Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL's cap dead?

• 28-11-2003 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

i was just surfing aroudn ntl.ie and their broadband site doesnet mention anything about a cap anymore. is it dead, or did the site go weird and all old content came back? the last time i checked the site there was stuff about xbox live and they dident mention that you had to live somewhere specific either. any news?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

It still says that that the 'Allowable Data Usage' is 1GB per day
    See http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭roryodonnell

The website DID mention a 1gb cap last week. It now says

allowable data usage - unlimited

I rang "Sales", cause i'd get through quicker (cunning fox me) and asked them about it. I first got through to a girl name Onyia (sorry I know I spelt it wrong, if your looking). She was talking out of her blond arse. Firstly, she mentioned that there was a Mega Day limit lol. I asked her to clarify, because I'd never heard of the term "Megaday", unless she was referring to a day trip to Mosney, she asked me would I hold. Held I did.

She came back and announced that there was, in fact, a 1 Meg limit (Meg a day, or "megaday" as above). I laughed. I asked her was she sure. "Yes, I asked", she said.

I mentioned that the website states "download a 3MB MP3 file in 50 seconds", I would break my limit 16.666666666666666666666666666667 seconds (thanks calc.exe)

She went back to clarify. "Oh yes, its a gig".

I asked if she could transfer me to somebody from the bowels of the PR dept. She put me through to a man name Liam Coe. Nice man. He explained that its to protect other users from the heavy downloaders, which is fair enough. He said the 1 gig limit was purely a RDA. Reccommended Daily Allowance for all you whimps who eat breakfast. He said that it wouldn't be monitored on a daily basis but maybe over a montly basis, around 30gigs. He wasn't commiting to anything as their policy wasn't cast in stone, perferring a wait and see approach.

I asked about the term "Always-On".

"Yes, you can remained connected, but theres a 1 gig theorethical limt."

"for always-on 600kbps service, its on your website", I retorted.

"1 gig RDA, I can't really say".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Good story, roryodonnell! Typical of any sales person there really - assume that the punter is thick and tell them whatever you think they want to hear if it results in making a sale. Unfortunately for them, they are often too stupid to realise when the punter is not actually stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

that's just the (old,) old page that they had up a few months ago. iirc, they often made the same mistake with their telephone charges pages... like putting up the old pounds prices again when we had been using the euro for months :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

hmmm. well hopefully they dont start monitoring their service. i have just install gentoo linux and everything was downloaded from source. about 2.5gb in about a day. and over the last few days i downloaded an other 2gb. i think i have gone over my limit, but no one said anything so ill continue downloading. the last time they said anything about a cap they said you have a warning first, then somethign else happens, and then a few more thigns and finally they cut you off. but why they would cut a paying customer off is a bit stupid. i know them limit and all that, but still.

• Advertisement
Advertisement