Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do all flatscreens jitter?

• 27-11-2003 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

Do all flatscreens jitter? Just bought a 17 inch flatscreen. In general I'm happy but one things gets me!! well if you scroll down quickly it blurrs for miliseconds. Any ideas??? :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that's the response time.

whats the brand and model of your flat screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Its a Medion from our friends at Aldi!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

all lcd monitors have delays in response times - but they are coming down fast. Typically now a good tft monitor will have a response time of <25 ms (milliseconds).
    And the 'jitter' wont be visible

The best are now under 16ms.

A response time > 40ms (approx) is likely to show as jitter on fast moving images such as games or crazy scrolling. :)

I did a quick search of the internet and the only response time I found for a medion was 250ms!!! but Im leaning towards the idea that that was a misprint!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I did a quick search of the internet and the only response time I found for a medion was 250ms!!! but Im leaning towards the idea that that was a misprint!.

God I hope it was a misprint, thanks for the info!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

250ms can't be right. That would be the equivalent of a Stone Age TFT with manually carved tablets ;-)

For 15" or 17" TFT's you can get some very nice 16ms response times.

For 19" or larger you'll probably only get 25ms.

(The response time is the rise and fall times for an individual TFT Transistors added.)

Also, bear in mind that better quality TFT's tend to have a better image quality so the ghosting effect is noticable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Yea, my 17" has a 16ms response time and it's fine for games etc.

If you're using windows you might try and disable smooth scrolling, I can see that making it look dodgier, besides being annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

16ms here to NEC 1760NX :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Are CRT better than flat screens for games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You guys do know that all those 16ms screens are actually 16ms _for_a_certain_value_of_colours and not all the time. Read this and see what I mean, your 16ms screen could be one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Seifer
    Are CRT better than flat screens for games?

Depends on the game, and the quality of your monitor. But a cheap CRT would be better than a cheap TFT screen. With a TFT your stuck with one resolution (mainly) with CRTs you can use a much wider range. If you PC can't handle the game at the native res of the TFT then its a bit of a problem.

My 17" is 20ms and I don't have a problem with blurring. Mind you its one of the few TFT I tried that didn't blur. I tested it in the shop for dead pixels and to see if I was happy with the colours and speed. I was, so I bought it. Only problem is that its 1280x1024 which is an odd resolution and some games don't support it. But it can run at 1280x960 which most problem games support. IL2 and Falcon spring to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

16ms here too with the LG Flatron 1710B.... and wow, i love this monitor, its so much better than my old crt.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

have a 15" samtron 51s and i most of the tft's ive been looking at upgrading to a 19". i actually dont know what the response time is on my model. a quick google didnt turn anything up. is there a way to check this in windows or with an app.

so is 25ms an acceptable time or will that show as a flicker. most of the ones ive been looking at have 25ms

I'd wait until you can get 20ms on a 19", you would probably notice the jitter ( ghosting ) more on a bigger screen, always test them in a shop if that option is open to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Have to say that I'd definately check them out in person. Mine is 20ms and I think its fine. I checked mine in person before I bought it. But other ones I've seen have said 16ms and 20ms and I found them slow. Another advantage about checking it in person is you can be sure it has no dead pixels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Whosurpaddy :

I'd also wait until there are more 19" TFT's that support 1600x1200. They are few and far between atm - dell (US only) and viewsonic are the only ones I've seen. The rest are 1280x1024 which is no better than the 17"-ers.
    In fact given that you are seeing the same number of pixels on a bigger screen would tend to suggest to me that a 19" might actually look worse than a 17" of the same native resolution - although I can almost feel the corrections coming on that bit ;)

Yep 1600*1200 is what I'm waiting for *drools* DVI *slobber* ww) :D .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭weemcd

they have 15"tft fujitsu siemens montiors in school, and while doing work and browsing they are fine, wen you go to log off and the screen goes dark you can see this horrible flicker, if you were playing games on those monitors it would drive you insane. id advise ppl to stay well away from theese monitors.

Advertisement