Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q3A is not gold yet(nt)

Options
  • 23-11-1999 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

nt - i did warn ya

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Don't know about that sudsie: here's what Carmack has to say. Sounds pretty final to me.

Al.

Ahhhh.... I am very happy with how Q3 turned out. Probably more than any game we have done before, it's final form was very close to its initial envisioning.

I will be getting all the Q3 code we are going to release together over the next week or so. I will write some overview documentation to give a little context, and since you can do game mods without needing a commercial compiler now, I will write a brief step-by-step to modifying the game code. I'm looking forward to what comes out of the community with Q3.

The rough outline of what I am going to be working on now:

We will be supporting Q3 for quite some time. Any problems we have will get fixed, and some new features my sneak in. I have two rendering technologies that I intend to write research engines for. I am going to spend some time on computer vision problems. I think the cheap little web cams have some interesting possibilities. I am going to explore some possibilities with generalizing 3D game engines into more powerful environments with broader uses. I think that a lot of trends are coming to the point where a "cyberspace" as it is often imagined is begining to be feasible.

I am going to spend more time on some Free Software projects. I have been stealing a few hours here and there to work on the matrox glx project for a while now, and it has been pretty rewarding. People with an interest in the guts of a 3D driver might want to look at the project archives at http://glx.on.openprojects.net/ .The web pages aren't very up to date, but the mailing list covers some good techie information.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Suffice to say that it 'aint gold until an official press release from the publishers, Activision. It appears that id are finished but the publishers 'aint.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭IGN News

and this weeks winner of the prize for the most petty jibe at a software product will be announced later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

can i point out I was informing ye of fact ?

Nothing else?

To be fair to Musician, you're incorrect.

Fact is the truth, as in what's correct.

Obviously you were not correct, as we quickly pointed out.

Thanks,
    Al.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Actually I was agreeing with Suds. It's not Gold and that's the official line from Activision.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

its prolly that the programmers are done and in their eyes it tested and finished, so therefore its gold as far as their concerned. But activision (who distribute the end product) have not said so yet, therefore its not gold (but very close to being so)

lol, soz bout that M!

Anyways I still reckon if there's no bloody development work going on it's hardly still in development! smile.gif

and if it's finished development then it is what will be released.

and the release is known as gold.

I reckon even you guys can follow that logic... only kidding wink.gif

All flames to /dev/null plz smile.gif

Al.

/me hids in the bunker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

It will be announced as 'Gold' once Activision's testing of this RC is done - they're hardly going to get the latest burn from id and send it straight to duplication.

So at the moment, imho, it's at 'final release candidate' stage. tongue.gif

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

Lads,

I've been a programmer on a team for a product for worldwide release by IBM which was probably more anticipated then Q3 (yes 1.4 million dl's isnt much to HALs big bro).

"Going gold" was a term to indicate that they were burning it onto gold CD's which were more expensive then the usual ones used. It didnt originate in IBM who I expect used gold CDs all the time.

Programmers would talk about "going gold" when they werent allowed touch the code anymore. Its called "code freeze" and it would appear to have happened to Q3.

Why this is important to us... I have no idea.

We want it to be released soon, yes, we want to know that its passed a milestone, it has.

Whether or not Activision or any other ponce with a ponytail says its Gold or not is irrelevant.
    The important piece of information in knowing that a product has gone "gold" is that the developers are not being allowed tinker with it anymore.

Q3 has gone gold.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Like the man said! smile.gif

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Mindless fight over smile.gif

Quake III Really Gold [loonyboi-1:12 PM EST]
    We just received this mini-press release from Activision with word that
    Quake III Arena has officially gone gold, and will be in stores on December
    12th. Here's the scoop:

November 23, 1999 - Santa Monica, Calif. - Activision today announced that
    Quake III Arena has gone gold. Developed by id Software, Quake III Arena is
    the third installment of one of the most popular computer game franchises of
    all time and is designed to be the final word in online multiplayer mayhem.
    The title, which was sent into manufacturing today, is expected to hit
    retail shelves on Dec. 12, 1999 at a suggested price of $49.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Hmmmm I wouldnt be telling too many ppl about OS/2 Devsers... wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

OS/2 rox!

it never crashes.
    it never freezes (as much as windows!)
    it multitasks faster and beteter than windows.

its completely user unfriendly and theres nothing out for it.
    actually yeah..its a load of sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

well it _is_ better than Linux, which is something i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I miss Dos sad.gif

(and yes, I do run Win9 sunglasses.gif

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

Who said anything about OS/2?

If I recall correctly there was a ground swell of opinion from "the community" that os/2 was going to be the windows killer, lots of open-sourcey things went on... and then it died because it wasnt windows.

Linux may well live on on servers, but its never ever taking the desktop market and eventually even the server side will die (just my opinion, I know many dont agree with it).

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well Linux is expanding at a phenomenal rate as far as the world of big business and server side applications is concerned; simply because its open source, its easy to get what you want done and theres tons of support around if you need it.

Its highly unlikely that linux will ever catch on in the home market, simply because its far too complex for the average user; enthusiasts only please smile.gif.

os/2 was damn good. But a system is only as good as its software, for that reason os/2 is practically dead and buried at this stage. (anyway it was an attempt on ibm's part to get everyone using THEIR standards again, hey the 80's are gone lads smile.gif)

but wasnt this about Q3? smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

OS2? so its his fault? smile.gif

Advertisement