Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where next for GTA?

Options
  • 27-11-2003 9:02pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok, so the next GTA will be with us in about a years time, but where can it go from GTA:VC. lets remember that its going to be on ps2, so the graphics arent going to improve THAT much. so gameplay wise, where is there for the series to go. I mean, GTA:VC was good, but it got a bit boring after a while, even though that was a big improvement on its prequal

I think that they need to make afew big improvements, but also make the options already available better. for example more interactive enviroments, more enterable buildings, more unique pedestrians etc. The obvious improvements would be better weapons, missions and cars etc. Id like to see the ability to mug someone, i know you can beat them and take money, but Id like to actually hold them up at gun point etc, itd be a nice addition. Id certainly like to see the ability to hold up shops (this would tie in with more enterable buildings).
    the brilliant radio should be expanded on. i dont mean more stations, just longer sets for each one... more songs, more ads, and more talking, so that even after alot of gameplay you'll hear things you never heard before (that annoyed me alot about VC, the same stupid jokes again and again). it cant be that hard to record an extra hours worth of material per station, you might not even need that much.
    helicopters with weapons would also be nice.

the problem is this genre only has a limited life, and it looks like VC was getting close to that lifespan. even with alot of new features, it'l get harder and harder to keep gamers buying a game that has the same basic elements as the others, rob cars, do afew missions, shoot people etc..... although i did feel the missions were much better in VC that GTA 3... so maybe they can still save it!!

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ehm, did you actually play vice city?
    there are helicopters with weapons (sea sparrow & hunter).
    you can rob shops.
    there was over 9 ****ing hours of radio in vc, how much more do you need?
    and you can mug people (hold them up at gunpoint).

i doubt the next gta will expand on vice city's gameplay drasticaly, it'll just be a bit bigger & better...
    hopefully the ps3 outing will have the complete overhaul that the series needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Originally posted by flogen

helicopters with weapons would also be nice.

Someone didn't get 100% in Vice City I see :)

Anyway I agree with what you say, there doesn't seem to be a lot left for the series to do. Simple things like more missions and vehicles are fine but they aren't really a change to the gameplay at the core. VC, great as it was was just very similar to GTA3 in my experience partly I suppose due to the fact that I played them really close together. I actually enjoyed 3 more mainly because it was just so totally new and unique at the time but VC was the same with more bells and whistles. I'm hoping this isn't the case with the next one but judging by the limitations that the PS2 will impose on it I think it will probably end up being similar to the setting of 3 but with the enhancements of VC.

I think something I'd like to see in the next game is a return to the freeform structure of the first game where there was a huge amount of mission choice from all the phone booths scattered around Liberty City and a set money target which gave you a hell of a lot of freedom. I know this would marginalise the story somewhat but I think it would stop the amount of people I've seen stop playing after they hit a brick wall mission. It would also allow them to impliment more than one city (maybe 5 or so smaller cities linked together with you returning to completed cities later on for extra missions) which allows for a larger variety of locations. As you say the missions need to be kept fresh too, VC nearly addressed that but there was still a lot of shoddy missions in the game. One thing I definitely want to see fixed is the corrupt saves issue which cost me no amount of annoyance with VC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Fix the annoying F-ing pop up.......whats the point of haveing a powerful computer if the fecking car's pop up 10 feet away :rolleyes:

stupid old playstation 2 is destroying the game.....move it back to a pc first console second game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭mystik

They should set it in Medieval times. Go round stealing carts, getting drunk in the "Ye Olde Pub" and having sex with the local whore.

Or GTA: Backward Irish Town. Trash the video store, go on a rampage on a tractor and set fire to the thatched roofs.

Well its an idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Ooh, a rural setting sounds like a great idea although I doubt the PS2 could handle natural formations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

well ok, i didnt finish vc 100% so i didnt get to enjoy weaponed helicopters.....
    however:
    i was never able to rob shops, sure you could go in and shoot the guy in ammunation or something, but it wasnt the same, you couldnt steal the weapons or steal from the till. I'd like to be able to hold the place up (obviously if this happened a sweet shop would be any easy but low-yield target while ammunation would be well secured but high-yield)

and you can aim a gun at the people, but they just put their hands up and then run. id prefer to have more detail, say grab a hold of a passer-by, drag them out of view and get money off them.... itd be a nice extra rather than just shooting them and taking any money they leave around

and even if there was that much radio, i dont think it was enough, maybe it was just me, but i always seemed to be hearing the same few ads or chatty bits and it got annoying quickly, and i guess it was just bad look but i always seemed to miss the songs that i really liked such as 'cars'

