Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop taking over the world

Options
  • 27-11-2003 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Interesting. And its always good news to have a new video/computer game store in Dublin.

But to be honest, after making a trip to Gamesworld on Liffey Street (where the Gamestop prices are now in place), it just doesn't seem to have any incentive over anywhere else. The prices aren't any different, but maybe that is just part of the changeover. We'll just have to wait and see.

Do you know when this new Gamestop will open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the prices of the second hand games seem to be ok in there. i picked up midnight club 2 for 30 and at 50 second hand in game thats not bad. plus they had broken sword 3 for 45(whick i would have got if id not seen wild arms 3 mispriced in game).
    they still just seem to be a carbon copy of the game format though.
    some small scale import stuff and maybe some rarities like the gamesworld of old might be nice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

henry st? brilliant!!
    is it IN hmv or next to it??
    I was just thinking that if they want to get anywhere they'll need to move out of the crap spot on liffey st as their main store.
    and ive noticed a slight difference on the prices, some console games seem to be afew euro less, such as fifa 2003 and lotr:return of the king. however I think theyre going to have to focus on sales etc, that will be where they get game, and hardware deals too.
    the fact that they also opperate a lowest price promise can only be a good thing too

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

its next to it. right beside arnotts. was down there today and it looks almost finished. might even be open tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I got off at Pearse Street DART station today this morning and suprisingly, they were handing out Gamestop catalouges, so I got a good idea of whats on offer.

They seem to have the Gamecube (bundle) prices all wrong: €200 for a Zelda: Wind Waker pack. Even more annoying is the fact that they push the Gamecube to a "suituable for younger gamers" and nothing else catagory, while the Playstation 2 and the Xbox fit under an 8 to 30+ demographic.

One thing of notice is the amount of freebies you can get with certain games. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (all platforms) for example, entitles you to a free Fellowship of the Ring DVD (2 disc version), Dino Crisis 3 entitles you to a free t-shirt etc.

The best deal I saw was the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: EE for €30; it goes for €45+ in GAME, HMV and Golden Discs. While its not a game as such, its a good sign of lower prices.

If, like Disco Stu experienced, they have low preowned costs, and give good markdowns on older games, I will shop there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

If it's the same store that i'm thinking off there are now two of them in limerick.
    Although Smiths still seem to be the cheapest in town.

Anyone else notice the PC section in these stores getting smaller and smaller .

actually, i was in smyths today in dub and they've added another shelf unit to pc. stiill though i know what you mean, i find it very difficult to find games i want, was tryin to get CoD today and couldnt find it, and when i was buying bf i had to go to game in grafton st to get it.

i noticed that the pc section in gamesworld/stop in omni is very poor, but it is a very poor shop at the moment anyway. Also, it seems to me that their pc prices arent very good, perhaps thats how they intend on cutting console prices, by marking up on pc.....sounds like a bad idea if they are, but i doubt it. you dont become 'the worlds largest yadeyader' by doing stupid things like that.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

wont be long till you have to buy pc game's over the net ......damn consoles are like virus's they keep muiltplying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Has Gamesworld become Gamestop now?
    If it has theres 2 or 3 in Cork anyway.
    Yea that could mean they are taking over the world alright , civilisation outside Dublin whats the world coming to?:D :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I buy most of my stuff in GameStop in Ennis and there is some good value to be had.

The preowned stuff (other than GBA) is slightly cheaper than Game. They also seem to be releasing some new PS2 stuff at €50. And a handful at €45 (Worms 3d for instance).

But the PC section is much smaller and far more expensive than the Game equivalent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Well earlier this week, i heard the old "Everything much cheaper on the web" been padled about on radio, so i did some research this morning,

eg, in HMV pavillions today....
    LOTR Two Tower box set extended version wit gollum model is €64.99
    LOTR Fellowship of the Ring 4 disc extended version is €49.99

Both together are €80.76 on certain "amazing" (wink wink) can i say the name of the brazillian rainforest and river here??? websites ....... incl post and packaging, and fair enough, you have to wait 6 or 7 days... but in the meantime, you could enjoy about 10 video rentals on the difference.

I will never shop in those ****ty little irish greedback scum infested money grabbing shops after today... oh by the way this includes PC games, X-Box games and PS2 games, all are cheaper by quite a bit, the more you buy in one order, the more you save too :)

was in the newly opened one in henry st today.

its basicly game with a ****e pc section, there was only one shelf unit with pc games on it! pathetic. some games might be €5 or so cheaper than game but nothing i noticed.

smyths is still miles ahead in most respects.

yeah was in there myself, the upstairs is still to be opened so maybe they might improve their pc section (and dvd) then

prince of persia was only €30, thats against €60 in game.... not a bad start, but WE shall see. I think we may be on the verve of a good price war here, but as someone pointed out, the net is always going to be better....

I think i have the perfect spot for gamestop on grafton st, you know where the sock shop used to be? right there beside GAME, that would be interesting, however i know it used to be owned by game and rented out, not sure if they still do that but i think they want to sell it off altogether. problem is the second floor is owned and used by GAME and i doubt theyd hand it over to anyone

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by jonski
    If it's the same store that i'm thinking off there are now two of them in limerick.
    It is and there are
    Originally posted by f®eak s©enery
    Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (all platforms) for example, entitles you to a free Fellowship of the Ring DVD (2 disc version)
    This seems to be a common deal - Xtravision are doing the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Smyths isn't half as good as it was. They've taken out most of the PC section in the Limerick. I don't see any non-Platinum games at budget prices anymore either. I picked up loads of great stuff like Gitarooman there in the past for €20/30 but they don't seem to be offering that kind of thing anymore.

what i said
    yeah was in there myself, the upstairs is still to be opened so maybe they might improve their pc section (and dvd) then

what smiaras said later
    In the gamestop on henry st yesterday, v.slick. They still haven't opened upstairs yet so there might be a bigger pc section there

read the previous posts for god sake!!!!!

also i saw that promo, and i have a feeling it was started as an after thought to counter the better price at gamestop. the fact is you still pay €60 if you want to get POP

Flogen

Advertisement