Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will This Work?

• 27-11-2003 8:52pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok, firstly let me give you the background to my problem. I use photoshop in college, and as you may know the psp files are usually quite large (not huge, but alot bigger than a jpeg or gif). I always save the work on a zip disk, however i dont have a zip disk drive at home so if i ever need to bring something home i have to turn it into a jpeg and put it on a floppy. obviously this means the image gets flattened and your work can be limited by this.
    Because i currently cant afford a decent zip drive i decided to buy one of those 128mb memory sticks in aldi today, however they were sold out... now i have a problem. I need to get a psp file home for the weekend to finish it and i cant do that at the moment (also i need a solution to solve future problems like this). i got a brainwave afew minutes ago, and i just wanted to see if it would work.
    I have a fugifilm digital camera with an xd card which, when hooked up appears as a removable drive. so i figure, given that xd cards are just for pictures, i can bring my camera in tomorrow, hook it up and transfer the file over. just wanted to see if this will work before i go in and try it, because if it doesnt I'll have to think of something else very quickly.

thanks alot

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Depends on a lot of things - what os is on the college pc, does it have a usb port?
    Can you install software on em ie get administrator privileges. What college u in??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

herein lies the problem, its windows 2000 pro i think, and the computers seem to have usb ports (i can find one that does). Im not sure if i need to install software, but I think i can get away with it anyway.

Im in colaiste dhulaigh, probably the equipped college ive ever heard of. i think they steal their computers from the DCU skip.

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Can't you just email it to yourself as an attachment? or upload it to your own webspace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

u'll be ok if u can get admin rights, just explain your case to supervisor and away u go

i could e-mail it, but this would be alot less hastle if it works, we shall see anyway, cheers for the help

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

You may not need admin rights. If the camera simply shows up as an extra hard drive when you plug it in, as opposed to a twain device that needs drivers etc... then you should be ok, this driver comes as part of win2k anyway (standard usb mass storage driver).

Its possible that the admins may have disabled this but it is unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

i assume you've tried Zip'ing it..? :)
    lidl have pen drives-40 (128)

dont have a zip disk at home just yet... in relation to that whats the best place for an external zip disk (id need it asap so internet orders arent the most suitable at the moment!)

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

zip as in winzip methinks...
    not sure how compressed psp files are, if they're anything like bitmaps, you could save a ****load of space by zip/rar'ing them.

i couldnt find winzip on the pc i was using... ah well I cant get near the file now until i buy a zip drive or spend afew hours dl'n it from my e-mail, i think i'll try the former first

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I use a USB card reader (cost E20) & a 256Mb smart-media card to carry stuff around (it's my camera card). I just plug it into any USB PC and it appears as an extra drive.
    ...or spend a few hours dl'n it from my e-mail
    How big are the files? 100Mbs??

no theyre, not, my connection just sucks, and was especially bad that day.

got myself a zip disk drive, an external 100mb one from peats... working grand and very handy, but it seems abit noisy, anyone know if this is normal?

also i have a card reader built into the pc, wouldnt bother myself to buy an external one, and then have to buy a card too!(no readers seem to have an xd slot, it wasnt out when i got my pc, so theres none on my one either)

Flogen

Advertisement