to where you were going, that they have reflective SMV emblems and possibly a nice flashing light, (thanks to Silvera), to make traffic coming behind them that there's a slow moving hazard ahead.

Good idea imo.

Luc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement