Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swopping hard drives

Options
  • 28-11-2003 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

A computer running win98 with a Fat32 hard drive is f^&*ed and I wanna get files off it before I re format it. I cant burn or zip disc it off because the machine is F%^&ed. So I was gonna put the hard disc into another machine which is running winXP.

Can it be done? I mean will both win 98 and XP try to compete with each other, I only want to swap it for about a minute , jst enough time to copy files onto other working machine.

Can it be done? Or is there another way of getting files off a f**ked machine?

Hertz

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If the hard drive is fine, just take it out and either put it into the xp computer as a secondary hard drive, or just a straight swap.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Set the jumpers to slave and put it on the secondary connection on the IDE cable for the XP hard drive.

With any luck you should be able to pull the files on to the other hard drive.

If you just want to boot it on it's own, win 98 will probly complain about drivers here and there but don't see why it wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Yeah, Il be booting off the main XP hard disc, thats NTFS, win98 Fat32 hard disc will be a slave. Ok Thanks I lgive it a go.

Hertz

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The XP machine will probably have cable select - so you may not change jumpers (or set to CS)

the other tip is to use the cable from your CD rom - like the old HDD it will be expecting a primary master on it (and is probably a little more accessible - esp on desktop rather than tower)

Advertisement