Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLink and Eircom problems?

• 28-11-2003 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi all

Has anyone had any issues using a dlink 504 router/ dfl-500 firewall and Eircoms ADSL.

Thank you

Paddyo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Like??? I just got one two days ago and I didn't know some of the proper settings to get it working but a quick question on boards and I got my answer!. VCI = 8 VPI = 35 or the other way around.......:D, try putting that into the router settings. What problems are you having, connection problems?.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Thanks for the reply.

Its not a settings problem - The firewall and router are configured properly.

It keeps losing its connection to eircom intermitantly- Eircom say that the line is OK and are blaming the Dlink hardware. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar setup and similar problems.

thanks

Paddyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

paddy are you getting line error's in your 'Line Condition' on the DSL 504?

my line disconnects quite regularly on its own (once or twice a day), but I put that down to a few line errors that I'm getting.

The router is on a customer site - so I dont have access to it all the time - particularly when it goes down!

Eircom have 'tested' the line and gave it the all clear.

When yours disconnects, do you have any problem reconnecting it?

Paddyo

How often does this happen??? cause the IP address given to the router is not permanent, so basically every 24 hours(I think) you get disconnected and given a new IP address....... That can't be right!, I know I'm making some stupid mistake here:p, can anyone who knows how this works actually explain it?. All I know is your IP address is not static it's dynamic and it gets changed every day - or so.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Paddyo
    When yours disconnects, do you have any problem reconnecting it?

sometimes I do, yes. But its down to the router when it won't reconnect (its set at connect on demand). Its just luck if it connects.. sometimes it just stays in the 'connecting' display indefinitely. I have tried 3 routers on my line and I have found the Zyzel Prestige 645 router to be the best at reconnecting itself to the internet. Usually does it every time, where as the Dlink does it half the time....

We have the Dlink 504/500 combo on a few different sites, but I've never had this problem of disconnecting on the sites, only at home. We also have the Prestige on a number of sites and found that router to be the most reliable

Ohh and another thing is that this router gets very hot so because of the heat I think it's possible that it can crash......where is the router placed inside a hot stuffy cupboard???. Check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Khanis

I have aD-Link 504 and I'm having serious problems. It works fine and then intemittently just stops working and I get a PPPOe not found error message. I've tried letting the router cool down and have unplugged it, reset to factory settings and reconfigured it ad nauseum.

Bottom line is it only seems to work when the fates will it.

Anyone got any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

Are there any firmware updates on the dlink site for the 504? Would they help? I have the 604 plus and a firmware upgrade severely reduced the problems I was having.

ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/ thats the link to the ftp server there are two DSL - 504 options mine is 504b.....so check for yours, this ftp server is not easy to find it was not even shown on the product description page.

• Advertisement

yeah I've updated my 504 to latest firmware (two files to download). Its helped, but not a huge amount. Problem does not occur as often as it did before upgrade. I have the two files that are needed for the upgrade

My original firmware was R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk. Its now R2.21.002.06.b14uk

If anyone wants the files to update, I'll send them to you

That's my fw and I've not come across any problems - so far so sweet!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

thx for posting this . ive had the same probloms .

This may seem like a strange question - but have there been any sudden power cuts after which all of the problems have started?

Paddyo

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sgbrady

when you turn off your modem/router your ip address will change when you turn it back on your ip address will also change if you reset,restart or disconnect from the internet i hope this helps people to understand when or why your ip address changes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are you trying to get into the Guinness Book of Records for answering the oldest posts or something like that????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

sgbrady, I don't know how you're even finding these threads, but stop bumping threads that are 8 years old.

Advertisement