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Heh GTA: Ballymun :p, but on real terms id like it to be in a City not as Dark as Liberty City and still have the tropical setting that Vice city had (how i enjoyed my first ride on the Scooter down Ocean Beach with the sun blistering in full glory). I have the PC version but im not to sure if u can mug people on the street, if anybody knows can u let me know? Anywho id like to have the option to Make your own cars, and customise them like in GTA 2 with the Oil spills and such, a bigger vareity of weapons (as Vice city was to GTA3) and fix that Glitch where cars disappear if u turn around for 1 sec then turn back and there gone, and just maybe add biycicles or a skateboard for a fun alternative to cars and bikes. Itll be cool if you could also interact with pedestrains like talk to them such or as them to give you a lift. You could also do the paper routes on the Bike a la the Cheesy Pizza missions in VC, also the Hand to hand fighting could be tuned a bit so instead of just punch punch kick u could make up combos and maybe the inclusion of a knife to finish the person off. There are so much possibilites, but on the PS2 so little Memory to fit all the details on so once again GTA will be limited by the shoddy PS2 Capabilites

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If it ain't broke, don't fix it really.

I'd prefer a move back to a Liberty City style city, rather than Vice. The rumour is that'll be GTA San Andreas, a city based on San Fransisco and LA, which would be good.

I wouldn't be surprised if the combat system was overhauled, in response to True Crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

what do you mean the genre cant really expand ? i think its a v.fresh genre and theres endless things that can be done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

the 'if it aint broke' mentality is ok, but you wont be saying that when the next gta comes along as a carbon copy of VC, its not like the series is terrible and needs a drastic overhaul, it just needs to constantly update itself or else it will end up as a boring and worthless franchise

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

San andreas was my fav city in GTA, although a euro city would be pretty cool :P

maybe a 3d GTA london :P you have to admit london was the most comic releif of the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

well ok, i didnt finish vc 100% so i didnt get to enjoy weaponed helicopters.....
    You can steal one from the military base without getting 100%
    i was never able to rob shops, sure you could go in and shoot the guy in ammunation or something, but it wasnt the same, you couldnt steal the weapons or steal from the till. I'd like to be able to hold the place up
    You can hold up the shops (except ammunation). There's 15 of them to rob as far as I remember. Walk in and aim your weapon at the guy behind the counter. When you get up to 3 wanted stars, that's all the money you're going to get.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Frankly I'd be happy with another update like Vice City was. It's still fun to have a blast at it now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Multiplayer.

GTA is crying out for some multiplayer element.
    Whether it's incorporated into the next update or done as a seperate game, i think it'd add a great dimension to the game.

Killian

a multiplayer would rule! however, i remember reading an article somewhere during VC's pc release that a GTA multiplayer would happen, but when it did it would be a stand-alone, as they dont want to just throw it in with a normal single-player game as just a little side-game.
    I remember after the success of GTA 1 and 2 i heard about them making a 3d version (gta 3, obviously) which i was amazed by, but there was also talk of an online game, i remember it being called something like GTA:Special Criminal something or other, but it aint happened yet!

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Hopefully it will go back to being 2D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    Hopefully it will go back to being 2D.

Why? is your PC crap or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭mystik

I always thought he looked sorta like a dinosaur in the 2d games....hmm maybe that would work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

gameplay
    - ability to jump, climb and dodge
    - beat-em-up fight moves like soul calibur or tekken
    - gun control system like counter strike
    - ability to use the environment, interact and pick stuff up and use it
    - no doors that cant be opened
    - power ups, like steroids, pcp/angel dust, and beer
    - jet packs
    - better money system, banks, buy and sell markets etc
    - job systems like in some mmorpg
    - explosions, i want to be able to blow up entire buildings
    - realistic citizens, they talk back, are unpredictable, and remember

vehicles
    - high res graphics, like the downloadable cars
    - much better controls, steering wheel view, speedometers, gears
    - ability to shoot from all angles possible fom the car
    - better crash physics, if i crash at 100mph into a wall i want to see hugh explosion

multiplayer incorporating all of the above, and modding tools, and loads of other things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Originally posted by l3rian

- jet packs

WTF?

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I think its a thing you put on your back and makes you fly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

i would like to see it even a bit more open ended where you really feel you have to make a life for yourself, more houses, hideouts, cars, boats etc. The ability to break into peoples houses and rob stuff and then sell it on or use it in your own house. Being able to tune cars the way you want a la auto modellista maybe with your own garage. A bigger more realistic looking city - ocean beach looked fantastic and has a great feel to it but downtown looked hastily designed. maybe this was intentional to make it look like a sh*thole but i think ocean beach/washington looked so much better. More people to interact with, more gangs, the ability to properly form your own gang and be able to get people from other gangs to join yours. I know you had a gang when you take over the vercetti mansion but id like to expand that much more.

also of couse as many others have said - better fighting.

id like to be able to build your own gang up too, something like in gangsters,
    and a market would be cool too, where you could sell stock and launder money....

i think gta could really do with a rpg spin off, being able to chose jobs, alies etc would make it the ultimate crime-sim game

Flogen

Advertisement