Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how long to get a newly bought car onto the road ?

Options
  • 28-11-2003 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Greetings All ,

I imported my last car (major hassle.. :) ), and will buy a used card from a local dealer soon

Until now I know that you have to pay/get the VRT, get insurance and pay motor tax.
    Sounds simple.. (too simple .. ?), but I've got no idea how long these processes will actually take and which ones the dealer can do for me. Starting work early, finishing late... really no time to hunt down papers and stuff. :(

Any info would be much appreciated.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you are about to buy a used car there is NO VRT to pay if the car has Irish registration plates (which I'm sure will be the case).

If the car has a valid road tax disk in the windscreen then you wont have to worry about that until it is due to be renewed. Insurance will have to be sorted out before you drive the car home! If the car has no valid disk make sure you get a new disk as soon as possible. The car dealer will give you a piece of paper with the date of sale on it which you show the police if you get stopped.

If you have never had insurance in your own name before but have been "named" driver on say your parents policy then phone that insurance company
    and see how much they'll charge you if the price sounds too high that phone around or try a broker who will find a deal for you.

Mike.

Advertisement