Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iolbb or zonealarm problem

• 28-11-2003 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

got my broadband yesterday, happy with it so far wasn't expecting to get it till tomorrow or even next week!

here's my problem (prob zone alarm) i was trying to d/l some unreal tournament maps yesterday from an ftp site, wouldn't work!! also when trying to play ut on-line it just completly froze up xp when d/l server list
    anyone know why this is?
    how do i go about fixing this?

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

IOL have disabled ICMP traffic ....

i'm not 100% certain on how UT populates the server list .....

but I know when I'm playing on LAN (i'd only have the one server in the list anyway ... the pc hosting the game) it shows the ping

BKDZR ... do you know if UT uses ICMP for populating the server list???

Daniel

Originally posted by jozi
    here's my problem (prob zone alarm) i was trying to d/l some unreal tournament maps yesterday from an ftp site, wouldn't work!!
    Jozi

That's either a problem on the host's end, or your firewall stopping you from getting to the FTP port on their server, try disabling the FTP port block on ZoneAlarm and try again

If you still have trouble, it's prob the site itself

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

for the love of god!! Its terrible to see the way people only read parts of threads....

disabling ICMP traffic has next to NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on day to day usage, they only thing that i know of that is affected is (surprise surprise) DOS pings.

On my software firewall i have all ICMP traffic blocked, and i can still play online, and ping servers etc.

I believe that was pointed out several times on this thread: ICMP thread
    here's my problem (prob zone alarm) i was trying to d/l some unreal tournament maps yesterday from an ftp site, wouldn't work!!

Now for the problem solving... There have been problems associated with Zone Alarm in the past, my advice is uninstall it and install Kerio Personal Firewall . This is a great free firewall, never had problems with it. Also make sure you have the inbuilt firewall disabled in Windows XP (if you have that).

Lastly, if that doesn;t work, comtact your ISP. THat should hopefully fix UT2003 and FTP problems

EDIT: sorry if i sound like i'm freaking out, but i hate the way one persons wondering "what happens if ICMP is blocked" becomes someone elses concrete fact that it screws everything up.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    for the love of god!! Its terrible to see the way people only read parts of threads....

disabling ICMP traffic has next to NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on day to day usage, they only thing that i know of that is affected is (surprise surprise) DOS pings.

On my software firewall i have all ICMP traffic blocked, and i can still play online, and ping servers etc.

now now, no need to freak out! :)

it was just a thought .... after enabling the built in firewall in XP Pro over a pc's ethernet card UT (and other lan games) acted up on me .....

dont go freaking out :p

it was just a thought :) but if it helps, i'll stop thinking :)

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Just shutdown ZA for the moment and use the XP firewall. If you still have problems they it's not ZA. If you don't, then it was ZA and you can replace it with Tiny or Kerio or something. ZA is probably the best firewall tho imho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement