Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot Connect

Options
  • 28-11-2003 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I just bought a US Robitics External USB Faxmodem (USR015633) but keep getting either a 'no dial tone' error message (680) or the a 678 error appears at same time handshake sound ends when I try to connect. I was able to connect once with the modem, so it's probably not damaged. I had call answering from Eircom, but I cancelled the service yesterday to see if that was causing the problem.
    I've followed the support info on the USR website with no luck. I sent them a couple of emails, but they haven't responded.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or can you help?

Help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

If you were using another modem on the machine check that its drivers are removed. Check your dial up networking connections to see what modem your connection is trying to use.

Error 678 is "The Computer You Are Dialing Into Is Not Answering" so check the number you are using for your ISP is correct. Try creating a new connection to dial your mobile number and if it rings then your modem is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 santo

Thanks Colin.
    USR Support finally replied to my emails. They sent me new drivers that weren't on their website. I installed the new drivers and was able to connect
    the first time I tried it. When I disconnected, I could not re-connect. On
    the first two attempts I got an engaged tone. The third, and subsequent
    times I tried to connect, I received the 'no dial tone' message again.

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks

Did you try what I already suggested?

Plug out all the phones in your house. Have nothing plugged into any phone socket in your house other than your modem. See if you can consistently connect then.

What version of Windows have you got?

PS - how are you currently online? Have you another computer with a modem connected to the phoneline in your house by any chance?

Colin
    I'm on Windows XP
    I haven't removed the previous modem drivers. I was connecting using this modem.
    I unplugged all of the other phone lines as suggested.
    I'm now able to connect consistently if I unplug the phone jack from the modem and plug it back in again.
    If I disconnect and try to reconnect and don't unplug the phone line from the modem I get an engaged tone.
    The connection speed is only averaging about 33k though.

Thanks for your help so far.
    Any suggestions on how to get better connection speed?

I can be just about certain then that the problem is caused by the cabling from the socket to the modem, if you can connect again only after plugging it out from the phone socket and back in again.

Did you get a beige plastic splitter device with the modem you bought? This splits the cable for two sockets labelled "phone" and "line". As well as splitting, it is wired in some way that prevents the symptom you are describing. Use it if you have it, otherwise you should be able to get one from a telecoms shop or maybe a hardware store. The splitter looks similar to this:
    354633_F8V109.jpg

If you are only getting 33.6k it is possible that your modem is not using the specific USR drivers, but instead the "standard modem" drivers. Check that it is a v90 capable model also, as if it isn't, you will only get 33.6k. You should be able to get the serial number of the modem from a sticker on the bottom of it. There's a section on the USR website that should tell you how to check what firmware the modem has got and it is probably possible to upgrade your modem to v90 spec with a firmware update if it is not v90 capable already.

• Advertisement

Colin, I was already using the splitter. The one I got with the modem was for one of those BT lines I think.
    The driver I'm using is the one USR tech support emailed to me so I assume it's the right one.
    The modem is v92 compliant. There were no firmware updates for this model on their website as far as I can make out: http://www.usr-emea.com/support/s-prod-template.asp?loc=unkg&prod=5633

Cheers

Today, when I booted up the computer, I keep getting 692 error messages saying there is a problem with the hardware. I haven't changed any settings.
    Any ideas?

Error 692 is "Hardware failure in port or attached device" - was your modem powered on at the time? Have a look here for more on this error.

With regard to the splitter, you are plugging the cable into the socket marked "line" on it yeah? If so, try plugging the splitter into the modem and running the cable from the splitter to the wall socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the splitter is quite probably part of the problem. try taking off anything extra you might have attached to the line, such as cable extensions, splitters and anything else plugged into the same line even if they are in different sockets in the house.

if it works OK after that then try re-attaching the extra stuff one by one testing it again as you go, and you'll find out what's causing the problem.

its quite a common problem that is usually caused by some bad wiring somewhere. its just a matter of finding out where.

Advertisement